964 Cab Rear Seat Delete

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2012, 04:44 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 98 Posts
Default 964 Cab Rear Seat Delete

Hey there...

I have a line on a 964 RSD from a convertible. I'm wondering if it would fit into my 993 C4S. If not, how extensive are the modifications I'd need to make it work , and what are they?

Anyone here that can shed any light on this subject? It'd be much appreciated.

Thanks, in advance!
Old 05-06-2012, 05:11 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Goof,
IIRC the 964 cab and coupe RSD's are both slightly wider than the 993 application and have to be slightly trimmed on both sides to fit correctly .. have you done a quick search here to see if somebody has a thread on it? I seem to remember somebody even posting a template.
Old 05-06-2012, 06:16 PM
Arena993
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

The cab RSD is totally different than the coupe RSD. The decking is what will need to be changed. I put a 964 cab RSD in to my 993 cab and the fit is spot on with no real mods.

Mike
Old 05-06-2012, 06:31 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

^^^ so would the Cab RSD need to be trimmed to fit a coupe OR would the entire 'deck' piece need to be replaced.
Old 05-07-2012, 07:12 AM
Arena993
Race Car

The cab RSD has a narrower deck because of the quarter panel covers that hide the top tranmissions. So to answer your question the deck from a cab RSD needs to be replaced if going in to a coupe and you could probably get away withe trimming a cab RSD decklid to fit a coupe. The only differences in a coupe and cab RSD is the deck. I have also heard, but can't confirm, that the cab RSD has the 2 black bars (or hoops) whereas the coupe does not.

Mike
Old 05-07-2012, 10:49 AM
michaelh993
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently did just that; installed a 964 cab RSD in my 993 C4S. The back sides of the wood deck had to be trimmed about 3/4" each to fit nicely. Without trimming, it was a tight fit, and i couldn't get the mounts to line up with the bolt holes. I was recovering the carpeting and the doors with leather anyway, so this was not a problem. However, you could gently pull back the carpet from the rear side-curved portion and trim with a saber saw, then re-glue. I left the large hoops in place as I liked the look. Good luck; I love mine.
Old 05-07-2012, 11:35 AM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Arena993
The cab RSD has a narrower deck because of the quarter panel covers that hide the top tranmissions. So to answer your question the deck from a cab RSD needs to be replaced if going in to a coupe and you could probably get away withe trimming a cab RSD decklid to fit a coupe. The only differences in a coupe and cab RSD is the deck. I have also heard, but can't confirm, that the cab RSD has the 2 black bars (or hoops) whereas the coupe does not.

Mike
Ok .. so to be clear, I think what you mean to say here is that you could trim a Coupe RSD to fit a Cab .. right?

Originally Posted by michaelh993
I recently did just that; installed a 964 cab RSD in my 993 C4S. The back sides of the wood deck had to be trimmed about 3/4" each to fit nicely. Without trimming, it was a tight fit, and i couldn't get the mounts to line up with the bolt holes. I was recovering the carpeting and the doors with leather anyway, so this was not a problem. However, you could gently pull back the carpet from the rear side-curved portion and trim with a saber saw, then re-glue. I left the large hoops in place as I liked the look. Good luck; I love mine.
So ... you didn't have a gap along the sides of the deck where the Cab RSD is cut to clear the convertible mechanism covers as Mike suggests above?
Old 05-07-2012, 11:44 AM
Arena993
Race Car

Originally Posted by JPP
Ok .. so to be clear, I think what you mean to say here is that you could trim a Coupe RSD to fit a Cab .. right?
Yes, but clarity really should't be an issue for the Pope. Right?

Originally Posted by JPP
So ... you didn't have a gap along the sides of the deck where the Cab RSD is cut to clear the convertible mechanism covers as Mike suggests above?
I have always been under the assumption/understanding that the convertible mechanism cover extends out further than the coupe trim piece. One definitive way is to measure the distance between the covers on a coupe and cab that both have RSD's I'll be happy to do mine and post a pic. Be right back.

Mike
Old 05-07-2012, 11:52 AM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Arena993
Yes, but clarity really should't be an issue for the Pope. Right?

Mike
.. We have ALWAYS been ... and continue to be an open book Mike. .. nothing to hide here .... nothing to look at .... keep moving ....

Quick Reply: 964 Cab Rear Seat Delete