993 Forum 1995-1998

Speed cam ... red light plate cover ...

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2012, 05:14 PM
skl2
Rennlist Member

Received 281 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by richardew
I didn't go to driving school. Traffic school is not optional. The judge made me do it. Twice! LOL

You sound like the people who argue that they don't wear their seatbelts because there is a slim chance that it may trap them in the car. It is possible, but unlikely. In the three years that I did organ procurement throughout North America, I was out on one case where the donor had been in a collision and was wearing a seatbelt. All of the others that were in collisions and became organ donors were unbelted. When the traffic light turns yellow, and you are not yet in the intersection it means stop. There are rare times when it is unsafe to do so and you then need to pick your poison. If you keep track of the cars around you and slow down when somebody is tailgating, thus reducing their stopping distance, you should be able to stop safely. There are two ways to approach the yellow light: 1) speed up to beat the red 2) slow down and prepare to stop.

There are 3 ways. 3) if you deem you cannot stop safely, you can maintain speed or coast thru the yellow. That doesnt mean floor it, that simply means you are at a point where you need not slam on the brakes, or floor it to try and make it. If yellow meant stop, it would go from green to red. I am always keeping track of everything around me because that is the only way to reduce the chance of an accident.

Funny story actually: I was a senior in high school driving my girlfriend home in my Dads truck. It was snowing. I was headed downhill towards an intersection; coming head on the other way was a cop. I was going dead on the speed limit. The light turned yellow, I lifted off the gas and coasted thru the light - the cop and I were in the intersection at the exact same time....it was yellow the whole time. Given the conditions, I made the decision to coast thru the light because I knew I couldnt stop my truck in time. Two min later, Im being pulled over as I turn into the driveway of my gf's house. He cites me for running the light. I go to court and the cop shows up. The cop admits to the judge he didnt see me in the intersection when the light turned red....but he knows the light was yellow and he said "i made no attempt to slow down." The judge ended the hearing right then and there, I walked out owing nothing after he apologized. Yellow didnt mean stop to that judge!
Old 05-15-2012, 06:30 PM
texas911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by skl2
Because, I would typically carry on safely thru the intersection if I werent worried about a super short yellow followed by a $300 ticket in the mail. It causes people to react differently and erratically and therefore causes accidents.
If by differently and erratically you mean law abiding, then I'd agree with you.
Old 05-15-2012, 06:36 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 97 Posts

Slamming on the brakes on a yellow because you see a intersection camera may be law abiding, but it's not always the safest thing to do.

"Lawful" and "good idea" are often mutually exclusive things.

Quick Reply: Speed cam ... red light plate cover ...