OT: Another close call

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 02:40 PM
vjd3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default OT: Another close call

I just picked up a new Audi Q5 yesterday and was driving back to the dealership this morning to give the dealer the keys to the Mercedes we traded, on Route 3 North south of Boston (2 lane highway, divided with couple hundred yards of trees and grass between north and south lanes, 55 mph limit). Morning traffic, moving about 60, I'm in the left lane behind another car, when I see people braking and swerving around, there's some moron driving TOWARD me in my lane at a good clip, two wheels on the shoulder (no breakdown lane on that side), the other half of his car in my lane ... somehow, everyone misses him, me included, and he just keeps plowing on, driving the wrong damn way.

The closest exit where he could have gotten on going the wrong way was at least 5 miles up from there. I'm trying to understand how some idiot could manage to enter on an exit ramp, get on a busy highway in the wrong lane in broad daylight just after rush hour, and not crap his pants, pull a screeching U-turn and be in the breakdown lane within 20 seconds, trying not to have a heart attack. Remarkable.

From listening to the traffic reports, and coming back an hour later, apparently he didn't kill himself or anyone else.

Last July, I had the rear axle assembly off a tractor trailer with 2 tires attached to it come bouncing across the southbound lanes, flying right across my path on I-95 North just outside NYC. I saw it coming, braked hard, it flew in front of my windshield at eye level, the car in the lane next to me did not brake, she drove right into it, and it killed her even as I steered around her car as it was coming into my lane.

Be careful out there. Once again, if I had been looking down for a split second at the radio or navigation screen or something ... that would have been it.
Old 05-01-2012, 03:08 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 57 Posts

This, once again, reminds me why I am willing to sacrifice anything to work from home. People around are simply nuts. And it's not just in Boston. Spent 2 month in South Florida this winter... driving's even worse there.

Vic, did 993 get picked up?
Old 05-01-2012, 03:33 PM
vjd3
Addict
Rennlist Member

I do work from home, that's the irony ...

It got purchased locally, Mike, nice guy, lives in Arlington, bought it for his dad, who lives in Florida and is here during the warm weather months.

I think that would be, like, August, in New England.
Old 05-01-2012, 03:39 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Warm weather? In NE? Nah.

So, the German guy flaked off?
Old 05-01-2012, 03:45 PM
vjd3
Addict
Rennlist Member

He didn't pounce, the other guy pounced, and then the other local guy who wanted to pounce just missed. Was a great car, been less than a week and already miss it bad.
Old 05-01-2012, 03:48 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

It's good that it went to a good home.
Old 05-02-2012, 04:15 PM
brucec59
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I saw one of those "Craziest Police Chases" TV shows years ago where an elderly man with dimentia did exactly what you describe. He was driving the wrong way in the fast lane. Police were trying to stop him. Finally he hit a minivan nearly head on. The minivan swerved at the last split second, but not far enough. Very sad. I bet something very similar was going on in your case. Scary!
Old 05-02-2012, 04:26 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

Glad to hear you're okay, Vic, and sort of happy to hear that you sold your car. You'll be missed here.
Old 05-02-2012, 07:09 PM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 207 Likes on 133 Posts

For someone who loves cars and loves to drive....I hate driving.......
Old 05-02-2012, 08:43 PM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 240 Likes on 182 Posts

I find I drive the Pcar, like I used to ride the motorcycle, and exactly how I pedal the road bike thousands of miles every year...looking everywhere, watching everything.

IMHO, the rattier the vehicle-the less attentive the operator. No accidents with the Pcar-at least none that were ANYONE ELSE'S FAULT, none ever with the motorcycle, but multiple car/bicycle collisions.

I didn't see you-didn't think you were going that fast-get on the sidewalk you f^&$(#@ a^^#*%#! type of encounters on the bike.

As the old saying goes..."never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups" That pretty much describes any commute, doesn't it?
Old 05-02-2012, 08:49 PM
vjd3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Oh, I won't be gone for long ... looking around for a nice 993 TT.

Although the wife wants a 997.
Old 05-02-2012, 10:01 PM
MielsOnWheels
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Cactus
For someone who loves cars and loves to drive....I hate driving.......
+1 ^^^

Quick Reply: OT: Another close call