Sponsored by:

Immobiliser light

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 03:35 AM
Jon93
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Immobiliser light

Yesterday and today the immobiliser light flashed on and off for approx one minute after starting the engine. Everything appeared to be working fine. Is this a fault? Any one any ideas? Ta
Old 03-07-2012, 03:43 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 68 Likes on 57 Posts

Unfortunately, to read the fault codes on the alarm unit , you need a Hammer or PST2. Sounds like a fault of some kind.
Old 03-07-2012, 07:39 AM
EckFe1
Pro

Received 45 Likes on 24 Posts

Had that happen to me once before too. Battery had barely enough to get the car started. Immo light started flashing. I turned the car off, started it again with a second external battery hooked up and the light didn't come back. No side effects afterwards. Had to buy a new car battery anyways but it seems that the momentary low voltage or weak charging might have caused it to flash.
Just a guess though.
Ed
Old 03-07-2012, 02:12 PM
911Dave
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike J
Unfortunately, to read the fault codes on the alarm unit , you need a Hammer or PST2. Sounds like a fault of some kind.
My alarm fault codes showed up for me using my Durametric. Won't they show up using any code reader?
Old 03-07-2012, 02:20 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

Every once in a while, maybe 2 times a year, if that. I see the same thing. I just cycle the alarm, and it goes away for another 8-9 months.

I think the circuitry hiccups now and then.

If it registers a code, then a Hammer can pull it, I don't think my Actron can get to it, since it will not trigger a CEL.

I was told that an alarm code will be stored if someone tries to start the car before the immobilizer has been disabled. Nothing to worry about.
Old 03-07-2012, 02:22 PM
993/907
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kika
Every once in a while, maybe 2 times a year, if that. I see the same thing. I just cycle the alarm, and it goes away for another 8-9 months.

I think the circuitry hiccups now and then.

If it registers a code, then a Hammer can pull it, I don't think my Actron can get to it, since it will not trigger a CEL.

I was told that an alarm code will be stored if someone tries to start the car before the immobilizer has been disabled. Nothing to worry about.
Mine does exactly the same thing; embrace the quirks.
Gordo
Old 03-07-2012, 08:02 PM
Jon93
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Update

Today turned the ignition, heard an unpleasant noise ( sounded like coming from under dash but not sure, it only lasted perhaps 0.5secs. Car started ok otherwise, but then I noticed the trip computer wasn't working (blank screen) for the rest of the journey. When I arrived at work, I turned off engine, then restarted: everything seems to be working normally again.
Old 03-07-2012, 08:31 PM
993/907
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had continuing odd problems caused by the immobilzer; car would sometimes not lock, sometimes one of the turn signals would stay on (either the left or the right). Always started okay, but the problems became more frequent.
After trial and error diagnosis, turned out to be the ignition keyway....became so worn that the car did not know if the key was in the ignition or had been removed.
Gordo
Old 03-07-2012, 10:33 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

One more thing,....

These cars are VERY sensitive about system voltages so its prudent to check some things when one has some electrical issues. I'd recommend checking alternator outputs (at 2K RPM) to ensure the voltage regulator is OK, as well as battery and engine grounds.

Quick Reply: Immobiliser light