Sponsored by:

Fan belt reinstall issue...

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2012, 02:11 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 252 Posts

Originally Posted by mgianzero
Actually that might not be too tight, although I cannot say for sure without being there. This might be a silly thing to think at this point, but realize there are two different size belts for these cars. The inner belt is typically a 776mm length and the outer one is 760mm so make sure you are installing the larger one first.

As long as you can pull the belt above (or out of the way) of the shims when you clamp down the pulley halves with the bolts, then you should be okay. Then turnover the car (DME relay removed) a few times with the bolts somewhat tightened on the pulley halves to get the belt to slide up on the V-groove a bit. Then tighten the pulley halves down again until the pulley halves are tight together. Turnover the car a few more times and see how tight your belt is after its initial stretch. If not too bad, then start up the car and run for a few minutes. Turn off and then check your tension again.

Marc
can't get pulley bolts to catch even with removing the shims, new belt seems thicker....see pics. Old belt laying on the new one...
Attached Images   
Old 04-22-2012, 02:13 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

hmm...one part of the belt is narrower..let me try that...
Old 04-22-2012, 04:40 PM
mgianzero
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Your belts should be the exact same thickness. This is critical with regards to tensioning V-belts. If the thickness is difference, the tension can change drastically.

Where did you purchase you new belts? Did you purchase the Porsche brand belts. They need to say Porsche on them, usually in big bold letters. If they are not Porsche, you may have problems. There has been quite a few people who had problems with other aftermarket brands.

Marc
Old 04-22-2012, 04:45 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 694 Likes on 482 Posts

They need to say Porsche on them, usually in big bold letters.
Along with the Porsche script, they may also have Dayco on them as well...

Old 04-22-2012, 04:56 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Default Success,,,,

Pull DME, and button belts up minus the 3 bolts. A couple cranks later the belt stretched, and was able to catch the 3 bolts.

Put alt' belt on guess too tight as it started smoking. Should I remove the some shims....

Damm..Boston just scored...
Old 04-22-2012, 04:57 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Your belts should be the exact same thickness. This is critical with regards to tensioning V-belts. If the thickness is difference, the tension can change drastically.

Where did you purchase you new belts? Did you purchase the Porsche brand belts. They need to say Porsche on them, usually in big bold letters. If they are not Porsche, you may have problems. There has been quite a few people who had problems with other aftermarket brands.

Marc
Sunbelt Porsche......

edit: Sunset Porsche...Sunbelt, that's a generator company here in MD..lol

Last edited by TRINITONY; 04-23-2012 at 12:54 AM. Reason: must be drunk...
Old 04-22-2012, 05:40 PM
mgianzero
Rennlist Member

Sunbelt Porsche. Is that a dealership? In which case, they should be Porsche OEM belts. Yes, Alex is right in that they may say Dayco on them, but they also must say "Porsche" somewhere on the belts. If not, purchase a new set. Pelican Parts has a good deal. No affiliation.

Smoking is not good. Remember, the MORE the shims, the LOOSER the belts. Or the LESS shims, the TIGHTER the belts. Typical installations use about 4 shims for each V-belt pulley. This can easily vary on your Porsche, but that's probably what most cars have.

There is usually extra shims placed on the OUTSIDE of the outer pulley to be used for as extras for adjustments. If you don't have any, you can buy more shims from any Porsche dealership. Maybe a $1.50 a piece. Not cheap for a shim, but you probably only need a few.

Marc
Old 04-22-2012, 05:43 PM
mgianzero
Rennlist Member

I took a second look at your belts in the pic (little fuzzy but I think I see them okay). That belts is much to thick for your car. The belts should really sit below the lip of each pulley half. Look at Alex's pic for a reference. If you belts sits ABOVE the pulley, it is much too thick.

Marc
Old 04-22-2012, 06:05 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

I took a second look at your belts in the pic (little fuzzy but I think I see them okay). That belts is much to thick for your car. The belts should really sit below the lip of each pulley half. Look at Alex's pic for a reference. If you belts sits ABOVE the pulley, it is much too thick.

Marc
. The belts are sitting fine now. I'm running an errand and will post an update photo later. What is the rule, more shims to get it tighter?
Old 04-22-2012, 06:07 PM
mgianzero
Rennlist Member

The MORE the shims, the LOOSER the belt becomes. So, assuming the belts are the correct ones and the crank pulley is not obstructed with anything and you are using the correct pulley halves, you need more shims to make it looser. How many shims are you using currently?

Marc
Old 04-22-2012, 06:29 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

The MORE the shims, the LOOSER the belt becomes. So, assuming the belts are the correct ones and the crank pulley is not obstructed with anything and you are using the correct pulley halves, you need more shims to make it looser. How many shims are you using currently?

Marc
I think I'm using 4 on the inside. Not 100% sure though, will Be able to check in a couple hours.
Old 04-22-2012, 08:36 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Default Two questions....

In the photo marked in red, that piece of rubber shrod came apart from age. How much is the replacement cost? And the black wire from the AC unit, does it connect to the green on the rear panel box?
Attached Images  
Old 04-22-2012, 08:54 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,414 Likes on 816 Posts

replacement part is like $35

can't help you on the wire
Old 04-22-2012, 10:17 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Marc
There were 3 shims.

I took apart the pulley, and there was some melted rubber on the inside of both pulleys. I add one more shim, and put every thing back together. After s couple mins, there's a lil smoke, and the alt' pulley is way hot, and the fan pulley is warm. Is that normal? Should I order more shims? I'm tempted to put my old belt back. The belt doesn't feel overly tight like before...this is becoming a PIA..lol

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
replacement part is like $35

can't help you on the wire
tks quad....
Old 04-22-2012, 10:30 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 694 Likes on 482 Posts

Get a belt tension device. They are under $20.

Quick Reply: Fan belt reinstall issue...