Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speed cam ... red light plate cover ...

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2012, 02:52 PM
silverporsche993
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Speed cam ... red light plate cover ...

We have quite a few speed cameras and I am wondering if anyone has good results with any photo blocker licence plate covers.

Old 05-14-2012, 03:00 PM
element
Pro

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

I fully support ALL red light cameras.. I see too many people running lights which get too close and t-bone collisions are the ones that kill people as there is little protection for passengers through the side of the car. I had an SUV barrel through a red right in front of me last year, if I was quicker off the line it would have done some real damage.

If you have an issue with them, LEARN TO PAY ATTENTION WHEN YOU DRIVE, or walk\take the bus!

I hate when people ask me if they should fight their red light cameras.. they are clearly marked, so no excuses.

If you want to go fast, take it to the track.. and you will learn how to as well.

phil.
Old 05-14-2012, 03:06 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by element
If you want to go fast, take it to the track.
Red light cameras have almost nothing to do with wanting to "go fast."

Further, anyone who has spent a significant time on track knows that for the beginners there's very little of that "go fast" part...........
Old 05-14-2012, 04:33 PM
skl2
Rennlist Member

Received 285 Likes on 150 Posts

I fully support ALL red light cameras.. I see too many people running lights which get too close and t-bone collisions are the ones that kill people as there is little protection for passengers through the side of the car. I had an SUV barrel through a red right in front of me last year, if I was quicker off the line it would have done some real damage.

If you have an issue with them, LEARN TO PAY ATTENTION WHEN YOU DRIVE, or walk\take the bus!

I hate when people ask me if they should fight their red light cameras.. they are clearly marked, so no excuses.

If you want to go fast, take it to the track.. and you will learn how to as well.

phil.

I have seen literature that shows they increase accidents at intersections. Also, sometimes they actually shorten the yellow so they can ticket more people. Other times, they cannot differentiate a stop, then right on red (in states where its legal) so you end up with a ticket even tho you did nothing wrong. Because of this, people won't go right on red causing a big backup at several intersections in my town. Basically, you are going to have idiot drivers no matter what and Im tired of the inept politicians passing budgets they can't fund so they turn to traffic cameras to try and cover budget shortfalls - how else do you explain $400 dollar red light tickets!? Its insane.
Old 05-14-2012, 04:39 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 686 Likes on 478 Posts

I fully support ALL red light cameras. If you have an issue with them, LEARN TO PAY ATTENTION WHEN YOU DRIVE, or walk\take the bus!

phil.
Same for those who want to yak on a phone...find a phone booth, or those with a coffee mug stuck in front of their snout...find a kitchen.
Old 05-14-2012, 05:37 PM
jago
Rennlist Member

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by IXLR8
Same for those who want to yak on a phone...find a phone booth, or those with a coffee mug stuck in front of their snout...find a kitchen.
with ya on the phone thing, but coffee? i draw the line, sir!
that cup of joe in front of my snout over 2 decades and 500k miles
of new york commuting has prevented more accidents than i could remember.

oh and btw the only thing i ever got out of one of those red light plate cover thingys
was a ticket for having one of those red light plate cover thingys.
so dont bother.
Old 05-14-2012, 05:41 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 98 Posts

Funny, I was driving home today, and saw someone try to "beat the red" and zoomed through the intersection right as the light turned red. Saw the camera flash, and he's in for a nasty surprise when he gets his mail in a few days.

Caught up to him at the next light. Of course, he was yapping on his cell and blissfully unaware of anything. Including life happening around him.

Oh well.
Old 05-14-2012, 06:27 PM
element
Pro

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

Love it! I can't wait to hear how mad he gets and unfairly treated he feels when he gets his bill

RE: cameras causing more accidents.. all you have to do is pay more attention!! if you look at the cross walk indicators they will tell you if a yellow is coming.. There is LOTS of data and dead bodies proving that t-bones are deadly!

phil.
Old 05-14-2012, 06:34 PM
texas911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by skl2
Other times, they cannot differentiate a stop, then right on red (in states where its legal) so you end up with a ticket even tho you did nothing wrong. Because of this, people won't go right on red causing a big backup at several intersections in my town. Basically, you are going to have idiot drivers no matter what and Im tired of the inept politicians passing budgets they can't fund so they turn to traffic cameras to try and cover budget shortfalls - how else do you explain $400 dollar red light tickets!? Its insane.
I don't know how it works in your part of the country, but in Texas, there is a video available when you get caught running a red light. There's a link to said video on your ticket. Plus an officer reviews each case to make sure its a true red run, instead of getting caught because of traffic, or having to move because of an EMS vehicle, or what have you. People can and do turn right on red, but they have to come to a complete stop first. Which is the law anyway. I think the only people agains red light cameras are the chronic "above the law" types.
Old 05-14-2012, 08:35 PM
911Dave
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by skl2
I have seen literature that shows they increase accidents at intersections.
I've read that in several places. The reason is, people follow too closely and they are not expecting the driver in front of them to stop for a yellow light. As a result, they rear-end them. That's the fault of stupid drivers, not the red light camera campaign.

I'm not a fan of speed cameras, but red light cameras absolutely.
Old 05-14-2012, 08:44 PM
brucec59
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 911Dave
...I'm not a fan of speed cameras, but red light cameras absolutely.
+1
Old 05-14-2012, 09:48 PM
TheBen
Drifting

Received 127 Likes on 95 Posts

I think they've turned off the red light cameras in LA now...and apparently there was never an enforceable penalty if you got a ticket in the mail. If you didn't pay, nothing happened to you.
Old 05-14-2012, 10:28 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 686 Likes on 478 Posts

Originally Posted by jago
that cup of joe in front of my snout over 2 decades and 500k miles of new york commuting has prevented more accidents than i could remember.
Good thing for horns. That way the guy ahead knows the light has turned green as he has that cup in front of his snout.
Old 05-14-2012, 10:59 PM
trophy
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Here is Calgary we have redlight cameras and "Speed on Green" cameras for those that speed up to get through a changing light.....

They are also putting on the street a "Noise Camera" to take photos of your vehicle if it blows more than 96 to 98 db..... one of the first in North America
Old 05-15-2012, 12:17 AM
skl2
Rennlist Member

Received 285 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by texas911
I don't know how it works in your part of the country, but in Texas, there is a video available when you get caught running a red light. There's a link to said video on your ticket. Plus an officer reviews each case to make sure its a true red run, instead of getting caught because of traffic, or having to move because of an EMS vehicle, or what have you. People can and do turn right on red, but they have to come to a complete stop first. Which is the law anyway. I think the only people agains red light cameras are the chronic "above the law" types.
Not above the law types, just one of the types that doesn't want some jackass in a truck tailgating me in my Porsche ramming me into the intersection when I brake for the red and he cannot stop.

Quick Reply: Speed cam ... red light plate cover ...