Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

heads up my 993 is coming on the market!

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2012, 07:58 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Bonster
There is no way you would get that kind of moolah in American dollars, at least not in the States. I looked up my car for the heck of it on Edmund's one time. It said my baby would only fetch around $17k from the insurance company if it was totaled, max was around $20k from a dealer! I would never sell my car that cheap! I think what it comes down to perceived value. This is why I will only buy through Rennlist. And if I ever sold either car, it would only be to a Rennlister. We love our cars or we would not be here.

So your car may very well be worth that in Sweden, but I don't think (not insulting your baby) you could get that here. Maybe they are more rare there?
Ever priced what new goes for elsewhere in the world? Quick check shows the starting point for a 991S is ~$144K. We don't realize how good we have it here. Similarly situated elsewhere in the world, my fleet would be in 924s instead of 911s; and maybe a '70s Van Diemen Formula Ford (or equivalent) for the feel of a "real" race car.......
Old 06-08-2012, 08:32 PM
Bonster
Moderator and 993 whisperer
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can understand price differences for used cars. I can't understand why Porsche would charge more for a new car in one country than in another. That's why I wondered if they are not as common where he lives. But then again, they are a private entity -they can charge whatever the market will bear.
Old 06-09-2012, 08:18 AM
polaris 993 sport
Pro

Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts

I agree with all of you-it is absurd and their is no way to get that kind of money in the states!
Cars used or new in Sweden are 25% to 35% over priced. But I had to post as it is an interesting situation!
If you were to see prices like that in the states-yes it would be harder to buy them but oh yes it would be nice to see the cash when selling! No!
Old 06-09-2012, 11:29 AM
Bonster
Lifetime Rennlist

Are all cars like that in Sweden? Or just cars like Porsche? Is the general cost of living also high? Makes me want to take Sweden off my list of places to visit - I might not be able to afford to eat.
Old 06-09-2012, 02:15 PM
polaris 993 sport
Pro

Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts

health care free-great roads-clean air-beautiful scenery-house insurance low-property tax low(capped I believe around $700 or so) eating out is a mixed bag but not as high as New York-plus we have dagens-the daily special during the week, which gives you a few choices to pick from, for a reasonable choice of a real hot lunch with coffee and perhaps a cookie-at just about every restaurant-taxes can be high if you make serious money!
I could go on -but their are issues like every great place. We moved back for family-access to all of europe with in-2 to 3 hours by plane-plus we love it! Oh beautiful roads to drive your Porsche on!!! #1
Old 06-09-2012, 02:55 PM
Bonster
Lifetime Rennlist

Love the property tax cap. Sounds like a pleasant place.

Quick Reply: heads up my 993 is coming on the market!