Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

993 Front Windshield Replacement Cost

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2012, 01:49 PM
SimonM_98
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had my windshield replaced a little over a year ago. At the time I asked for a genuine oem replacement and was told that Pilkington had bought out Sekurit but that the glass was made at the same factory in Germany. Anyway the windshield looks identical but had Pilkington at the bottom left where previously it had said Sekurit.

I think it came to around $1200 including the installation.
Old 06-06-2012, 02:22 PM
BobbyT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

About a year ago, $1500 for new genuine Porsche windshield (Pilkington markings) and new Porsche seals, work done at dealer (Walter's in Riverside) by a sub who comes to the dealer. According to Walter's, he has done Porsches for them for 17 years.

Fast forward one year to the first time I drove the car in a light rain--it leaked at the top right corner. Took it back to the dealer, installer came and squirted some more sealant into the suspect area, after trying to convince me the leak was actually around the door seals.

After this experience, I think I would skip the dealer, take the car to a good glass shop, try to find an installer who had Porsche experience, and insist on Porsche glass/seals.
Old 06-06-2012, 02:52 PM
NP993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I need to replace my windshield because of excessive pitting, and checked with Sunset last week -- $757 plus shipping. FWIW.
Old 06-06-2012, 03:19 PM
e9stibi
Drifting

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

I paid $1700 total at a Porsche dealership and did not go through the hassle with sunset because it was an insurance claim. I offered it to my insurance but they said it is not worth the hassle.

If I needed to pay it out of my pocket: Sourcing of the windshield at Sunset with local installation.
Old 06-06-2012, 04:22 PM
993RUF
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TravisB
You guys who have had windshields replaced...does the new rubber trim on the outside fit normally? Mine folds in the gap and looks pretty bad. Glass installer says that's normal and the best I can expect and suggested filling the gap with silicone. That last bit makes me think I need to find a competent installer to attempt to re-do it.

There's a guy in Kirkland who I'd highly recommend. He installed my windshield and I've have no issues. A lot of Porsche shops use him.

I'd have him take a look.

Name; Mark Haga
Service auto glass
Ph 425-821-9810

no affiliation

Greg
Old 06-06-2012, 04:52 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,373 Likes on 794 Posts

In an interesting coincidence, the shaded 993 windshield is $911 shipped from parts.com
Old 06-06-2012, 07:04 PM
TravisB
Pro

Originally Posted by C2S
There's a guy in Kirkland who I'd highly recommend. He installed my windshield and I've have no issues. A lot of Porsche shops use him.

I'd have him take a look.

Name; Mark Haga
Service auto glass
Ph 425-821-9810

no affiliation

Greg

Want to know the funny part? That's who did it. I just got back from Euroglass, they were shocked that's who did this (unsure if it was Mark himself or not, they said he's got a few mobile guys as well as this was done at a body shop, who also gave me an uncharacteristically bad experience based on RL reports). They agreed, the workmanship on it is pretty bad. I'm not sure if I want to try and have him fix it or not, I'd wait until I need another windshield but the guys at Euroglass confirmed my leak that I thought were door seals is the windshield installation.
Old 06-06-2012, 08:54 PM
993RUF
Addict
Rennlist Member

I'd take your car in to his shop and have Mark himself install it. I watched him do mine at his shop. He would want to know if one of his mobile guys is doing bad installs.
Old 06-06-2012, 10:02 PM
TravisB
Pro

Originally Posted by C2S
I'd take your car in to his shop and have Mark himself install it. I watched him do mine at his shop. He would want to know if one of his mobile guys is doing bad installs.

Yeah, that's what I am attempting to do..tough guy to track down though. The one time I got him on the phone a few months ago, he sounded familiar with the car so I assumed he did it himself. The way the guys at Euroglass talked about him, I have a hard time believing that. There seemed to be a lot of 993-rookie mistakes made by the way they were picking it apart, and they know he's done more than a couple. Nothing that's unrecoverable, but certainly been a pain in the *** for me.
Old 06-06-2012, 10:05 PM
NP993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by C2S
X2

That glass isn't installed right. He should fix it at no cost. Simple as that.
Old 06-07-2012, 08:45 PM
TravisB
Pro

Originally Posted by NP993
X2

That glass isn't installed right. He should fix it at no cost. Simple as that.

Finally got a hold of Mark and swung by his shop on my way home. His tune changed 180 degrees after he took a look and will be doing a R&R, hopefully a week from today I'll have it back and squared away!

The bad part is that it was likely the body shop (heck while we're name dropping, Haury's Lake City Collision) that caused the issues by not allowing enough cure time before setting their detail monkey(s) loose on it.

Talk about a threadjack, hah..anyway, OP, expect it to be around $1400 or so for glass and labor.
Old 06-08-2012, 12:53 AM
993RUF
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TravisB
Finally got a hold of Mark and swung by his shop on my way home. His tune changed 180 degrees after he took a look and will be doing a R&R, hopefully a week from today I'll have it back and squared away!

The bad part is that it was likely the body shop (heck while we're name dropping, Haury's Lake City Collision) that caused the issues by not allowing enough cure time before setting their detail monkey(s) loose on it.

Talk about a threadjack, hah..anyway, OP, expect it to be around $1400 or so for glass and labor.
Glad you got it sorted
Old 06-08-2012, 02:35 AM
96_993TT
Racer

I just had my windshield done by EuroGlass in Redmond, WA. They're located next to Queen City. My install was $1,502.48 which included the windshield (Sekurit OEM in the lower corner), new inner and outer rubber and labor. No squeaks for rattles. Rubber lays in perfect. They know what they're doing. Both Queen City and Barrier recommended them to do the install.
Old 06-08-2012, 07:59 AM
mjsporsche
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 91 Posts

Finding a great installer is more important than the glass.....why you might ask? Because a great installer will not mess around with problematic glass.

And some novice (or just plain bad) installers use sharp instruments to get out the glass from the seals and they score the paint and a few years later you have rust bubbles.

Buy the installer. Not the glass.

Mark
Old 06-08-2012, 06:31 PM
TravisB
Pro

Originally Posted by 96_993TT
I just had my windshield done by EuroGlass in Redmond, WA. They're located next to Queen City. My install was $1,502.48 which included the windshield (Sekurit OEM in the lower corner), new inner and outer rubber and labor. No squeaks for rattles. Rubber lays in perfect. They know what they're doing. Both Queen City and Barrier recommended them to do the install.

Yeah, those guys are great, talked my ear off and I now know more than I ever wanted to know about 993 windshields. Said they'd be in heaven if they could just line up 993's and do only those all day, every day. Truly a class act operation!

Quick Reply: 993 Front Windshield Replacement Cost