993 Forum 1995-1998

Fuel injector cleaners - yes or no?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2012, 10:21 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 679 Likes on 474 Posts

Originally Posted by DanL993
What are the facts that the "knowledgeable (sic) people" can cite that indicate there is a contamination of the oil system resulting from use of these products and therefore the need for an oil change following their use???
Whoaaa Dan, facts on a forum...you're asking for a lot.

I'd say a before and after oil analysis as I mentioned in an earlier post ^.
Old 05-14-2012, 10:39 PM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 450 Likes on 281 Posts

"Big Oil (Chevron) is not happy at all about ethanol laced fuel requirements coming out of Congress. It was not their idea, but it is their problem--and yours too. E85 is a VERY real problem we are going to be dealing with in the near future. Big Oil knows that this stuff is horrible for cars 2001 and older, and they have demonstrated evidence to Congress of this--but it is the environmentalists, Big Ag, and politicians trying to reduce foreign oil consumption that have pushed it through.

You want to here the stupidest part of it all: E10 is around 3% less efficient than regular gas. But E85 is 20-25% less efficient than pure gasoline!"

....and folks wonder why the price of milk, meat and other products linked to corn have gone ballistic! The corn costs more than the energy it produces!
Old 05-14-2012, 11:13 PM
1pcarnut
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by berni29
Hi

I used a can of BG44K in my 993 and thought it was great. It really did clean the combustion chambers and I have no problems with my (still original) injectors.

Berni
How do you know? Are you going by how the car felt afterwards, did you check with a boroscope or ?
Old 05-15-2012, 01:48 AM
berni29
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi Roger

I had a look in the combustion chambers with a torch both through the spark plug hole and also past the valves with the heat exchangers off. I then ran the BG44K through the engine and stripped the top end. I had low compression on one cylinder and was hoping it was carbon build up on a valve. Sadly it was a broken piston ring. My engine had done 185k miles at this point and after the BG44k you could see the aluminium in places on the pistons and there were no heavy deposits. Here is piston 6, the one with the broken ring.

All the best

Berni

Quick Reply: Fuel injector cleaners - yes or no?