Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Beginning my search and would like some help and opinions ...

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 01:35 AM
Dr. Vader
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I miss Sebring
Old 04-24-2012, 01:55 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 679 Likes on 474 Posts

Originally Posted by 140.6
First I'll say that maintenance history is going to trump mileage no matter how low or how high....would I be better off with mid-30k mileage car or a 60k+ car.
Other than periodic fluid changes, a 30K car will not have needed all that much maintenance. A 60k+ car is another matter.

Maintenance being equal, I'd sooner get a low mileage, low number of owners example.
Old 04-24-2012, 08:33 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by IXLR8
Other than periodic fluid changes, a 30K car will not have needed all that much maintenance. A 60k+ car is another matter.

Maintenance being equal, I'd sooner get a low mileage, low number of owners example.
Ok, this may be a very poor assumption on my part so please feel free to correct me, but in the case of a 15-17 year old car with mid-30k miles there should be at a minimum annual oil changes, all other fluids every 2-3 years, tires should have been replaced several times even just for age, belts for the same reason, potentially brake pads, maybe a clutch, etc. If I found a mid-30k car with only annual oil changes for maintenance I would likely pass on that car.

Am I thinking about this the right way?
Old 04-24-2012, 09:22 AM
tommyg
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Ok, this may be a very poor assumption on my part so please feel free to correct me, but in the case of a 15-17 year old car with mid-30k miles there should be at a minimum annual oil changes, all other fluids every 2-3 years, tires should have been replaced several times even just for age, belts for the same reason, potentially brake pads, maybe a clutch, etc. If I found a mid-30k car with only annual oil changes for maintenance I would likely pass on that car.

Am I thinking about this the right way?
Some of the typical wear items that you mentioned are contingent on owner's driving agressiveness, ie clutch, brakes and tires, but yes, it's a fair assumption, as a a mid-30k car should have had a 30k service interval in addition to the typical oil changes every 3-5k, or yearly, depending on your beliefs.
Old 04-24-2012, 10:47 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

If I found a mid-30k car with only annual oil changes for maintenance I would likely pass on that car.
I did state "fluid changes" not just oil changes.

I believe I still have the original clutch in my car, and driven properly, there is no reason a clutch won't last well over 120K miles. If I found a car with compete documentation showing a clutch change at some low mileage, I'd worry as to how it was driven and even cared for by the owner.

I also prefer a lower mileage unmolested car because chances are better that some weekend warrior hadn't worked on it yet.
Old 04-24-2012, 11:16 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by IXLR8
I did state "fluid changes" not just oil changes.

I believe I still have the original clutch in my car, and driven properly, there is no reason a clutch won't last well over 120K miles. If I found a car with compete documentation showing a clutch change at some low mileage, I'd worry as to how it was driven and even cared for by the owner.

I also prefer a lower mileage unmolested car because chances are better that some weekend warrior hadn't worked on it yet.
Fair enough, I missed that one. And you are absolutely correct I would have some doubts about the need for a new clutch in such a short use span. It certainly would create more questions, but if the PPI came back with very high marks I might still consider it.

This is all going to be so much fun ... I mean that somewhat sarcastically, I expect that there will be a lot of frustration along the way but the ultimate reward will be worth it.
Old 04-24-2012, 11:40 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

If the PPI came back with very high marks I might still consider it.
Most owners will tell me I was nuts, but I bought the first 993 I came across. I didn't even get a PPI done, although I personally inspected the car over two weekends. It was the second of three Porsches I saw that weekend, but with the other two being 997s, the choice was easy.

So far in almost three years, no surprises. Who knows, maybe I'll get bitten in the butt one day.

Quick Reply: Beginning my search and would like some help and opinions ...