Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turbo tail on a C4S - need some insight from those that have done that.

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2012, 10:25 AM
crw
Rennlist Member

Received 353 Likes on 210 Posts
Default Turbo tail on a C4S - need some insight from those that have done that.

I picked up a turbo tail for my 97 C4S.

Any suggestions before tacking this project:

- tips?

- additional hardware needed?

- potenital issues to deal with?
Old 05-25-2012, 11:02 AM
BSL
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is a very easy swap.

- Unplug the spoiler wiring inside the engine compartment (on the passenger side, just follow the harness from the decklid)
- Remove the 4 bolts holding the decklid to the hinges (be careful not to drop the shims into the engine bay if they are present)
- Align tail to the hinges and start putting the bolts in (if you do not have the hook for the latch on the new tail, you will need to remove it from your existing decklid)
- Check alignment and see if you need to use the shims
- Unplug the spoiler control module in the passenger side footwell (there is a screw holding this in place if I recall correctly)

The whole project is about 10 minutes to an hour, depending on the time you take to enjoy your beer and time spent fiddling with other things in the engine bay...
Old 05-25-2012, 11:06 AM
boman993
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I've read that you need to unplug the spoiler module plug under the dash to
avoid the spoiler malfunction light on the gauge cluster.

**EDIT: Ha, sorry, my post took so long to post and someone already gave a far more comprehensive answer!

Last edited by boman993; 05-25-2012 at 11:29 AM.
Old 05-25-2012, 12:06 PM
UserA
Rennlist Member

Received 183 Likes on 80 Posts

Here is a step by step:

Ask whomever you bought the turbo tail to let you send it back
Look for a split grill off of a C2S
Paint to match
Thank UserA
Old 05-25-2012, 12:59 PM
SEATRA
Advanced

I just installed a turbo S on mine. Those things weigh more and my poor old tail gas struts can't handle it when opened. I can't find a part number in PET for a "turbo" gas strut so I recommend you may want to get a set of fresh struts to handle the new weight.
Old 05-25-2012, 01:24 PM
BSL
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by SEATRA
I just installed a turbo S on mine. Those things weigh more and my poor old tail gas struts can't handle it when opened. I can't find a part number in PET for a "turbo" gas strut so I recommend you may want to get a set of fresh struts to handle the new weight.
Could there be that much weight difference between the Turbo and the Turbo S tails? My Turbo tail seemed to be lighter than the steel decklid...

(I may note that the Turbo tail currently resides hanging on the wall in the garage...)
Old 05-25-2012, 03:51 PM
SEATRA
Advanced

Good question, don't know if there is a weight difference between turbo and turbo S tails. My guess would be that the Turbo S is heavier. That wing assembly part on the S tail is beefy and would probably account for any additional weight over the turbo tail. My struts are probably near shot anyway as they could barely handle the split grill stock lid.
Old 05-25-2012, 04:12 PM
SEATRA
Advanced

Qucik rennlist search shows:
Motorized tail: approx 25 lbs
Turbo: approx 22 lbs
Turbo S: approx 33 lbs
Old 05-26-2012, 12:07 AM
993inNC
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by UserA
Here is a step by step:

Ask whomever you bought the turbo tail to let you send it back
Look for a split grill off of a C2S
Paint to match
Thank UserA
Have to disagree there! Love mine on my 4S. What is truly useless in application but looks cool are the GT2 splitters with the Turbo wing. Front end needs WAY more downforce at speed. Looks great if just cruising, but not good for track or high speed driving of any kind unless you enjoy front end float!
Old 05-26-2012, 12:14 AM
clib
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 65 Posts

there is also a different air box snorkel for the fixed wing, to help bring in some outside cooler air since the air under the wing actually gets warmer if I recall correctly.
Old 05-26-2012, 12:28 AM
993inNC
Race Car

That snorkel is a terrible piece! Totally starves the NA motor, I had one and promptly removed it. Removing the standard intake port and leaving the box intact is the way to go and free
Old 05-26-2012, 03:28 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 524 Likes on 346 Posts
Default Damn....

I have had a 993 Turbo snorkel on my car for 10 years....my bone stock motor just pulled 255 HP on the Dyno...

Well almost bone stock, 200 cell cats, X pipe and modified mufflers + Da Snorkel!
Old 05-26-2012, 08:04 AM
randytrish
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would recommend finding a used decklid and have it painted at the same time you do the tail. Remove and retain your current lid. Mount your turbo tail on the other lid. You can always get your money out of the extra lid and if you don't like it and I believe it sells better as a complete unit. I purchased a aerokit wing already on a decklid and when I disassembled it for painting there was marking all around the decklid opening where the grill goes. I'm not sure how the turbo tail overlaps the decklid, but you may find that if you decide to remove the turbo tail you may have damage, rubbing on your decklid that will require some attention. You maybe able to check the fitment before you mount it and make sure it won't be rubbing anywhere.
Randy
Old 05-26-2012, 09:00 AM
firesm
Pro

Originally Posted by 993inNC
That snorkel is a terrible piece! Totally starves the NA motor, I had one and promptly removed it. Removing the standard intake port and leaving the box intact is the way to go and free
Chris - can you explain how you arrived at this conclusion?
Old 05-26-2012, 09:43 AM
993inNC
Race Car

Originally Posted by firesm
Chris - can you explain how you arrived at this conclusion?
Butt meter at the track with and without snorkel
Plus it has a bend in it and pinches down to a much small diameter than without. If you consider taking the snorkel and/or the original trumpet out of the air box completely, you get the biggest open area for air intake. Considering I could put my hand on most any part of my motor even after a hard track session proves that the air under a fixed Turbo wing (orig or aftermarket) tends to remain more than cool enough for motor operation without the need to choke the intake with the snorkel.

Scientific proof...........nope

Quick Reply: Turbo tail on a C4S - need some insight from those that have done that.