Maybe a little off topic but this is a bit disappointing

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2012, 01:37 AM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I know there are many on RL who frown on cabs
Never understood that. Admittedly bought my first cab when in Cali. Epic to have one there.
Old 03-11-2012, 03:10 AM
roperin
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Makes me sick, now we have 991's with no handbrake, got the stop/start deal, just effing pitiful

Bob Leslie
Old 03-11-2012, 05:22 AM
CamsPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
What's really sad is that they featured the cup holder twice and devoted less than a second to racing footage. I know cup holders have utility, but to show it in a commercial? Get real Porsche.
But do soccer moms really care about racing??? Haha...

The ad is factual and correct on many levels as to how most of us use our 993's however, they piled on the "crap-o-la marketing cheese" instead of making some of their more legendary commercials.
Old 03-12-2012, 08:07 PM
brucec59
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I like this one, only for the look on the kid's face when his friend's mom rolls up in the speed yellow "school bus."

Old 03-13-2012, 02:31 PM
vincer77
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

There are the commercials that sell us, then there are the commercials that sell our wives. (Not to be sexist or anything).
Old 03-13-2012, 02:36 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by vincer77
There are the commercials that sell us, then there are the commercials that sell our wives. (Not to be sexist or anything).
Bingo! And I think this is the commercial designed to be shown to said wife by the guy who's trying to 'close the deal' ..
Old 03-13-2012, 05:32 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 806 Posts

is there anything you guys won't whine about?

the commercial is fine.

OHMIGAWD they showed a cupholder instead of TEH RACING FOOTAWGE....OH NOES

who cares. This is how most people use their modern 911s.
Old 03-13-2012, 11:45 PM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 176 Likes on 112 Posts

Based on advertising like this

the Harley ad agency, Carmichael Lynch of Minneapolis, won the Porsche account 15 years ago or so. (I believe Carmichael-Lynch created the "Kills Bugs Fast" ads for the 993TT among others)

C-L got it when Fallon-McElligot (also of Minnie) dropped Porsche to pick-up the much larger BMW account. (Fallon had created ads like "As fast as you can go without having to eat airline food" for the 964, as well as the Patrick Stewart 993 launch campaign "Are you listening?")

Fallon McElligot had been awarded PCNA advertising when Chiat-Day of LA dropped PCNA to pick up Nissan. Chiat went on to create classics for Nissan like the Jet chasing the Z car for the superbowl, and the "Dogs love trucks" campaign.

This is probably more than you want to know about the history of PCNA advertising. But the point is when all Porsche was selling was high performance sports cars, their advertising was high concept, edgy and memorable. Now that they have become focused on segmenting the automotive market, their advertising is more pedestrian, and common. (Remember last year when the Pcar school bus ad -- above in brucec59's post --was running, and Goodyear was doing the same word/visual puns idea with Launch Pad and Playground?)

The most stinging thing you can say to an agency creative is "Pardon me, your strategy is showing."
Unfortunately PCNA's strategy is pretty blatant these days.
Old 03-14-2012, 12:39 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
is there anything you guys won't whine about?

the commercial is fine.

OHMIGAWD they showed a cupholder instead of TEH RACING FOOTAWGE....OH NOES

who cares. This is how most people use their modern 911s.
Clearly, you're a contrarian troll who has no understanding of excellent and compelling advertising. If the board loved this ad campaign, you'd be railing against it just to go against the grain. God forbid Porsche were to personify or use the "emotion" aspect in their advertising regarding their awesome cupholders, but, if they did, you'd be 100% okay with it, right?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superiority_complex

"We should not be astonished if in the cases where we see an inferiority [feeling] complex we find a superiority complex more or less hidden. On the other hand, if we inquire into a superiority complex and study its continuity, we can always find a more or less hidden inferiority [feeling] complex."[2]

"If a person is a show-off it is only because he feels inferior, because he does not feel strong enough to compete with others on the useful side of life. That is why he stays on the useless side. He is not in harmony with society. It seems to be a trait of human nature that when individuals - both children and adults - feel weak, they want to solve the problems of life in such a way as to obtain personal superiority without any admixture of social interest. A superiority complex is a second phase. It is a compensation for the inferiority [feeling] complex."[3]

"The superiority complex is one of the ways which a person with an inferiority [feeling] complex may use as a method of escape from his difficulties. He assumes that he is superior when he is not, and this false success compensates him for the state of inferiority which he cannot bear. The normal person does not have a superiority complex, he does not even have a sense of superiority. He has the striving to be superior in the sense that we all have ambition to be successful; but so long as this striving is expressed in work it does not lead to false valuations, which are at the root of mental disease."[4]

Last edited by Mark in Baltimore; 03-14-2012 at 01:07 AM.
Old 03-14-2012, 09:58 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
Clearly, you're a contrarian troll who has no understanding of excellent and compelling advertising. If the board loved this ad campaign, you'd be railing against it just to go against the grain. God forbid Porsche were to personify or use the "emotion" aspect in their advertising regarding their awesome cupholders, but, if they did, you'd be 100% okay with it, right?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superiority_complex
oh god, you again.

This ad is compelling..to the modern 911 buyer. For the most part, in the past 15 years, the average new 911 buyer has cared about racing heritage as much as you have about cupholders. Sure, maybe he can tell others at cocktail parties that porsche used to dominate sports car racing, and then the topic will transition to modern art, the spinach dip, and whose diddling whom.

Since you are clearly the master of understanding advertising, please share what is so great about the "are you listening" ad? Not only is it boring, but its only appeal is to nerds who spend time "getting down on the ground to look at their very special looking suspension". More personifying cars. Listen to your heart, and build a freaking car? How about listen to your heart and volunteer helping wounded veterans or something.

These productions are PROPAGANDA folks. These ad agencies know what they're doing. Porsche builds a product for you to buy so that they can make money. They don't care about you.

I don't care if they mention cupholders or navigation screens or power sunshades or whatever. I think its a good ad for the modern 911 buyer. Porsche is not trying to appeal to you, so mission accomplished.

There is nothing lame about the 991 ad.
Old 03-14-2012, 01:38 PM
vincer77
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Sure, maybe he can tell others at cocktail parties that porsche used to dominate sports car racing, and then the topic will transition to modern art, the spinach dip, and whose diddling whom. .
Used to?!

Since you are clearly the master of understanding advertising, please share what is so great about the "are you listening" ad? Not only is it boring, but its only appeal is to nerds who spend time "getting down on the ground to look at their very special looking suspension". More personifying cars. Listen to your heart, and build a freaking car? How about listen to your heart and volunteer helping wounded veterans or something. .
I showed that ad to a friend of mine who is not a car enthusiast and he was moved by it. It does stir something inside - and if it doesn't in you, I feel sorry for you.

These productions are PROPAGANDA folks. These ad agencies know what they're doing. Porsche builds a product for you to buy so that they can make money. .
No S&^t Sherlock. Of course they are trying to sell us something. They care enough for us that they want to supply us with a good product that is high quality and that we will enjoy. Is there profit motivation - sure. Otherwise we might get a Lada.

I don't care if they mention cupholders or navigation screens or power sunshades or whatever. I think its a good ad for the modern 911 buyer. Porsche is not trying to appeal to you, so mission accomplished.

There is nothing lame about the 991 ad.
Wow, something I agree with.
Old 03-14-2012, 02:26 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 98 Posts

I like how the new Porsche 991's actually have a feature that pipes engine sound into the cabin.

Somewhere old Dr. Porsche is spinning in his grave.
Old 03-14-2012, 02:44 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Originally Posted by vincer77
Used to?!

I showed that ad to a friend of mine who is not a car enthusiast and he was moved by it. It does stir something inside - and if it doesn't in you, I feel sorry for you.

No S&^t Sherlock. Of course they are trying to sell us something. They care enough for us that they want to supply us with a good product that is high quality and that we will enjoy. Is there profit motivation - sure. Otherwise we might get a Lada.

Wow, something I agree with.
yes, used to. Porsche's factory racing efforts have fallen way off.

Don't feel sorry for me. I don't get emotional about pieces of steel, plastic, and rubber. There is nothing inspirational or evocative about "are you listening". just marketing fluff.

No, they care only about your enjoyment to the point that you will buy another. Porsche doesn't care if the car is emotionally fulfilling, they want you to be just happy enough to buy another. Profit is the ONLY motivation.

Originally Posted by goofballdeluxe
I like how the new Porsche 991's actually have a feature that pipes engine sound into the cabin.

Somewhere old Dr. Porsche is spinning in his grave.
why? Its incredibly smart.

You get additional engine sound inside the car when you want it, and not when you don't. They don't run into any sound regulation issues and the enthusiast sound if they feel like it.

I couldn't care less if my car was loud on the outside or not. In fact, If I could have a car super quiet to the outside, but enjoyably loud on the inside I'd jump at the chance. Then again, I also don't like a 12 year old and go revving constantly to get attention like some, so perhaps that doesn't go for all of you.
Old 03-14-2012, 02:50 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 98 Posts

You get additional engine sound inside the car when you want it, and not when you don't.
Yes, my 993 has this feature as well. It's called a window
Old 03-14-2012, 02:59 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Originally Posted by goofballdeluxe
Yes, my 993 has this feature as well. It's called a window
yes, but why would you want to ruffle your gorgeous LA hairdoo with an open window when you can use your engine-sound-maker-louder device?

Quick Reply: Maybe a little off topic but this is a bit disappointing