Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear seatbelt not retracting fully--what are my options?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2012, 04:32 PM
midcont
Burning Brakes

Received 60 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Rear seatbelt not retracting fully--what are my options?

The belt extends out all the way and holds tight when yanked, but when released it will only partially retract and then sag.
I can get it to fully retract by feeding it back in.
If it's not fully fed in it will not extend again next time I pull it to use....must be fed all the way back in again to use.

I put my 6 yr old back there and with the booster seat and I have to remove the belt each time from the shoulder strap to feed it all the way back which is kind of a PITA.
I have a feeling it's just going to get worse quickly so I'd like to remedy.

The belts are Guards Red so expensive to replace. This is the rear passenger side. The rear drivers side works perfectly (never used actually) and if swapping the two is feasible, it would be my preference.

I didn't see any DIY or instructions on replacing these (if that's what has to be done). I assume the rear trim would have to be removed. Any help or options would be appreciated. Hopefully there is an easier fix.
Old 05-19-2012, 10:34 AM
MielsOnWheels
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I just noticed that my belt retractor for the drivers seat is starting to do the same thing....i havent started researching options like replacement with a new or used tensioner, or swapping,but ill let you know what i find out.
Old 05-26-2012, 12:00 PM
midcont
Burning Brakes

Received 60 Likes on 33 Posts

any help?
Old 05-26-2012, 12:23 PM
KMASS993
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I would be curious to see if you could unwind and remove the guards red belt from the retractor, then swap to another retractor from a donor.
Old 05-26-2012, 02:11 PM
firesm
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by midcont
The belts are Guards Red so expensive to replace. This is the rear passenger side. The rear drivers side works perfectly (never used actually) and if swapping the two is feasible, it would be my preference.
According to this thread the rear seat belts are the same so you can swap them with no problem:

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...-assembly.html

Sounds like this is a very common problem - there are several possible simple solutions to get it operating properly again - just do a search for rear seat belt and you'll see a bunch.

Quick Reply: Rear seatbelt not retracting fully--what are my options?