Sponsored by:

True Mileage Unknown__run away?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2012, 04:49 PM
Mister C
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Default True Mileage Unknown__run away?

I have started my search for a 993. Much as I love my 05' 9972S I think I am falling pretty hard for a 993.

Anyhow, took my very first drive in a 993 today (1996 base Carrera). Boy those pedals feel strange but I could get used to that.

After a few miles I noticed that the odometer wasn't moving. I mention this to dealer in the passenger seat and he asks me to drive a bit more. Sure enough the odo is shot.

The dealer is now totally embarrassed as he knew nothing about the broken odo. He now has a "true mileage unknown" 911 on his hands.

Let's assume that the car is otherwise acceptable to you but is a true mileage unknown vehicle. Would you run away fast? Do a leakdown/compression test and full PPI before proceeding further? Obviously, this affects the value in a major way. But perhaps I could get it for high teens, keep it as my beater/DD. Decisions, decisions. Any input would be appreciated.

Last edited by Mister C; 04-06-2012 at 09:33 PM. Reason: typo in model year
Old 04-06-2012, 05:07 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Not enough info to provide an adequate answer. Is the TMU listed on the Carfax? If it is and if you don't plan on holding onto the car forever, the TMU will brand the title. Even if you do plan on holding onto the 993 forever, fortunes can change and you might be forced to sell.
Old 04-06-2012, 05:24 PM
Mister C
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the reply Mark.

The TMU is not listed in the Carfax--at least not yet anyhow.

Here is the car.

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...18144255&Log=0

They were asking $37.9k for it before I discovered the TMU issue.

The car has the following:
--1996 coupe with 48k+ miles, blue on tan
--front air dam cracked
--front part of hood has been resprayed (dealer claims to fix rock chips)
--several dings (yeah, a drivers car)
--upgraded exhaust
--extra set of wheels
--needs new tires and alignment
--interior in pretty good shape

I am still learning about value and my stab at high teens is probably off the mark. Any idea on value assuming ok PPI?

After searching the archives a bit more it seems that many are comfortable with a full positive PPI with such vehicles. The resale value would be an issue. You are correct that my current plan of driving it into the ground may change and I may wan to sell later.
Old 04-06-2012, 05:35 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

I would be shocked if you could get this for the high teens. All the dealer has to do is fix the odometer and find another buyer. $38K is too high no matter what. I think the market price is high $20K's, low $30K's. If I weren't in my busy season, I would go take a look at it for you, along with Andreas. We're pretty good at picking these things apart.

Not sure where you are but don't be afraid to travel for a good car. Lots of Rennlisters who can do a RennFax for you.
Old 04-06-2012, 05:52 PM
Mister C
Rennlist Member

Thanks again Mark.

Not sure how serious I am about this car. As I mentioned, I just started my search for a 993 and the learning curve is still steep. I need to look at lots more 993 before I really know what I want.

I appreciate the offer on a Rennfax. The more I visit this forum the more I appreciate the community. It reminds me of Audiworld years ago when I had my S4. I need to upgrade to Rennlist Member.

I just noticed that you had an 05 997S and moved to a 993. While I am not looking at a G class race car like yours it seems we had similar thoughts on moving from 997 to 993.

By the way, I am in the Washington DC area.

Michael
Old 04-06-2012, 06:00 PM
vincer77
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
I would be shocked if you could get this for the high teens. All the dealer has to do is fix the odometer and find another buyer. $38K is too high no matter what. I think the market price is high $20K's, low $30K's. If I weren't in my busy season, I would go take a look at it for you, along with Andreas. We're pretty good at picking these things apart.

Not sure where you are but don't be afraid to travel for a good car. Lots of Rennlisters who can do a RennFax for you.
Pretty much agree with Mark, though w/o good history and the broken odo, $30s is a stretch. Keep looking. This one is just part of the education.
Old 04-06-2012, 06:25 PM
NP993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think it needs a tri-plane tail. The bi-plane look just isn't enough cowbell for a commuter car. Maybe even a quad-plane.
Old 04-06-2012, 06:37 PM
kjr914
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I think you drove a 1996 993 Carrera, not a 2006...

If you do a search here (odometer gear or similar search terms), you'll find that the broken odometer is a very common problem for the 993. There are several small plastic gears that degrade (softening plastic from the grease, IIRC) and the teeth break off killing the odometer. I'll venture a guess that most 993s will experience this in the coming years, since its not just a "wear" item, but seemingly a chemical/physical degradation. There's a very easy fix.

BUT, now you're talking TMU on the title. So deduct heavily for this and try for a good deal! MOST important is a clean PPI (pre-purchase inspection) and any prior records of maintenance and history. Any "good deal" can be quickly wiped out by an engine rebuild after purchase.

Over the last 5 years, I think I've seen 1 993 sell into the teens, with >150k miles on it.

Take your time looking for a car if you can. Plenty of well sorted, well documented cars pop up here on RL...where I found mine, just 1 hr away. The hunt just makes the catch that much more sweet!

Originally Posted by eBayAd
**LOCALLY OWNED, UPGRADED CARERRA WHEELS** 1996 Porsche 911 6Speed Manual w/ only 48k miles. Blue with Tan Leather Interior. Locally owned by a Porsche Enthusiast, this vehicle has been babied, garage kept, and regularly servcied. Very rare to find, start your collection or add on this vehicle is a must see! Upgraded 17' Carerra Wheels, Upgraded Audio System, 6 Speed Manual Transmission, Leather Seats, Power Everything and much more! This 1996 Porsche 911 CARRERA **LOCALLY OWNED LOW MILES** includes:
Tax,Tag, Title and $395 processing fee not included. Please call to verify pricing and availability.
The guy needs to learn to spell Carrera.. And weren't the 17" CupII's the standard on 96+, or were there still the 16" versions after 95?

Last edited by kjr914; 04-06-2012 at 09:43 PM.
Old 04-06-2012, 09:43 PM
Mister C
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys.

I agree with Vince that I should..."Keep looking. This one is just part of the education."

As to NP993 comment about a tail, it did have a fire extinguisher. Not a bad cow bell for a commuter. By the way, it was empty.

I would prefer to buy from Rennlister if I can. I thought I would start with some dealer cars as a base comparison.

The hunt and homework on this project are going to be fun.
Old 04-06-2012, 10:01 PM
nathan1
Three Wheelin'

Received 404 Likes on 122 Posts

I always assume TMU unless service records document mileage without any doubt. You can change an odometer in one of these cars in about 2 minutes, 3 minutes tops if your mentally slow. Not to mention since odometers commonly fail, how long did a person drive with it broken? I cant tell you how many cars I see that claim mid-mileage but you look at the wear points and drive the cars and they just dont look or drive like low mileage cars.

Like other posters said look at enough of these cars, if you look and drive enough you will just get the sense when a car drives likes its mileage suggests it might. I just got a 95 993 with 26k original miles and you can just simply FEEL it from the way the steering wheel leather feels, to how tight it feels, it just exudes limited use. It just takes seat time to get to know that feel.

I wouldnt avoid high mileage either, my last 993 had 157k when I sold it to another RL'r who is VERY happy with it, just make sure if you are paying for low mileage you really are getting low mileage...

According to the Carfax this car has only been driven 2,000 miles in 6 years...
Old 04-06-2012, 11:21 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 863 Likes on 438 Posts

Very interesting thread... and a beautiful car. If you love the way it drives, love the unusual but beautiful color combo and two tone interior and it passes a PPI, you should strongly consider this car.

Very cool interior.
Old 04-07-2012, 10:59 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mister C
Thanks again Mark.

Not sure how serious I am about this car. As I mentioned, I just started my search for a 993 and the learning curve is still steep. I need to look at lots more 993 before I really know what I want.

I appreciate the offer on a Rennfax. The more I visit this forum the more I appreciate the community. It reminds me of Audiworld years ago when I had my S4. I need to upgrade to Rennlist Member.

I just noticed that you had an 05 997S and moved to a 993. While I am not looking at a G class race car like yours it seems we had similar thoughts on moving from 997 to 993.

By the way, I am in the Washington DC area.

Michael
I bought the 997 while I had the 993. The water-cooled car was very fast and had an awesome sport exhaust and excellent seats. Suspension on the sport setting was wonky at very high speeds over certain types of bumps. Hated the e-throttle and not being able to left foot brake. It was a spur of the moment buy for me.

Even if you don't have a 993 by the time Steve has his Rennlist meet and drive, you should come out anyway. I'm going to try and make it, and Andreas has threatened to show his face.

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...ks-10am-o.html
Old 04-07-2012, 12:00 PM
Mister C
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
I bought the 997 while I had the 993. The water-cooled car was very fast and had an awesome sport exhaust and excellent seats. Suspension on the sport setting was wonky at very high speeds over certain types of bumps. Hated the e-throttle and not being able to left foot brake. It was a spur of the moment buy for me.

Even if you don't have a 993 by the time Steve has his Rennlist meet and drive, you should come out anyway. I'm going to try and make it, and Andreas has threatened to show his face.

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...ks-10am-o.html
Just signed up as Rennlist Member.

I plan on joining the meet and drive. Looks like fun. I probably wont have a 993 by then but will bring along my 997S.
Old 04-07-2012, 01:56 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

as common as this plastic gear failure is i would be willing to bet there are a lot of Rennlist and other 964 and 993's out there that should be branded with 'mileage unknown' yet you will never know or be told. Pop out the guage and most likely you can see if the black ringface has been pulled off.
Old 04-07-2012, 02:26 PM
1pcarnut
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Another thought. Play detective. Look at the carfax, ask if there are any paper records, and have the dealer run the vin for service records and see if the mileage looks like it accumulated at a regular rate and interval. You might find a gap that points to when the odo quit, it might give you a good idea how long it's been out. Then walk or make an offer based on reduced value.

Quick Reply: True Mileage Unknown__run away?