Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Cold Air kit for 1995 993 C2

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2012, 10:37 PM
Leon993
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is just my opinion, but I honestly cant find the benefit of aftermarket air filters. The increase in performance simply doesn't justify the RISK of clogging your engine interior with dust. Dust will kill it slowly.

Maybe its because I live in the desert and there's plenty of dust that Im so concerned about aftermarket air filters. But truthfully there is no technology that successfully filters out pollutants yet maintains a healthy intake of air to an engine than a simple paper filter.
Old 05-17-2012, 10:51 AM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

I've tried several configurations and now I'm back to a stock drilled airbox with paper filter. Yes you can get a few hp (at high rpms only) with K&N style filter but it's not worth the $ or hassle.
Old 05-17-2012, 12:00 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 68 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by TheOtherEric
Yes you can get a few hp (at high rpms only) with K&N style filter but it's not worth the $ or hassle.
Hmmm, not sure I have seen those measurements - have you dyno graphs of each of the filters on the same car?

Like the stock setup, lots of filter area. The only part I do not like is the suction of the clutch area particles onto the filters, and that is easily solved.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 05-17-2012, 12:05 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

When did we start doing this with 911 engines? 1984, on the first Motronic equipped cars? When did we stop doing this with 911 engines? 1984? Even back in the Fred Flintstone days of data acquisition, we couldn't get any more trap speed up the long straights at Firebird, Riverside, or Willow.
Old 05-17-2012, 12:14 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by vanguard
...definitely more surface area to suck in a lot more air.
Yes but who says more surface area is needed?

The restriction here is not the filter element, but what's between the combustion chamber and the filter (think intake itself, throttle body, valves, cams) where the restriction is.

If you have better cams, bigger valves & intake, then you could/would benefit from larger surface area to suck in more air.

Not saying you can't get something from a bigger filter but it's very minimal, if anything what you gain.

That said, I have a cone filter for 993 laying around if anyone is interested in buying.
(I know, I have no future as a salesman)
Old 05-17-2012, 01:07 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mike J
Hmmm, not sure I have seen those measurements - have you dyno graphs of each of the filters on the same car?

Well actually, I wasn't making that up. I indeed conducted some runs on an empty highway, back & forth, running a couple configurations. There seemed to be a few hp gained but since it could have been statistical noise, I never bothered to post it. But it was pretty clear there was no gain in most of the rpm range and little enough at high rpms that I switched back to paper.
Old 05-17-2012, 02:16 PM
plymouthcolt
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Seach for cold air intake or aftermarket intake and you will find plenty of posts about engines throwing codes (like the infamous P1140).
Old 05-17-2012, 04:43 PM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Received 340 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by vanguard
above post, hope you realize that the new RS model 997 all use cones right?
Yes, I have some familiarity with the P models. And I'm certain that Porsche used that air filter arrangement on that model because it was optimum. Not so on the 993 and, as I said, they look like ****.
Old 05-17-2012, 06:52 PM
TheBen
Drifting

Received 126 Likes on 94 Posts

I had a cone when I bought my car. The PO installed. I thought it was a bit noisy with no obvious performance benefits so I replaced with the factory Motorsound version. Much happier now!
Old 05-17-2012, 08:35 PM
User 122821
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Some testing...

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/airfilter/airtest1.htm

Paper filtration was far above the cotton gauze or foam filters. Pressure differential was very small. I'll stick with factory air filters since I want longevity over minimal power gain.
Old 06-02-2012, 07:05 AM
Beretta
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Drilled my airbox yesterday (993 -95), and tried it today.

Love the "roar" 4000+ rpm.

Now I´m only waiting for my Wong chip, hope it´s worth the money.
Old 06-02-2012, 04:02 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

BTW, I noticed Steve Weiner just posted this week or last that he did some dyno testing on the effect of open airboxes. He found a few horsepower, nothing more. Basically the same thing I noted above from my testing.
Old 06-02-2012, 04:23 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by TheOtherEric
BTW, I noticed Steve Weiner just posted this week or last that he did some dyno testing on the effect of open airboxes. He found a few horsepower, nothing more. Basically the same thing I noted above from my testing.
To maintain context, I'd simply add that cone filters on 993's made less BHP on the engine dyno than the factory airbox with the stock filter in place. This is due to disrupted laminar airflow with cone filters directly attached to an MAFS.

The factory airbox actually flows quite well so for the race cars, we cut away the aircleaner cover, leaving the frame intact to clamp the paper element securely in place. Dyno testing shows this configuration works very well.

I don't recommend this for street cars since the element needs some protection when you wash the car, therefore we usually add 5-6 2" holes to the cover. Its worth a little power over the OEM configuration that's certainly measurable, but not really noticeable.

BMC filters are better quality than K&N's, however neither functions as well as a nice Mahle paper one so that's all we use for race cars as well as street cars.
Old 06-03-2012, 05:18 AM
Beretta
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Steve; Great info. Thanks for sharing it.

Quick Reply: Cold Air kit for 1995 993 C2