Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

VW GTI - R32 - S4 - RS4 -> 997S + 993 Turbo

Best Cars I have ever owned HANDS DOWN
Old 05-03-2012, 04:15 AM
sander97C2
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Hands down my 993 is my favorite of the four very different cars i've owned. Purchased a '02 silver A4 quattro 5speed, loved the style, wheels, interior, but the drivetrain was a bit sloppy and underpowered. Unfortinately the A4 was riddled with electrical gremlins and was sold.

I went with a huge change a bought an '03 mazdaspeed protege. The car was an absolute blast to drive and I became hooked. I owned her for nearly 11 years and put a ton of money into it. Ended up with a fully built motor running a Garret T3T4 61mm single ball bearing turbocharger. She put down well over 430fwhp@22psi+ on 93 pump gas. I crashed her last year, wrapped around a tree but walked away intact. I was luckily able to sell pretty much all the goodies, even the motor, suspension parts, etc. In a way it led me to my favorite car since I first saw a 993 in 1995.

I was on a mission last spring to find one and luck was on my side when the previous owner traded her to buy a '12 mazdaspeed hatchback. Apparently, his wife said they needed something bigger to haul their children around in. Too bad for him but good for me because I got a phone call from my friend Brian at the dealership that day. Two weeks later the C2 was parked at my home. Finally, my dream car is here to stay.

Oh right, forgot to mention the '10 grey metallic sport ranger. Sadly, my best friend totalled it last june. I sure do miss that pickup, it was fun with the 4 liter V6 and 4:10 gears.

Thanks for listening and enjoy you're p-cars everyone.
Old 05-03-2012, 09:47 AM
clipstone
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Big VW/Audi fan.

Had 3 Golf GTIs prior to the 993, and ran an Audi A4 cabriolet as a daily, before switching that out for an A6 for similar duties.

Nothing compares with German build.
Old 05-03-2012, 03:40 PM
Mister C
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by brucec59
Audi S4? I've had so many of those mess with me on the freeway. There must be some "more HP than a 911" in the sales materials or something.

LOL That was me a couple of years ago. I don't know how many Porsches I tried to chase down with my old S4. Audiworld was full of such stories too. Many didn't want to play which I can understand.

I always kept a respectful distance while playing with a thumbs up when breaking off. Not racing mind you, just spirited driving when traffic and conditions permitted. Man I miss that car. Sometimes, I chased just to get a better look at the P car I was drooling over.
Old 05-03-2012, 03:42 PM
Mister C
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Triple G
I went from an allroad to my 993.

Not your typical allroad though..

SWEET! Good example of how much those S4s can be tuned. I kept mine stock and was very seriously considering K04s, suspension, etc but ultimately decided to save my money for P car.

Love those avants too. My was "just" a sedan.
Old 05-03-2012, 05:07 PM
brucec59
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Not trying to start any controversy here. We all know how hard ($$$) it is to get more power out of a 993 engine; Porsche didn't leave much on the table. At the same time they are amazingly reliable. Seems to me that is the epitome of engineering excellence.
Old 05-03-2012, 06:41 PM
RudyP
Rennlist Member

Received 1,372 Likes on 514 Posts

My gateway drug to the 993 was my 997. Before, that BMWs but that's only because I had to start somewhere. Have always loved BMWs and Porsches and still own both.
Old 05-03-2012, 07:43 PM
solomonschris
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

All I can add to this thread is this: a young man who is interested in buying a 993tt came on the 993tt site. He allowed as how he had a hi-po Audi but was drawn to the 993. Being local I offered to let him ride in and drive my car. He showed up in a built Allroad with 450 RWHP. He drove my car and loved it. I drove his car and while I would much rather have my tt, I have to admit that my bone stock tt cannot accelerate with his 2.7 tt. I didn't like that my sexy performance icon can get put on the trailer by a damn station wagon, but there it is. I don't know much about gateway drugs....I've been smoking weed
for years and except for still liking "LA Women" I'm convinced I'm pretty normal, but that damn Audi was really quick!

Quick Reply: Gateway drug