Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The DIY gods hate me today...

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2012 | 07:31 PM
jhg41977
Three Wheelin'

Default The DIY gods hate me today...

So I am installing a lwf and rs clutch in my C4S. Finally had all the pieces this am (seals etc) and got to work. I am working on my own, with floor jacks and a atv jack for the transmission.

First attempt; Was going well. Got the tranny into place, put the clutch fork shaft in place first try, got the little rubber cap in place, dropped the retainer when I attempted to finish. Remove tranny, start again

Second attempt; Dropped the rubber cap. Remove tranny, start again

Third attempt (and current); f%^$&#$@ duct tape is stuck to the g%^$&# clutch fork! Thinking about leaving the duct tape in! (not really)

Has anyone tried using string to hold the clutch fork in place and then just leaving it in there? I would think the string would just get shredded right? If I cant get the tape off and I have to do this again, I am using the string.

On a good note, my wife does not feel safe with me working on the car with a jack stand under each corner. They are 6 ton stands with nice wide bases. Anyway, she said to get a lift. Say WHAAAAT? Any suggestions?
Old 04-19-2012 | 07:49 PM
flatsixforme
Burning Brakes

Man, this is a bummer! This doesn't help you now but I used the duct tape method; however, I tied a peice of string to the far edge and ran it through the access hole so I could be sure to pull it off. As for what to do now, go buy one of those long flexible grabber tools and work it off. Auto parts stores have them...I think I got mine at harbor freight.

As far as a lift...Max Jax!!! Just got mine a few weeks ago and it is awesome! I mounted it on the wall so it is semi-permanent. I have not finished getting things organized in the garage and I'll eventually paint the wood but here it is installed.

Name:  IMG_6690.JPG
Views: 276
Size:  113.7 KB

Name:  IMG_6691.JPG
Views: 299
Size:  118.4 KB

Name:  IMG_6696.JPG
Views: 271
Size:  59.6 KB
Old 04-19-2012 | 08:03 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

That lift is nice Adam.

I can also recommend the Bendpak mid-rise scissor lift-I've had mine for about 7 years now-love it!
Old 04-19-2012 | 08:06 PM
jhg41977
Three Wheelin'

After a few moments to relax I went back. I have found favor with the gods once again. Not sure my arm will ever be the same, I feel like a contortionist! Finally was able to get the duct tape off. I did leave a 1 inch tab that I had folded over a few times so I would have something to grab, it was stuck on the face of the fork.

A few notes.

When inserting the rubber bushing/plug after the shaft, a 3/8 deep socket with a six inch extension works well. Stick the little nub inside the socket, it fits pretty tight. Then you can install it much easier. Use the deep socket, you are less likely to catch that and drop it on your way out.

Installing the little bolt and bracket. Stick a piece of plastic bag over the socket, then pit the bolt head into the socket, the plastic will help hold the bolt steady and also stop it from falling out. Then put the bracket on the bolt (check to be sure it faces the correct way) and tie a piece of string around the shaft of the bolt. Leave yourself a foot or so of string. The string pulls the bracket to the bolt and allows you to install it easily. Cut the string when you are done. The bag holds the socket so you can't drop it.
Old 04-19-2012 | 08:06 PM
jhg41977
Three Wheelin'

Where did you get the lift Adam? Looks nice!
Old 04-19-2012 | 08:58 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

You can also buy a mechanics magnet to hold the assembly and even start threading the bolt in. Being creative is the key to getting parts into hard places.
Old 04-19-2012 | 08:59 PM
flatsixforme
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jhg41977
Where did you get the lift Adam? Looks nice!
Garage Equipment Supply, they are a couple hours north of me so shipping was not very expensive. Not sure if they have a distributor closer to you. I waited for a garage journal group buy for $1800 + $60 for shipping. These things jumped up on price a year or so ago by $400 and so I held off on getting one...until the one day group buy of course. Costco online sells them and I was going to get it from them but the price was $2400 shipped I think? Depending on where you are and how much shipping is from the manufacturer, Costco online might be the cheaper way to go. It is made by Danmar which is a repuatable company who makes quality products. Customer support is excellent as well. Is it worth the $2400, absolutely, well made and offers a two post design that fits in a single bay garage like mine. I really didn't want to have to build ramps to drive my car up and over a mid rise scissor lift so that option was out for me. Also, I wanted to be able to have free access under the car. I'm very glad I waited for the 2 post.
Old 04-19-2012 | 10:54 PM
levtron
Racer

Thanks for the extra note.. Dropped engine earlier today. This is good to know for the re-install..

I do have a MAJOR issue.. The clutch plate bolts (9x) are too short.. I am doing the LWF as well.. and looks like the bolts are 5mm longer, then what I got.. Will be calling every porsche shop in the area looking for RS bolts...

Old 04-19-2012 | 11:00 PM
jhg41977
Three Wheelin'

I can't help there, I bought mine from FD and they sent all new hardware. If you dropped the engine you should have a much easier time with the clutch fork shaft! Hope yours goes together first try!
Old 04-19-2012 | 11:13 PM
CalvinC4S
Drifting

The tape sucks, I switched to using a 4" cutting of coat hanger bent in the slots of the pressure plate holding the fork up, then pull it out with a pliers.
I have done the last dozen or so like that with good results.
Old 04-20-2012 | 12:07 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by flatsixforme
I really didn't want to have to build ramps to drive my car up and over a mid rise scissor lift so that option was out for me. Also, I wanted to be able to have free access under the car. I'm very glad I waited for the 2 post.
The ramps aren't bad...and a scissor lift keeps the sides of the car clear. The third car section of my garage is a bit tight. I think that either one has positives and negatives, but both beat floor jacks and jackstands.
Old 04-20-2012 | 12:09 AM
jhg41977
Three Wheelin'

Can you get a scissor lift with secondary jacks so you can get wheels off?
Old 04-20-2012 | 12:19 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

You don't need secondary jacks with a scissor. Oh, some pics of the scissor:
Attached Images    
Old 04-20-2012 | 01:11 AM
inkatouring
Three Wheelin'

I have the MaxxJax and it is very nice, but a bit of a PITA if you do not leave it installed permanently. I have a small garage and keep the MaxxJax in the corner, occasionally moving it out for use. In that situation, if I had it to do all over, I would cut a recess in the floor for a scissor jack. If I had a nice big garage like Adam's, I'd go MaxxJax. YMMV.
Old 04-20-2012 | 07:11 AM
jhg41977
Three Wheelin'

Ahh, when you said ramps, I thought the scissor jack was attached to ramps that the wheels set on. Now I see. I like the post style lifts since they leave the entire underside clear but I don't want to deal with the posts constantly in the way. Max jax seems to have fixed that issue for me. I need to look at cost.

May be able to finish the car today and make harsher but don't think ill be able ti get it aligned first. Looks like im taking the truck.

Quick Reply: The DIY gods hate me today...