Sponsored by:

quick help on fan housing

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 10:41 PM
KMASS993
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default quick help on fan housing

Can anyone explain how I get the fan and alternator out of the fan housing? Quick reply would help! Tia
Old 03-26-2012, 10:52 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Kevin, first you have to pull the fan blade. The center bearing likes to get seized up. Two methods, Wheel puller in the center and some pb blaster. It will come slowly. Another technique that works is to remove the bolts on the center hub and go buy some longer ones. You can run them in until they bottom out, then add .5 turn per bolt working your way around the hub. The fan blade will slowly pull away. Don't rush this method and add Pb blaster in to the shaft repeatedly. Once the blade is off you will be able to access the through bolts that hold the alternator into the housing. This will be stubborn too and usually needs some gentle tapping and lubricant. Unless the bearing feels really good, replace it because you put a lot of stress on it when it is seized up.
Old 03-26-2012, 11:53 PM
KMASS993
Rennlist Member

Thanks Bob, it seemed much easier than that from the directions on P-car.com... I will have to buy the puller. Thanks!
Old 03-27-2012, 08:48 AM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Kevin, it all depends on how long it has been on the car. The alternator shaft gets pretty rusty, pitted. The bolt method works well if your patient. The fan blade will creak a bit (like removing a wheel bearing on a press), but as you lube the cleaner surface it starts to break free.
Old 03-27-2012, 10:51 AM
neunneundrei
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kmassed002
Can anyone explain how I get the fan and alternator out of the fan housing? Quick reply would help! Tia
Hey Kevin - are you trying to replace your alternator? Or the fan?
Old 03-27-2012, 02:01 PM
KMASS993
Rennlist Member

I am going to hopefully refinish the alternator housing & fan and replace the alternator itself. Additionally I will be installing a Clewett engineering kit.
Old 03-27-2012, 06:30 PM
neunneundrei
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah - agree with Bob on how to remove the fan etc - have done it before and for something that looks so simple it's really a pita

Just watch if you paint the fan - the tolerances are very tight and you may get rubbing

Trending Topics

Old 03-27-2012, 07:30 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

^^^ If you repaint the fan. Media blast both the housing and the fan blade all the way down. Either powder coat or a good primer and temp paint with clear.
Old 03-27-2012, 08:58 PM
KMASS993
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys, I am working on getting them refinished now.
Old 03-27-2012, 09:19 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 415 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by bobt993
Kevin, first you have to pull the fan blade. The center bearing likes to get seized up. Two methods, Wheel puller in the center and some pb blaster. It will come slowly. Another technique that works is to remove the bolts on the center hub and go buy some longer ones. You can run them in until they bottom out, then add .5 turn per bolt working your way around the hub. The fan blade will slowly pull away. Don't rush this method and add Pb blaster in to the shaft repeatedly. Once the blade is off you will be able to access the through bolts that hold the alternator into the housing. This will be stubborn too and usually needs some gentle tapping and lubricant. Unless the bearing feels really good, replace it because you put a lot of stress on it when it is seized up.
Once the fasteners that hold the black plastic cover in place are removed, the entire assembly (fan & alternator) should slide out of the fan housing - in one piece.

Originally Posted by Kmassed002
Thanks guys, I am working on getting them refinished now.
Answer shortly.

Andreas
Old 03-27-2012, 10:32 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AOW162435
Once the fasteners that hold the black plastic cover in place are removed, the entire assembly (fan & alternator) should slide out of the fan housing - in one piece.

Answer shortly.

Andreas
In theory yes, but the alternator usually is stuck in the housing. A bit more safe and the shroud provides a handle to work with the blade. Removing the alternator from the housing usually requires a tap or two from a soft mallet and I prefer to have the fan blade out of the way. Even if you remove the entire assembly you still have the task of pulling the fan blade from the alternator.

Quick Reply: quick help on fan housing