Sponsored by:

Belt Problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2012 | 03:52 AM
nbuyabis
Advanced

Default Belt Problems

Hi Guys,

I have been having serious problems with my alternator/fan belt, it keeps breaking all the time. Furthermore, as can be seen in the following pics, it flips upside down in preparation of breaking up.
Ive noticed some rust in the crank pulley.
Im just clueless on how to solve it.

thanks

Najeeb
--------------
'95 993 Iris blue

Last edited by nbuyabis; 01-07-2013 at 03:55 AM.
Old 06-10-2012 | 07:55 AM
guards red
Racer

Hi,

I think that firstly you need to establish why one stud is so much longer than the others. Take them all out and make sure they are all fully threaded in and seated as if one isn't in, the pulley will flex as it goes round throwing the belt. Also, do you have any shims between the pulley halves which determine the belt tension?

Having said that, looking at the amount of belt deflection at the belt sensor I would say the belt is either way to loose or you have the wrong belt.

Hope that helps
GR

Last edited by guards red; 06-10-2012 at 11:55 AM.
Old 06-10-2012 | 09:46 AM
e9stibi
Drifting

Originally Posted by guards red
Hi,

I think that firstly you need to establish why one stud is so much longer than the others. Take them all out and make sure they are all fully threaded in and seated as if one isn't in, the pulley will flex as it goes round throwing the belt. Also, do you have any shims between the pulley halves which determine the belt tension?

Having said that, looking at the amount of belt deflection at the belt sensor I would say the belt is either way too lose or you have the wrong belt.

Hope that helps
GR
+2
Old 06-10-2012 | 02:43 PM
sparetireless
Racer

Default I just had the bearing on the sensor go out

then the little wheel stops spinning and cuts the belt then you call for a flat bed.
Old 06-10-2012 | 09:34 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Default Pully update for belt failure experience.

There is a pully update for the 993 with cast metal pully halfs. I did the update years ago. Some cars had problems some didn't. I noticed the red fan. I have not seen this on a 993 before. Is your fan the stock set-up or did some previous owner do somthing?

I have attached the technical info on the pully update.
Andy
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
pully update.pdf (21.0 KB, 158 views)
Old 06-10-2012 | 09:44 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Default Where is the doupbel pully

On my stock 1996 993 there sre two pullys one attaches to the end of the alternator shaft the other drives the fan at different rate. Seems different than your pictures. See attached
Attached Images  
Old 06-10-2012 | 11:17 PM
kjr914
Drifting

+3 on guards red's comments. Belt is way loose, should deflect 1/4" or so from straight with finger pressure. If the pressure of the sensor is doing that, its loose. Remove shims between pulley halves to tighten.

btw, with the RS Pulley set up you can remove the sensor now (search for how to avoid a permanent dash light)....you'll get an alternator warning light if that belt goes now anyways.
<edit>Also a reason to get rid of the sensor, the sensor wheel has been known to self destruct, then can wear the belt and take it out. hmmmmmm, convincing myself to do the RS pulley conversion now...

Originally Posted by pp000830
There is a pully update for the 993 with cast metal pully halfs. I did the update years ago. Some cars had problems some didn't. I noticed the red fan. I have not seen this on a 993 before. Is your fan the stock set-up or did some previous owner do somthing?
pp,
this is the RS pulley setup that combines the normally separate fan & alternator belts into 1. Do a search on "RS pulley" for more info. Due to this, there is no need for the updated (outer) alternator pulley you reference, because its just not there. And his fan has been painted.

Last edited by kjr914; 06-11-2012 at 02:49 AM. Reason: added info...
Old 06-10-2012 | 11:41 PM
dsmyth
Rennlist Member

I think your sensor will also be vibrating like crazy on that belt with all the indents in it. Try a porsche or similar belt. As others have said its not a tensioner (the round roller) only rides on the belt to show it's not broken. It should not be pushing in on the belt.
Old 06-12-2012 | 04:52 PM
black ice
Three Wheelin'

Replace with factory belts. Aftermarket are typically not sized exactly 760mm and 776mm. Don't know if that's why, but I've had a couple failures with aftermarket and none with factory.
Disassemble your pulleys and see if any shims present. If not, likely too tight. Get a crikt belt tensioner and figure out how to use it. Not perfect but will do the trick.
Recommend you get replacement bolts for fan pulley before you start as a precaution.
Old 06-12-2012 | 04:54 PM
black ice
Three Wheelin'

Oh, can't see pics on my phone. Sounds like you have RS setup from thread.
Old 11-20-2012 | 07:12 PM
Q8drill
Advanced

Hi gents,

Where i can buy the pulley halfs online, i have the same problem, The dealer in my reagion does not know about the updated pulley.

Thanks
Old 11-20-2012 | 08:13 PM
Rutger Gert-Jan
Advanced

The pulley ont the red cooling fan does not look right, I have a RS pulley and it does not have studs, just the 3 bolts. The pulley on the red fan is also chromed?

What I also would like to know: how is it possible that a V-belt gets turned up-side down during normal operarition? (too lose?)
Old 11-20-2012 | 08:35 PM
kjr914
Drifting

Originally Posted by Q8drill
Hi gents,
Where i can buy the pulley halfs online, i have the same problem, The dealer in my reagion does not know about the updated pulley.
Thanks
Search for "alternator pulley update" here on RL for more info.

HOWEVER, first figure out why you have the same problem as the OP.....is your belt tensioned properly? (The OP's belt is far too loose.) Lookup "Kriket" (which is the belt tension measurement tool) or "belt tension".

Originally Posted by Rutger Gert-Jan
The pulley ont the red cooling fan does not look right, I have a RS pulley and it does not have studs, just the 3 bolts. The pulley on the red fan is also chromed?

What I also would like to know: how is it possible that a V-belt gets turned up-side down during normal operarition? (too lose?)
Can't comment on RS pulley version or bolts. Pulley might be silver, but the rim is also being regularly polished by the loose belts that get thrown so it may be shiny because of that. As well the front of fan is showing some "polish" itself...
Old 11-20-2012 | 09:20 PM
cabrio993
Race Car

As others have stated, start by using the proper Porsche OEM belt. Any other belt doesn't have the right V profile, or are slighly different in size causing CEL's and other gremlins.

Also, maybe an optical illusion, but I see a small dent on the crank pulley? I see it on your first 2 pictures, close to where the belt is at the bottom. Check closely and make sure that there is not a dent or a pinch on that pulley as it may be squeezing the belt out.
Old 11-21-2012 | 06:59 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dsmyth
I think your sensor will also be vibrating like crazy on that belt with all the indents in it.

His photo's show the belt flipped upside down = the indents.
:-)

Quick Reply: Belt Problems