Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

993 RSR Install begins

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 12:15 AM
camlob
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It might be too much trouble, but could you post how to install the electric power steering pump and parts needed?

Aside from the weight savings, what other benefits are there? Power train savings?
Old 04-09-2012, 07:51 AM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 993 RSR engine

^^^^ There are a couple of advantages of the pump removal: PS line and reservoir is a bit messy for engine removal and is I think the biggest nuisance while dropping the motor. You do add 8 to 10 whp which is pretty significant. Keep in mind how the pump is geared directly off the cam with a larger gear into a much smaller one on the pump itself. Here are some before and after in the engine bay of how much more room is made.
Attached Images   
Old 04-09-2012, 06:23 PM
camlob
Pro

Originally Posted by bobt993
^^^^ There are a couple of advantages of the pump removal: PS line and reservoir is a bit messy for engine removal and is I think the biggest nuisance while dropping the motor. You do add 8 to 10 whp which is pretty significant. Keep in mind how the pump is geared directly off the cam with a larger gear into a much smaller one on the pump itself. Here are some before and after in the engine bay of how much more room is made.
Wow, 10 whp is a lot and should justify the mod. Where do you tap the electric PS into?
Old 04-09-2012, 06:29 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

The electric pump ends up in the front. PS pump needs a heavy amperage switch/breaker (at least 50amps) and a direct battery connection from there. I spoke with Trevor Dawe this morning and they had ordered extra sets of lines/mounts when doing Glen's and another so I was easily convinced to have them fit it. Most of their time was spent pulling the old pump/lines etc. The front makes the job a lot easier and the lines shorter. Glen can confirm that his new dyno pulls were up between 8 and 10whp following the modification. I am going to concentrate on gathering the other items and mate the trans with the puck clutch tonight.
Old 04-09-2012, 06:34 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 584 Likes on 401 Posts

Here's what a typical install looks like in a 964

Old 04-10-2012, 01:30 AM
camlob
Pro

Originally Posted by trophy
I just bought a 997 cup electric ps pump from rennlister oemexp, great service...
How do I contact this vendor? Wow, you guys are spoiled with the shops there I have seen a Dawe car over here, RSR replica, and the quality behind the car was amazing.

Looks like I have to do a lot of research on this. How do you fit a 997 cup electric ps pump? Do our tie-rods match up? Does it fit to our bracket? Sorry for all these questions but it seems like one of the mods that I want to do
Old 04-10-2012, 10:58 AM
trophy
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Hey Paul, sent you a PM intro for you and Mark (oemexp).

My pump should arrive this week and will be putting it in in the next couple of months. Send me youe email via PM and I will send you some other installed pics.

The pump mounts in the front as per Bills pic. You need power as per Bob, and some short high and low pressure lines to connect directly to your existing power steering rack. No other changes are needed.
Old 04-10-2012, 11:09 AM
ninjabones
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

as requested... credit to Dawe for the fabrication. The mount cradle has foam/rubber for vibration dampening as well as the rubber mounts on the mounting tabs. you can see the power and fuse in the background.
Attached Images    
Old 04-10-2012, 11:11 AM
trophy
Race Car

Hey Glen, I was going to post your pics, but as they were your pics, would let you do it
Old 04-10-2012, 05:09 PM
lopro
Banned

great job explaining it all. Nice and simple
Old 04-10-2012, 07:26 PM
camlob
Pro

Originally Posted by trophy
Hey Glen, I was going to post your pics, but as they were your pics, would let you do it
Thanks Steven, Ill send you a email. I was confused and realized that you didnt need to change the rack. All you need is the PS pump. So it looks manageable for our shop here to do.
Old 04-11-2012, 12:07 AM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

On my own tonight:

Engine married with trans. I have some picts of the clutch setup if requested: 4puck, RSR flywheel, turbo pressure plate. I have done this on my own many times, but finally came up with an easy system for joining the trans/eng. Instead of wrestling with the trans I positioned the trans on a jacking platform while the engine is on a dolly. Moving the engine on the dolly made easy alignment of the main shaft and it slid in place with no effort (less than 2 mins including the the clutch fork!!).

I then positioned the engine behind the car. The MSD ignition is loose since we decided to change the mounting system. Very easy to do while in the car. Another little bit. If your on your own and not using a lift you need a motorcycle jack and two floor jacks. With limited room a crescent wrench works well as a handle and lever.

final pict engine in the car. Next is the hook ups. The new headers are much wider so I have to fab some new bumper brackets by the rear wheels.
Attached Images      
Old 04-11-2012, 01:28 AM
trophy
Race Car

Looking good, I bet you cannot wait to get her fired up....

Would love to see pics of the clutch setup.
Old 04-11-2012, 08:20 AM
ninjabones
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Bob:

I know Yonker and Healey are silently watching this thread... and trembling
Old 04-11-2012, 08:28 AM
danielyonker
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

There has to be cheating going somehow, somewhere.....Damn it!

Quick Reply: 993 RSR Install begins