Fan belt reinstall issue...

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2012, 10:43 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 329 Likes on 264 Posts
Thumbs up fixed..

Originally Posted by IXLR8
Get a belt tension device. They are under $20.
this was the probem...https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...t-smoking.html

note to self - take photos of everything, even the obvious.

Thanks all....

Oh, my new American Express tool held together by electrical tape...
Attached Images  

Last edited by TRINITONY; 04-23-2012 at 12:48 AM.
Old 04-23-2012, 01:34 AM
mgianzero
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Glad you figured it out. I figured something was not put back correctly with reinstallation. I believe the difference b/w your original pulley assembly and the factory upgrade pulley is that the upgrade has no spacers since the pulley halves and spacers are one piece. I think they also changed the pitch on the pulley halves to minimize belt wear. Someone else can check me on my facts.

However, I am still puzzled if you said your new belt was thicker than the older one you were replacing. If this is the case, then your new belt is not the correct size. The belts must have the same thickness to have a similar tension.

You could also easily go to 4 or 5 shims to loosen the belt up a bit.
Old 04-23-2012, 01:41 AM
mgianzero
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by TRINITONY
In the photo marked in red, that piece of rubber shrod came apart from age. How much is the replacement cost?
That part is the air duct for the engine cooling fan. Part # is 993-106-403-00. It's common that they become brittle with age. If you end up touching it sometimes it will just crumble. I think it has a lot to do with the engine heat over time. Cost of part is around $60.

Marc
Old 04-23-2012, 03:11 AM
kjr914
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Looks llike your problem is solved, but here's my 2c....
Originally Posted by TRINITONY
this is how tight the belt is....

I had some trouble installing a new belt at one point like you are, but I found that the belt sensor wheel (on left side of your pic) was pushing too much on the belt and wouldn't allow me to get the belt on properly. I used some blue painter's tape to temporarily hold it out of the way while I put the belt on, and problem solved.
Old 04-23-2012, 11:09 AM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 329 Likes on 264 Posts

Originally Posted by mgianzero
However, I am still puzzled if you said your new belt was thicker than the older one you were replacing. If this is the case, then your new belt is not the correct size. The belts must have the same thickness to have a similar tension.

You could also easily go to 4 or 5 shims to loosen the belt up a bit.
The new belt was slightly thicker (since it was unstretched I think), and I couldn't stretch it pass the shims. Once I put on the alt' pulley/24 nut to hold everything in place, and crank the engine once, the belt moved enough (like shown in Robin's pic above) that I could get the 3 bolts to catch. I could of save a lot of hours if I had done this initially.

Originally Posted by kjr914
Looks llike your problem is solved, but here's my 2c....

I had some trouble installing a new belt at one point like you are, but I found that the belt sensor wheel (on left side of your pic) was pushing too much on the belt and wouldn't allow me to get the belt on properly. I used some blue painter's tape to temporarily hold it out of the way while I put the belt on, and problem solved.
I wish it were the sensor, I had moved it out of the way without any luck. The belt was on properly, it just would stretch pass the holes in the pulley. Guess due to the thickness...

Quick Reply: Fan belt reinstall issue...