Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help...Squeaky Fan Driving Me Nuts

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2013, 09:23 AM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 477 Likes on 282 Posts

I remembered reading about how tricky a job this was prior to doing it myself. But if I recalled correctly, it was a very simple and quick diy, to install, align, and button things back up.
Old 07-29-2013, 10:26 AM
x50type
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

jo-hans

Outstanding information and pix -- thanks.

A new fan motor is about $900, and fitting is a PITA, your info on oiling should keep the fan in good condition, especially the trick with the wire for oiling.

Incidentally, it seems to be the px side fan that always gives the trouble.
Attached Images  
Old 07-29-2013, 06:08 PM
f11
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the link, ble2011, but I'd figured all that out on my own. I sorted out that the filter tabs have to be "just so", and that there's a little rotational tab on the filter skirt lip that has to sit on top of the housing slot so that everything lines up. I had patience for the first hour, but after that patience got pretty thin for something so freakin' basic.

The fact that the covers were already "loose" when I went in there suggests that there's been some kind of problem with them for a while. They DEFINITELY did not just "drop in" - there's a significant space open facing into the windshield and the metal tabs can't reach down to clasp onto the lip of the lower housing. At first, I figured "Ok, the filter isn't sitting right, so try it without the filter"... No go, the top half does not want to line up properly with the bottom half. I got as far under the hood with a trouble-light as I could, looking for obstructions, but couldn't see anything.

But the point is: you're saying it shouldn't be a struggle - that's good to know, something I can work from. Thanks!
Old 07-29-2013, 06:58 PM
x50type
Three Wheelin'

White tabs [3] must be in correct location for cover to close properly.
Attached Images   
Old 07-30-2013, 12:36 AM
f11
Instructor

Yup, I saw those tabs and how they are intended to seat properly - which is more than I could say for the previous service tech. My filters fit just fine into the top cover, and by themselves into the bottom housing... its the top cover (w/ or w/o the filter) that doesn't seat properly, almost like its been warped - hmm, or maybe they aren't the original CAF housing covers? I better check that... perhaps they were from a different year? or model? I bet there's a part number somewhere in them that I can check.

Thanks, though for the excellent pictures - they certainly can't hurt!
Rod
Old 07-30-2013, 09:57 AM
ricks993
Racer

I just replaced my pass side fan last week. My fan squeaking started about 1 year ago. It got worse then started blowing the fuse than would not work at all. Oil did not help my problem.
The job is not easy you just need to take your time. The fuse box and fire wall need to be removed to get to the fan. For me the difficult part was getting the old fan to release after removing the screws. The post says to use a hack saw blade and push into two slots to release fan motor. That did not work for me. I used a long thin screwdriver into slots and turned the screwdriver to release the clips holding the motor in
Old 07-30-2013, 10:17 AM
ricks993
Racer

Also I got a replacement blower motor from Vertex for $770.00
Old 07-30-2013, 10:42 AM
x50type
Three Wheelin'

ricks993

Changing the blower motor -- Can the fire wall be removed without pulling out or shifting the gas tank?

Any pix?

When you got the motor out could you see what the problem was? Any repair possible?

Did the $770 include the motor with squirrel cage fan? [some one on line has the motor only for about $175].

Seems we'll all have to change a blower motor sooner or later.
Old 07-30-2013, 10:55 AM
x50type
Three Wheelin'

f11

I have the same problem as you - even without the filter the cover will not close tight enough for the s/s clip to close, the horizontal face gap is about 0.5 mm by the clip.

I ran the blower with filter in at full speed with this small gap and found there is no air leakage - so that will have to do for now on the passenger side.

The driver's side cover is tight because it will clamp down properly with the s/s clip - just.

The clearance tolerance for the housing are unnecessarily small IMO - after all, its just a pollen filter housing.
Old 07-30-2013, 12:56 PM
ricks993
Racer

Yes the firewall can come out without removing or moving the gas tank. First the fuse box comes out and lay it on the fender then the firewall will come out after removing all screws; not very difficult job
The fan motor comes with the squirrel cage. I first purchased the $175.00 “blower motor” without the cage and it looks the same (except it is larger) it will not fit, I think the $175. Motor is for the blower motor in the engine compartment. So I have purchased both, waiting for the engine blower motor to fail now!!!!
Old 07-30-2013, 01:04 PM
ricks993
Racer

When it came apart the problem I very obvious, the front bushing is worn out causing the motor shaft to move causing the squirrel cage to hit its housing.
I kept my old blower motor in case someone on this form will figure out how to fix his problem. At $770 for a new motor you would think someone would come up with a fix!!!
Old 09-28-2013, 02:40 AM
saneproductions
Racer

I am having a low speed squeal especially on 1 and 2. Not sure which side fan it is. Hope it is just a rubbing filter! Thanks for the info.

Mike
Old 09-28-2013, 11:21 AM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 477 Likes on 282 Posts

Mike- try removing and repositioning both filters and replace covers carefully. While yer there, lube the shaft of the motor as pointed out in the pics, with your fav lube. I initially used wd40 then switched to CLP Breakfree and that fixed the chirping. Let the lube penetrate overnight. My bearings were good.
Old 09-30-2013, 12:05 PM
saneproductions
Racer

Originally Posted by P-daddy
Mike- try removing and repositioning both filters and replace covers carefully. While yer there, lube the shaft of the motor as pointed out in the pics, with your fav lube. I initially used wd40 then switched to CLP Breakfree and that fixed the chirping. Let the lube penetrate overnight. My bearings were good.
Thanks for this! I pulled the driver side filter and used a dremel to shave down the filter slightly where it was rubbing. It is seated perfectly now and quiet. I need to get some break free sometime soon and hit those bearings.
Old 12-01-2013, 06:28 PM
Busta Rib
Rennlist Member

Received 1,105 Likes on 414 Posts

Originally Posted by f11
Thanks for the link, ble2011, but I'd figured all that out on my own. I sorted out that the filter tabs have to be "just so", and that there's a little rotational tab on the filter skirt lip that has to sit on top of the housing slot so that everything lines up. I had patience for the first hour, but after that patience got pretty thin for something so freakin' basic.

The fact that the covers were already "loose" when I went in there suggests that there's been some kind of problem with them for a while. They DEFINITELY did not just "drop in" - there's a significant space open facing into the windshield and the metal tabs can't reach down to clasp onto the lip of the lower housing. At first, I figured "Ok, the filter isn't sitting right, so try it without the filter"... No go, the top half does not want to line up properly with the bottom half. I got as far under the hood with a trouble-light as I could, looking for obstructions, but couldn't see anything.

But the point is: you're saying it shouldn't be a struggle - that's good to know, something I can work from. Thanks!
Mike (saneproductions) and I tackled lubricating the cabin fans in our cars and I replaced my filters this morning. First time I tried doing this. Refitting the covers is a major PITA IF you don't take your time and if try to fit the cover after placing the filter in the filter housing first. Keep in mind there is a tongue and groove system for the covers which can make it frustrating to fit them properly. I recommend trying these steps:

1. Seat the filter in the cover first. There is a slot for the tab on the filter and it is pretty clear how the filter should fit in the cover.

2. If you are fitting the passenger-side cover, hold the cover/filter in your left hand so that they remain as one unit and then use your right hand to first guide the corner of the cover into the rearward-most groove of the filter housing. It's key that you seat this groove first in order for everything else to be able fall into place. This all makes sense if you are looking at the work area. Use opposite hands for the driver-side cover.

3. Make sure the filter and cover remain as one unit as you slowly guide them into the house and the appropriate grooves. You will likely need to use your free fingers to move some wiring out of the way. If you do it right, the filter/cover will drop into place very easily and then you can button everything up.

When I tried fitting the cover while the filter was already sitting in the housing, it was practically impossible to line everything up to fit properly. Very frustrating. I found this process to be much easier. YMMV. Good luck.

Quick Reply: Help...Squeaky Fan Driving Me Nuts