Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Bruce Anderson's Values in Excellence magazine- What a joke!

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 09:47 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,257 Likes on 588 Posts

Originally Posted by TheOtherEric
ZOMG THE INTARWEB HAS INFLAMMATORY POSTS!!! If you can't cope with that reality, you best turn your computer off.

And yup, 1998 C2S five years ago for $35k is stupidity, plain and simple. It's a bad mark on an otherwise great magazine. The price listings are actually interesting, and I suspect the vast majority of us would rather you fixed the numbers instead of eliminating the column. Just my 2c.

p.s. "2c" means "two cents" since you obviously don't understand the internet.
Sigh.
Old 03-29-2012, 09:52 PM
Resident Sicko
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

He's a BUM. (My 2 cents) and agree with OP and those who agree with me agreeing.
Old 03-29-2012, 10:19 PM
keithgreer
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Pete, I thoroughly enjoy your magazine. I literally get excited when I get it in the mail and savor every article. I even read them several times. I get most of the major magazines and yours is tops. Keep up the good work (although I agree with most people the value section is the least valuable to me. I never even read it).
Old 03-29-2012, 10:40 PM
Ed Burdell
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

There's a lot of stuff going on here: relatively few data points, our admitted non-objectivity with regard to 993's affecting our perception, a certain confirmation bias whenever we see a car trade hands at high prices vs. the low-priced dogs that get swept under the rug, and the simple fact that 993's were only on a traditional depreciation curve for a short period of time immediately after their debut. Post 996, they gained cachet and hence price, and now they seem to be on the cusp of another change: are they '73 RS-esque classics to be, or are they really old cars now? Perhaps the 3.2's are our best guideposts, as they preceded the relatively unloved 964's.

While this is perhaps a defense of Bruce's column, the truth is we have more and better information about these cars than the great unwashed. We can capitalize on this if we choose when buying from the uninitiated. On the sell side, however, best to sell to a fellow aficionado: intellectual arbitrage!
Old 03-30-2012, 12:03 AM
solomonschris
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think Ed has made some good points. In my case, it was reading Bruce Anderson that brought me back into the Porsche fold. After seeing the trouble my friends had with 2.7 liter 911S's I knew I didn't want to share that grief. If you guys are unhappy about his 993 valuations, how would you feel about what he had to say about those 2.7's if you owned one of those. I must say that I always enjoy his technical writing, although there are folks on this forum who might disagree due to their far superior technical knowledge compared to mine. As to his valuation of 993's, if you accept his assumed mileage of 7-9000 miles per year (still well under the 12-15K national average) then what is a 17 year old C2 with between 119,000 and 153,000 miles worth. I think he is low in his estimates but I also think our cars are very likely the cream of the crop of 993 survivors. After all,there were tens of thousands sold here, but how many are represented on this site. The car sitting in my garage was driven 1,600 miles per year before I bought it! I plan to raise that average considerably. I sold a 95 NA to buy this car, and it had been
driven only 3,100 miles per year. Our cars are not representative of
the 993 market. Bruce's valuations might be low, but using our cars
as the touchstone would be even more misleading. Just my opinion.....Cheers.....Chris
Old 03-30-2012, 12:20 AM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

Yup, completely agree!

I wish I still had the one where I submitted my car to the buyers section. He said I over paid, & the "options" were not everyone taste. This was my C4S BTW, 2 owners, 36kmi, perfect shape.

Maybe we should do a write in campaign, letting him know that his HIGH valves are more low values, & he needs to do some research. Hell, even Blue Book changed the vales!
Old 03-30-2012, 12:33 AM
ashirji
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Chris, our cars are indeed the best of the breed. But as an interloper who has just recently purchased a 993, do you not think the Excellence Market Evaluations would throw a prospective buyer off base? It certainly did me. I appreciate the technical info which allowed me to make an intelligent 993 purchase, but the pricing info is not appropriate for well sorted 993s. Hell, you can't even find a 993 ad on autotrader with correct spelling for under 25K. Perhaps the Rennlist transactions can set the tone? I did not wish to discuss what I paid for my 993 prior to this as I thought it was exclusively my business. Now I see it is not and would be happy to discuss with Pete S what I paid for a 95 993 with 27K along with the condition of said subject. Pete please contact me at g50carerra@hotmail.com if you wish.
Old 03-30-2012, 01:32 AM
1pcarnut
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pete, thanks for coming on here and sharing. When my daughter asked me what I wanted for Christmas, I asked for a subscription to Excellence. It had been a couple of years since my last one so it's nice to be getting it again. Keep up the good work. Guys, can we take the name calling down a notch please.
Old 03-30-2012, 02:48 AM
nathan1
Three Wheelin'

Received 403 Likes on 122 Posts

As the Original Poster on this thread I can say I am thoroughly impressed with the overall tone of this thread. I think it achieved my objective which was to raise awareness of an issue which was detrimental to all of us and eroded confidence in what is an otherwise EXCELLENT magazine.

I appreciate everyones feedback and the generally constructive ideas. Pete it truly shows me that you care about what you do and are a true professional that you would draft such a well thought out response. I know our community can handle people a little roughly at times (It's just like a family here...) but you jumped into the fray.

Thanks to all!

Don't forget to come to 993 Fest June 9-10th!
Old 03-30-2012, 02:55 AM
william_b_noble
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ya know, I'd glady trade my 993 convertible for a non-convertible in tolerable condition - I like the 993 but I'm sick and tired of the stupid convertible top and its "features" -maybe those low values aren't all that out of line
Old 03-30-2012, 07:58 AM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 504 Likes on 186 Posts

Pete - a class act as usual, thank you for your hard work!

PS (Just sent a subscription to my father-in-law who got a Cayman as a retirement present for himself)
Old 03-30-2012, 09:26 AM
RudyP
Rennlist Member

Received 1,350 Likes on 509 Posts

Originally Posted by Kein_Ersatz
+3

May I also add that an digital (iPad or Zinio) subscription of the Mag would be a desired option.
May I +1 your +3?

I'd love to have an iPad edition of Excellence. I'm mostly digital and trying to get to 100% - the only holdouts that I get on paper are Excellence, Panorama, Roundel and Cirrus Pilot (a small circulation aviation periodical).
Old 03-30-2012, 09:37 AM
VGM911
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Burdell
There's a lot of stuff going on here: relatively few data points, our admitted non-objectivity with regard to 993's affecting our perception, a certain confirmation bias whenever we see a car trade hands at high prices vs. the low-priced dogs that get swept under the rug, and the simple fact that 993's were only on a traditional depreciation curve for a short period of time immediately after their debut. Post 996, they gained cachet and hence price, and now they seem to be on the cusp of another change: are they '73 RS-esque classics to be, or are they really old cars now? Perhaps the 3.2's are our best guideposts, as they preceded the relatively unloved 964's.

While this is perhaps a defense of Bruce's column, the truth is we have more and better information about these cars than the great unwashed. We can capitalize on this if we choose when buying from the uninitiated. On the sell side, however, best to sell to a fellow aficionado: intellectual arbitrage!

+1
Old 03-30-2012, 11:30 AM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Burdell

Originally Posted by solomonschris
...As to his valuation of 993's, if you accept his assumed mileage of 7-9000 miles per year (still well under the 12-15K national average) then what is a 17 year old C2 with between 119,000 and 153,000 miles worth. I think he is low in his estimates but I also think our cars are very likely the cream of the crop of 993 survivors. After all,there were tens of thousands sold here, but how many are represented on this site. The car sitting in my garage was driven 1,600 miles per year before I bought it! I plan to raise that average considerably. I sold a 95 NA to buy this car, and it had been
driven only 3,100 miles per year. Our cars are not representative of
the 993 market. Bruce's valuations might be low, but using our cars
as the touchstone would be even more misleading. Just my opinion.....Cheers.....Chris
IMHO you guys underestimate our intelligence to say that we derive all our knowledge of 993 values from Rennlist. Folks here are smarter than that. When we want to buy or sell a 993, we look in the same places as the rest of the country - autotrader, cars.com, and ebay (plus rennlist and pelican, of course).

And Chris, your low-mileage 3,100-miles-per-year car probably IS representative of the market! I just checked Autotrader, and of the 38 1995 993's listed in the U.S., they averaged 68,000 miles (median = 62,000). That's just 4,000 miles per year. Surprisingly low.
Old 03-30-2012, 01:05 PM
hoggel
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

I love the magazine!

Cars in the Anderson price range are out there. But the real price variation is too large for the sample size. I think if you were to put 95% confidence bounds on any 'mean' it would show you are likely to pay $20k-$50k for a 993. The other 5% probably go from $15k-$90k. Good decision to go another direction with the mag.

Anecdote:
About two years ago I was shopping for a bottom-of-the-market car. I wanted it for a donor so I was looking for a manual transmission and low price. I intended to use the harness, pedal ***, trans, ... and part out the rest. I used a saved search and notifications on several sites. Most of the cars I saw at the bottom of the range were tips, and high mileage of course. I ended up buying a very nice car with ~180k miles, excellent documentation form new, engine rebuild, and many good mods, for ~$21.5k. The car was so nice that I didn't have the heart to part it out. I swapped my tiptronic into it and sold it with full disclosure for $18k. It sold quickly and went back to Germany.

Quick Reply: Bruce Anderson's Values in Excellence magazine- What a joke!