993 Forum 1995-1998

Decisions decisions....Fister 2 or 3's?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2012, 11:09 AM
CarreraX
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Decisions decisions....Fister 2 or 3's?

Can you guys that already have 3's give me your opinion? Im getting ready to send my mufflers out to Mark and Darin. I have read every thread and heard every soundclip, you tube video etc and am still on the fence which way to go. About 5 years ago I was one of the first to get a set of Darins first mufflers. They sounded perfect. I loved them. Here is a thread from back then:
https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ferrerid=32702

So now, they have the 2's and 3's. My car is basically used for fun as well as weekend family treks. I also often have my 7 and 8y/o daughters in the car. I dont want to make it too loud where they dont enjoy the ride but I also want the car to sound as it should. My question is simple, do those of you with 3's think it would be too loud for my situation? Im also thinking I could just do 3's and if they are too loud it would probably be simple to trade someone for 2's. All of your imput is greatly appreciated!
Old 03-25-2012, 11:14 AM
boulderbobo
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mark, I have had both IIs and IIIs. The IIs sound (no pun intended) about perfect for your situation. The IIIs would be ok, but probably a bit more than you want.

Enjoy!

Bob-
Old 03-25-2012, 11:18 AM
CarreraX
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Thanks Bob! I really want the 3's but my adult side (What little of it there is) says to stay with 2's.
Old 03-25-2012, 11:20 AM
Opo
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 76 Posts

I have III's on 2 of my cars, yesterday a guy at our PCA gathering showed up in his 993 and had just installed his II's , I have always wanted to see how the II's sounded, I have to tell you, I'm glad I bought III's, LOVE THEM
Old 03-25-2012, 11:38 AM
CarreraX
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

See...here is the problem. As soon as I decide on 2's I read a post like Opo's and start second guessing. This brings me back to the situation where I just get 3's and if they are too loud just list them for trade.
Old 03-25-2012, 11:49 AM
Spidey 993

Easy.....3s! You have a coupe C4S, not a cab. Just don't modify your air filter.

Haven't steered you wrong yet.

Time for a Fister flowchart!
Old 03-25-2012, 11:56 AM
CarreraX
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Tony, Tony, Tony.....you have cost me about $45k in the last year! Oh yea, you also havent steered me wrong yet Not sure what you are talking about with the air filter. Mine has motorsound so Im not touching it. As for the filter, still trying to decide KN vs OE?
Old 03-25-2012, 12:05 PM
CamsPorsche
Race Car

Received 428 Likes on 181 Posts

I'm waiting for Darin to ship me my III's and my train of thinking was if its too loud (worst case scenario) then I'd trade with someone.

Better to get the loudest first instead of buying II's and always wondering about the III's.
Old 03-25-2012, 12:26 PM
dcdude
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have 3's and don't even think about it. I'd be surprised if anyone considered my car to be "loud," it's more like how it's supposed to sound. I'm just trying to be clear, so no offense intended to anyone who likes their 2's, but I don't see the point in them.
Old 03-25-2012, 12:29 PM
CarreraX
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Ok, decision made. Stage 3 is cermachrome
Old 03-25-2012, 12:31 PM
doberdog

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

I had III's on my last car but will be going to the II's on the new car. I loved the sound of the III's but I want something a little quieter in the city. The old car would turn heads everywhere it went due to the sound but then again living in the middle of the city the sound reflected off the buildings, where in open spaces it didn't seem as noticeable.
Old 03-25-2012, 12:31 PM
ABCar
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had IIIs and changed to IIs. The IIIs sound INCREDIBLE! The IIs also sound INCREDIBLE!

Seriously, they both sound great. When I sent my IIIs back to Darin I was feeling like a sellout...a whimp...old...until I got the IIs in the mail. They are quite loud on the outside but not offensive. However, when I start my car and when I accelerate, even moderately, people stop and pay attention. With the IIIs, people stop and sometimes look alarmed and a little pissed (the ones that don't get it at least). If I lived in a bubble, IIIs would be it.

If you get IIs you will not be sorry.
Old 03-25-2012, 12:33 PM
ABCar
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by CarreraX
Ok, decision made. Stage 3 is cermachrome
Oops, too late. Well you will love the IIIs too! Report on install please!
Old 03-25-2012, 12:41 PM
CarreraX
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Just because I made a decision doesnt mean I cant change it Ypur comment "With the IIIs, people stop and sometimes look alarmed and a little pissed" is one thing that I have been thinking about. 3's may be a bit louder than I need. As I said earlier....decisions decisions... Now Im on the Stage 2 bandwagon......but it is still early
Old 03-25-2012, 01:15 PM
Spidey 993

But look at that car you have, its stunning!

75 year old lady next door says to me when I pull up to my house. I love that Porsche, but the sounds it makes coming down the road are incredible...

My wife who could give a rats butt about any of this had the biggest smile the first time I started the car with Stage 3s. Not even smirk on my Stage 2s.

However, its a funky thing. I have heard others Stage 2s and they sound amazing. Just know you can't go wrong..period.

The other thought is, if you buy 3s, and think they are too loud, youll quite easily find a Stage 2 RL ready to switch up to 3s out of curiosity.

My thought on the Stage 3s was to not do the Motorsound holes in the airbox cleaner so more sound stays outside the car, versus inside with your daughters.

Have fun!
Tony

Originally Posted by CarreraX
Tony, Tony, Tony.....you have cost me about $45k in the last year! Oh yea, you also havent steered me wrong yet Not sure what you are talking about with the air filter. Mine has motorsound so Im not touching it. As for the filter, still trying to decide KN vs OE?

Quick Reply: Decisions decisions....Fister 2 or 3's?