993 Forum 1995-1998

Decisions decisions....Fister 2 or 3's?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 08:30 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 844 Likes on 554 Posts

Originally Posted by CarreraX
Can you guys that already have 3's give me your opinion? Im getting ready to send my mufflers out to Mark and Darin. I have read every thread and heard every soundclip, you tube video etc and am still on the fence which way to go. About 5 years ago I was one of the first to get a set of Darins first mufflers. They sounded perfect. I loved them. Here is a thread from back then:
https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ferrerid=32702

So now, they have the 2's and 3's. My car is basically used for fun as well as weekend family treks. I also often have my 7 and 8y/o daughters in the car. I dont want to make it too loud where they dont enjoy the ride but I also want the car to sound as it should. My question is simple, do those of you with 3's think it would be too loud for my situation? Im also thinking I could just do 3's and if they are too loud it would probably be simple to trade someone for 2's. All of your imput is greatly appreciated!

I currently have 3s
prior to that I had stock motorsound with LPPM mod, (external tube between inlet and exhaust of muffler)

To my ear the LPPM sounds better when inside the car, more "throaty / gutteral"
but
the 3s sound better outside the car, as i hear when friends that have 3's do AX.

I'm seriously considering going back to LPPM or trying a 3 to 2 swap.

Craig
Old 03-26-2012, 08:37 PM
dcdude
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't buy the "no 3's on long trips" argument. I took my car from L.A. to Monterey in '09, drove it around all weekend and back to L.A. Never "heard" or thought about my exhaust the whole time. It was a non-issue. Just loved the overall experience.
Old 03-26-2012, 08:46 PM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 439 Likes on 276 Posts

+1, dcdude! Stage III's don't drone at steady rpm's. Only when you blip the throttle for a down-shift and get on it, they light up. If you drive aggressively, the Stage III's sound aggressive. If you drive smoothly and sedately, that's the way they sound.
Old 03-26-2012, 09:27 PM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 447 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by NC TRACKRAT
+1, dcdude! Stage III's don't drone at steady rpm's. Only when you blip the throttle for a down-shift and get on it, they light up. If you drive aggressively, the Stage III's sound aggressive. If you drive smoothly and sedately, that's the way they sound.
Well said. Stage III FTW!
Old 03-26-2012, 09:33 PM
CHRIS WU
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just get the 3,and If you really don't like it,have Darin exchange the 2 for you.
Old 03-27-2012, 03:50 AM
H.H.Chinn
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

StageIIIs for this C2S when I can find a few days to make the drive down to their shop!
Old 03-27-2012, 08:19 AM
camlob
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cgfen
I currently have 3s
prior to that I had stock motorsound with LPPM mod, (external tube between inlet and exhaust of muffler)

To my ear the LPPM sounds better when inside the car, more "throaty / gutteral"
but
the 3s sound better outside the car, as i hear when friends that have 3's do AX.

I'm seriously considering going back to LPPM or trying a 3 to 2 swap.

Craig
Interesting honest response. I have fabspeed maxflo's with a LPPM and my brother has said that it sounds superb from the pits. But I dont know if its the ITBs that he is hearing! I am considering 3s but the fact that I have to source stock mufflers and give them to FD is making me think the feasability of it.

I tried making a vid to capture the exhaust note but I got the ITB sound

The first 40 secs is ok the all you hear is the wind noise

Old 03-27-2012, 09:17 AM
mts
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 41 Posts

I had III's and changed to II's. I much prefer the II's, but I have a Targa and get more sound in the cabin than a coupe would. Both sound great, but the III's didn't pass the wife test or the neighbor test.

Quick Reply: Decisions decisions....Fister 2 or 3's?