Sponsored by:

PSS10 or MO30/33 + Bilstein HDs?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2012, 04:06 PM
coreseller
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by skl2
You will get a million opinions and none are right/wrong. I went with Bilstein HDs/M033 because I wanted height adjustability with a good ride for the street. I dont track the 993 at all. I also did walrod bushing at the same time. It rides 100% better than with the monroes and turn-in is crisp.
Ditto this. Did the exact same setup 2 months back; Biltstein HD's, MO33s and Walrod control arm bushings. Had shop perform 4 corner balance and alignment. Different car in a positive way, firm ride but not harsh.
Old 05-04-2012, 05:46 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by MACH993
Good point. The indy shop gave me the total cost w/installation. I'll certainly ask for the part price breakdown. If you're looking at PSS10s, I found an interesting review on http://www.jackals-forge.com/lotus/993/pss10/pss10.html
Nice writeup .. but now I want a Speed Yellow RS dammit ..

When I bought my '95 coupe I first installed Billstien HD's and H&R sport springs and for me, it was way too harsh for street driving .. I really wish I'd driven a few 993's with different suspensions before I made any moves at all to be honest. So ... not to be undone, I leapt right on over to PSS10's and tarret adjustable rear toe arms .. and eventually got new tie-rod ends and Walrod bushings in the front. I'd have to say overall, the PSS10 coilovers are a very nice setup and I found that I kept reducing the setting until I settled on 2 in front and 3 in the rear for street driving and that's where it stayed until I sold it. I think the new owner immediately set them to 7 front and 8 rear .. let's face it .. I like my cushy street ride ;-P
I was a bit surprised that the author of this article thought the KW Variant's were less pliant than the PSS10 setup because my experience was different. When I went over to England and rode in Graham's Speedster with KW variant's, I was really impressed with how comfortable and almost 'stock' feeling the ride was on the country roads but totally planted ... and when he put his foot in it .. it was magic .. dug right in and felt completely stable with crisp turn-in .. and this was on 19" 30 series tires ..!!
Having said all that .. my Speedster is riding on factory monroe sport shocks and M030 springs at R.O.W. height and it's perfect for the street for me .. BUT .. it is not a sophisticated suspension by any stretch .. the PSS10 and KW setups with complete adjustability and coil over design is certainly a better engineered suite of parts .. but for me and the way I drive my cars today, it seems like overkill.
Old 05-04-2012, 06:08 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 866 Likes on 571 Posts

Originally Posted by skl2
You will get a million opinions and none are right/wrong. I went with Bilstein HDs/M033 because I wanted height adjustability with a good ride for the street. I dont track the 993 at all. I also did walrod bushing at the same time. It rides 100% better than with the monroes and turn-in is crisp.
Originally Posted by CarreraX
You may also want to consider the KW V3 coilovers. I have a set and love them. Can be adjusted to a very nice ride if necessary.
opinions?
I like the two i quoted above.

IMO P10's even set to most compliant setting have too much damping for plush street ride.

I wish I would have bought KV3s instead which have more adjustability and possibly more "compliance".

Buy P10's for a reasonably priced option if you need adjustability as you go from street to AX to track, otherwise i think they are a "coveted object", not the best tool.

Yes, just IMO.

Craig
Old 05-07-2012, 06:48 PM
MACH993
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default The insanity of it all!

After reading the equivalent of War & Peace on various suspension set-up opinions...many thanks to all who contributed btw...I'm going w/Koni FSDs, along with the ROW MO33 springs (blue dots, right?) that I determined are on the car already. I know there's no right answer to this debate, which is something akin to whether you prefer blonde, brunette or redhead...but I guess you can't go wrong either way!
Old 05-07-2012, 08:11 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

As others have suggested, the supply line from Holland is spotty, so get your order in a be patient. I think they run somewhere in the $900 range and you already have the right springs.

Quick Reply: PSS10 or MO30/33 + Bilstein HDs?