Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ferrari's at the track today...

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 01:33 PM
Opo
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 76 Posts

David993s , you are right they dont need to take engine out, regardless the cost was $15k for both things and I had it done at Ferrari of Houston and $1800 for the belts (parts and service) now that's a killer deal, this was my first Ferrari and I was only going by what the dealer recommends and they also replaced the water pump and some other things that I don't remember what they were, but that's what Ferrari recommends when you do the belts service, the good thing for me is that I don't have the car anymore, if I buy another one it will be a 6 speed f430, which doesn't have to have the belt service done and don't have to worry about F1 problems..
Old 05-21-2012, 01:51 PM
hal m
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This weekend was also Ferrari Race Days at Laguna Seca.

There were a dozen or more 458's racing around. There was also a session for 599XX and Enzo FXX lapping. The killer though was the 2003 Ferrari F1 car. That car made an incredible sound. It was hitting 170 on the main straightaway under the start/finish line.

They had the new 458 Spyder on display in metallic yellow. I thought it looked nice but my 20 year old son said he preferred a Lambo.

I guess we are keeping the Turbo!
Old 05-21-2012, 03:24 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by hal m
This weekend was also Ferrari Race Days at Laguna Seca.

There were a dozen or more 458's racing around. There was also a session for 599XX and Enzo FXX lapping. The killer though was the 2003 Ferrari F1 car. That car made an incredible sound. It was hitting 170 on the main straightaway under the start/finish line.

They had the new 458 Spyder on display in metallic yellow. I thought it looked nice but my 20 year old son said he preferred a Lambo.

I guess we are keeping the Turbo!
And then there was this that our other list passed around:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=MN_hXUSe-P4

Followed by:

(After watching this, was thinking that having to haul my own car off the hill after the sandbag incident a couple of months ago wasn't such a bad thing.)

Oh, and I think Sonfronas was 145+ with the World Challenge 997 GT2 car on that speed trap at Rennsport Reunion last year.
Old 05-21-2012, 04:01 PM
inkatouring
Three Wheelin'

Received 59 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by David993S
This is typical of the exagerated internet BS regarding Ferraris.
- Factory recommends belt changes every 3 yrs or 15k miles. Most people understand that is overkill. In 20+ years of Ferrari ownership I have routinely followed a 5 yr schedule for belt changes with no issues.
- F1 pump actuator (the part that will fail if anything is going to fail) is $1200 and my 360 still has the original part after 12 years and 47,000 miles. Not one bit of trouble or reliability issues with my F1 system.
- properly maintained 360 engines will last every bit as long as a 993 engine.
-Your water hose may have been $500 if it was a factory part. Admittedly this is the kind of thing that drives Ferrari owners crazy. That's why most owners use Ricambi or some other aftermarket source and a fraction of that cost. It's still just a $20 hose in a $480 yellow box.....you have to be smart on some things with these cars.
A guy I know sold his 964 for an F-car after spending a large amount of time figuring out that you actually can maintain a Ferarri at a more (and, yes, I qualified it with more) reasonable cost. According to him, the parts used by the factory are largely available from the original manufacture at a fraction of the cost, leaving the larbor as the high priced variable. But if you buy the parts from the dealer, there is a huge yellow box tax.
Old 05-21-2012, 06:57 PM
SOS
Pro

Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by simpsoap
In regards to these cars, can you not do dig maintenance? Does everything have to be done at the dealer? That's one of the joys I get working on my 993 is that most things I can complete myself.

Andy
Same thoughts...can you not diy a Ferrari like you do on a 993?
Old 05-21-2012, 08:58 PM
66mustang
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ABCar
Gingerman Raceway in South Haven MI hosted the regional Ferrari/Italian club today. Great group of enthusiasts and beautiful cars of course. Hard to say if I would be on the waiting list for one if I had the money to change the oil on one of those beauties...but the point is mute.
When I left the track I never felt like I want for anything more than my 993 offers, except that F40 that keeps haunting my dreams!!!...I will take that!)

Here are a few picts.
Great pics, love the Alpha. The 458 is stunning in that color. I really miss track, I used to take my second 944 there.
Old 05-21-2012, 09:10 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Love to hear video of the F40. Hope the paint isn't getting burned around the exhaust outlet. Looks like it needs a few layers of Xpel or some other insulator.
Old 05-21-2012, 09:27 PM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 176 Likes on 112 Posts

Love the Alfa shot also.

Has the GTV grill but the rest looks GTA.

I learned to drive a stick on an Alfa GTV -- God Bless my Dad!

Didn't they reconfigure Gingerman a few years ago?
Old 05-21-2012, 10:06 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 806 Posts

Originally Posted by SOS
Same thoughts...can you not diy a Ferrari like you do on a 993?
of course you can.

Quick Reply: Ferrari's at the track today...