Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turbo tail on a C4S - need some insight from those that have done that.

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2012, 10:38 AM
J.B.H.
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine had the turbo decklid on it when I purchased the 993.....I do run it with the OEM snorkel and have noticed cooler running with vs. without. NJ you tend to get caught in some traffic...
Old 05-26-2012, 12:50 PM
993inNC
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I suppose that could be true. Stop and go is harsh and air isn't moving over the wing like it does at 135 mph + But for WOT abuse, it starves the motor terribly.

Love the look of those wheels on yours BTW
Old 05-26-2012, 02:57 PM
firesm
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 993inNC
Butt meter at the track with and without snorkel
Plus it has a bend in it and pinches down to a much small diameter than without. If you consider taking the snorkel and/or the original trumpet out of the air box completely, you get the biggest open area for air intake. Considering I could put my hand on most any part of my motor even after a hard track session proves that the air under a fixed Turbo wing (orig or aftermarket) tends to remain more than cool enough for motor operation without the need to choke the intake with the snorkel.

Scientific proof...........nope
Ah yes - the famous rennlist butt meter... thankfully that's one tool that can't be loaned out via mail! I was just curious. The po of my car cut out the lid to the air box to resemble a cup car box, so it's really just a frame. When I bought the car I thought it would probably be better to have a proper lid so I purchased a new motorsound version. When I installed it I didn't notice any difference in performance but I didn't like the sound as much so I switched back. Last year I bought a turbo trumpet as part of a bunch of parts and as soon as my RS wing gets back from the painter (any day now... as of a week ago) I'm going to throw it on to see if directing a little more cool air to the intake will make any difference... but I doubt it. But, then again, my butt meter may need a recalibrating... that doesn't sound good...
Old 05-26-2012, 03:39 PM
993inNC
Race Car

Originally Posted by firesm
my butt meter may need a recalibrating... that doesn't sound good...
I believe I might have left that last one out of the writeup

If you're just DD the car, it may not be noticeable to the meter, but at WOT it's instantly noticeable. Looks good, but that's about it.
I may have to try the cup box style cover. I don't track the car any more but I love the sound of the car anytime
Old 05-26-2012, 04:15 PM
clib
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 65 Posts

I think there are some old threads where someone actually measure air intake temps with/without snorkel. I imagine its small but when I put the fixed lid on the posts seemed well thought out. It wasn't a case of more/less air vs the original airbox inlet, it was just where the air was coming from. The stock retractable wing designed in a way the lowers the under lid air temps, the fixed wing not but there's an intercooler there also in its TT design. who knows the significance. I just liked it pointing straight up on rainy days and marveling at how it wasn't a problem
Old 05-26-2012, 04:17 PM
clib
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 65 Posts

I did this also. surprisingly easy to find OEM decklids in good shape, even in your OEM color. then you can just swap out any time - pretty simple arrangement.

Originally Posted by randytrish
I would recommend finding a used decklid and have it painted at the same time you do the tail. Remove and retain your current lid. Mount your turbo tail on the other lid. You can always get your money out of the extra lid and if you don't like it and I believe it sells better as a complete unit. I purchased a aerokit wing already on a decklid and when I disassembled it for painting there was marking all around the decklid opening where the grill goes. I'm not sure how the turbo tail overlaps the decklid, but you may find that if you decide to remove the turbo tail you may have damage, rubbing on your decklid that will require some attention. You maybe able to check the fitment before you mount it and make sure it won't be rubbing anywhere.
Randy
Old 05-26-2012, 06:11 PM
993inNC
Race Car

Originally Posted by clib
I just liked it pointing straight up on rainy days and marveling at how it wasn't a problem
It isn't a problem because is such a small overall area for rain to even enter. As well it has a good size hole on the underside for drainage. Remember this stuff was all early 90's technology. That snorkel is a hinderance no doubt.

My individual situation is also probably attributed to have my pipes on the car. They flow much more cfm than the stock unit and that extra air out capacity allows for noticeable air in changes.
Old 05-29-2012, 12:03 PM
BSL
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by randytrish
I would recommend finding a used decklid and have it painted at the same time you do the tail. Remove and retain your current lid. Mount your turbo tail on the other lid. You can always get your money out of the extra lid and if you don't like it and I believe it sells better as a complete unit. I purchased a aerokit wing already on a decklid and when I disassembled it for painting there was marking all around the decklid opening where the grill goes. I'm not sure how the turbo tail overlaps the decklid, but you may find that if you decide to remove the turbo tail you may have damage, rubbing on your decklid that will require some attention. You maybe able to check the fitment before you mount it and make sure it won't be rubbing anywhere.
Randy
Turbo and Turbo S tails do not mount to the decklid, but rather directly to the hinges, so this would only accomplish having 3 options of which lid goes on the back... The RS and Aerokit I tails on the other-hand do mount to a decklid.

Quick Reply: Turbo tail on a C4S - need some insight from those that have done that.