Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Are there alternatives to the factory mufflers?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2012, 04:10 AM
vanguard
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are there alternatives to the factory mufflers?

Are there alternatives to the OEM mufflers? I currently have the fabspeed setup w/ the catalytic converter delete. Pictured below.

Since I would like to drive my car more often on the street without the fear of being harassed by the local cops, I was thinking of making a custom exhaust setup that incorporates high flow cats to mufflers similar to the OEM ones.

From the look of it, the OEM mufflers are just held in place by a restraining strap. I know there are the Fister and RSR style mufflers but I'm looking for raw mufflers to weld into my own design. Anyone know of an universal muffler (possibly made by Borla/Magnaflow) that mimics the OEM mufflers in shape? I do not want to cut my up headers so it will look something similar to this (where the right header leads to a cat to the left muffler and vice versa). Anyone know what kind mufflers are pictured below?

Old 05-15-2012, 04:21 AM
vanguard
Instructor

I found this:
http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/s...=main&id=10100

Anyone know the measurements of the OEM mufflers?

Last edited by vanguard; 05-15-2012 at 12:54 PM. Reason: wrong link
Old 05-15-2012, 09:19 AM
John D.
Banned

Received 56 Likes on 36 Posts

I don't know if Robin is still doing his RSR mufflers - BUT, I've had a set on my 993 since 2005 or so - and they are outstanding... The sound is awesome & aggressive, without being too loud and annoying. Robin's site is:

http://p-car.com

As well, they are a direct replacement for the factory mufflers, so uses all OEM mounts, clamps and bands (you still have yours, right?)

Hope this helps,

John
Old 05-15-2012, 09:49 AM
vincer77
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by vanguard
From the look of it, the OEM mufflers are just held in place by a restraining strap. I know there are the Fister and RSR style mufflers but I'm looking for raw mufflers to weld into my own design. Anyone know of an universal muffler (possibly made by Borla/Magnaflow) that mimics the OEM mufflers in shape? I do not want to cut my up headers so it will look something similar to this (where the right header leads to a cat to the left muffler and vice versa). Anyone know what kind mufflers are pictured below?

Those look like custom mufflers. I have not seen a universal muffler with a side exit.
Old 05-15-2012, 10:04 AM
Guest89
Drifting

Received 199 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by vincer77
Those look like custom mufflers. I have not seen a universal muffler with a side exit.
Those headers might be AWE - their signature look is a "boxy" one (ie, rectangular). No clue on the cans though.
Old 05-15-2012, 11:01 AM
Dryfly57
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Dam clean engine.............
Old 05-15-2012, 12:53 PM
vanguard
Instructor

oops, attached the wrong link. wouldnt this muffler work in theory? its oval like the original. same ends inlet/outlet. its slightly longer than oem but its also skinner.

Old 05-16-2012, 12:56 AM
luckyJ
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi there...would you happen to have a sound clip of these mufflers...I checked the website and cudn't find anything...thanks

Originally Posted by John D.
I don't know if Robin is still doing his RSR mufflers - BUT, I've had a set on my 993 since 2005 or so - and they are outstanding... The sound is awesome & aggressive, without being too loud and annoying. Robin's site is:

http://p-car.com

As well, they are a direct replacement for the factory mufflers, so uses all OEM mounts, clamps and bands (you still have yours, right?)

Hope this helps,

John
Old 05-16-2012, 02:10 AM
vanguard
Instructor

Guess someone else has already though of the idea:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Borla-EXHAUS...#ht_500wt_1127
Old 05-16-2012, 02:18 AM
chaoscreature
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That magnaflow muffler might be a bit on the long side, the OEM mufflers are something more like 10" long. If you used the 5x8x14 it will require some sharp bends to make it work. You might have a hard time getting the tubing to circle back around with those long tube headers too... i think that's the main reason Fabspeed went with the large single muffler in the back VS dual side mufflers when they use their headers.
Magnaflow has prototyped mufflers specifically for the Boxster and 993 but we don't sell them because the thought is there is no market

I have an extra set of custom mufflers I could sell you if you want to play around with your exhaust. PM me if interested. If you live nearby I might be able to give you a hand with it too!
- Peter

Quick Reply: Are there alternatives to the factory mufflers?