Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

True Mileage Unknown__run away?

Old 04-07-2012, 03:38 PM
skywachr
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The mileage records shown on the CARFAX would lead me to want to do a PPI if I liked the car enough minus the ridiculous tail. http://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistory...Section CARFAX
Old 04-07-2012, 05:11 PM
Mister C
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 1pcarnut
Another thought. Play detective. Look at the carfax, ask if there are any paper records, and have the dealer run the vin for service records and see if the mileage looks like it accumulated at a regular rate and interval. You might find a gap that points to when the odo quit, it might give you a good idea how long it's been out. Then walk or make an offer based on reduced value.
Goog idea Roger. So let's see what carfax shows:

05/31/2006 46,370 Virginia|Inspection Station
Vienna, VA Passed emission
06/01/2010 46,681 VirginiaInspection Station
Vienna, VA Passed emissions inspection
06/24/2011 47,767 Virginia\Inspection Station
03/16/2012 48,046 Dealer Inventory Vehicle offered for sale

When I saw the car it had 48,046 miles on it which is same as the Dealer intake a few weeks ago. So it seems the odo failure is recent. In the archives there is a dispute over whether resetting the odo while moving causes the issue. In any event, everyone seems to agree that the mechanism is weak.

Also, in 4 years it was driven 311 miles (2006-2010) and then 279 miles the next 2 years. Before that was a history of 5-10k a year. This car has been sitting.

As far as this car goes I think I am going to pass. I would rather have a higher mileage, better maintained car--hopefully with some nice upgrades like suspension, HID, stereo. This car doesn't fit that bill.

On the long term ownership side, it would seem prudent to have the odo replaced. Documentation would seem easier in a preventive maintenance situation rather than happening to notice that it quit and back filling.
Old 04-07-2012, 05:23 PM
1pcarnut
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mister C
Goog idea Roger. So let's see what carfax shows:

05/31/2006 46,370 Virginia|Inspection Station
Vienna, VA Passed emission
06/01/2010 46,681 VirginiaInspection Station
06/24/2011 47,767 Virginia\Inspection Station
03/16/2012 48,046 Dealer Inventory Vehicle offered for sale

When I saw the car it had 48,046 miles on it which is same as the Dealer intake a few weeks ago. So it seems the odo failure is recent. In the archives there is a dispute over whether resetting the odo while moving causes the issue. In any event, everyone seems to agree that the mechanism is weak.

Also, in 4 years it was driven 311 miles (2006-2010) and then 279 miles the next 2 years. Before that was a history of 5-10k a year. This car has been sitting.

As far as this car goes I think I am going to pass. I would rather have a higher mileage, better maintained car--hopefully with some nice upgrades like suspension, HID, stereo. This car doesn't fit that bill.

On the long term ownership side, it would seem prudent to have the odo replaced. Documentation would seem easier in a preventive maintenance situation rather than happening to notice that it quit and back filling.
Based on those numbers it looks like the odo died within the last 8-9 months so I would imagine the miles aren't that far off. I tend to look for something to give me leverage to get a bargain and this certainly does that. But if you're not comfortable then by all means just add this to your learning curve and keep looking.
Old 04-07-2012, 08:10 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Many have had the odometer gear failure and you can bet just about everyone will have it at some point. 30 minutes and $25 later and it's better than new. Better because the new gear won't yellow and crumble in 15 years. I see this as a huge opportunity to negotiate a great deal on what may very well be the best example you are ever going to find. I say that because after years of looking and digging in on many finalists, I realized it's very difficult to find a somewhat pristine example out there.

If you are going to pass on it, let us all know where it is so we can get a shot at it Meaning, don't give up on it that quickly, it may be a perfect car and you might not find another for a long time. Use the odometer issue to negotiate a great deal and that means PPI where they resolve any issues found. New tires, pads, oil, filter, etc. Whatever the car needs it gets. I had a deal like that on mine where we made our deal on price and the premise was the car was 100%. Thorough PPI by local Porsche dealer turned up a dead windshield washer pump, a few trim pieces, and tires. Even though it didn't call for it, they also changed all fluids and filters.

Maybe you can get them to fix the air dam, pull any dings (paintless dent removal), put on new tires, etc. Whatever you find as issues, they fix.
Old 04-08-2012, 09:59 PM
Mister C
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RonCT
If you are going to pass on it, let us all know where it is so we can get a shot at it Meaning, don't give up on it that quickly, it may be a perfect car and you might not find another for a long time. Use the odometer issue to negotiate a great deal and that means PPI where they resolve any issues found. New tires, pads, oil, filter, etc. Whatever the car needs it gets. I had a deal like that on mine where we made our deal on price and the premise was the car was 100%. Thorough PPI by local Porsche dealer turned up a dead windshield washer pump, a few trim pieces, and tires. Even though it didn't call for it, they also changed all fluids and filters.

Maybe you can get them to fix the air dam, pull any dings (paintless dent removal), put on new tires, etc. Whatever you find as issues, they fix.
Good suggestions and if I were more interested in this particular car I would take your suggestion. But this is not the right car for me. If anyone else is interested, there is a link on page 1 above to the car on autotrader. Its in Fairfax, VA.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: True Mileage Unknown__run away?