993 Forum 1995-1998

Battery Cut Off Switch

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 01:07 PM
jef3380
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery Cut Off Switch

Is it a good idea to install a Battery Cut Off Switch on a 993 and disconnect the Battery in between usage?
Old 03-05-2012, 01:17 PM
CHRIS WU
Racer

Once you disconect the battary All your drive readyness will be wipe out.....Just get a battery tender so the battary stay full charge between use,this way,you will almost double the battary life.
Old 03-05-2012, 02:03 PM
cmat
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You will also have to enter your radio code each time you disconnect the battery. Leave your battery connected and go with a tender.
Old 03-05-2012, 02:17 PM
jef3380
Intermediate

I rent a garage that does not have electrical outlet. I remember that on a previous 993 I owned, the only problem was the loss of the Radio Code. If the car is driven often enough, the only thing required would be to remove the battery for Winter Charging and re-install the battery in the Spring.
Old 03-05-2012, 04:31 PM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Received 340 Likes on 238 Posts

Jef,

If that garage is your only choice for spring, summer and fall driving, then the cutoff switch is the only option. Your 993 can sit for as long as two weeks with the electrical bus hot and not have to worry about a no start - that assumes you have a strong battery to begin with.

If it's going to sit more than two weeks you should pull use the disconnect switch. As an FYI, I've disconnected the battery many times in the ten years I've owned my car and never noticed any drive problems as a result.

Good luck.... maybe you can find a nice neighhbor and buy a long extension cord!
Old 03-06-2012, 07:35 AM
SwissCarrera
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any reccomendations as to which cut off switch to buy ?
Old 03-06-2012, 11:15 AM
element
Pro

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

your idle will also need to re-learn, so don't worry when it stalls coming down to idle when you first drive it.

phil.
Old 03-06-2012, 11:53 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 523 Likes on 346 Posts
Default You may lose your...

OBD II readiness codes. Then you will have to do a prescribed drive cycle to have the ECU reset itself.

I have had several battery problems lately resulting in a dead battery. All 5 of my readiness codes need resetting. I have done four (4) drive cycles and not one has re-set.

In both cases, for one reason or another, I did not have my battery tender connected, the car was in a shop, etc.
Old 03-06-2012, 10:27 PM
2Many Cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Depending upon where you live the readiness codes may or may not be an issue. If you live where the smog regs don't require a regular OBD II system check the rediness codes will be of little importance to you. If you're in a state like CA where you need to smog the car every other year and they check the codes then the codes will be an issue, but only when you go in for a smog test. The codes can be reset but it either costs some $$ (the dealer or a good wrench does it) or you'll need to fuss with it yourself by strictly following a driving routine. Either way it sounds like you won't have much choice as a fully dead battery will kill the codes too.

To answer your question I've used a simple quick disconnect that can be bought at any number of McParts or catalogue sources. They're simple, easy to install right on the battery post, and since this sounds like a seasonal thing I don't think you'll need much more than that.
Old 03-06-2012, 10:48 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 523 Likes on 346 Posts
Smile 2 Many Cars...

is right on the money. I am in Cali...had several dead batteries in sequence...my reediness codes are all turned off. I have done numerous drive cycles, still no reset. Big pain in the butt.

My guys can force 2 of the 5 or 6 codes...you need 3 codes on, as a minimum, to pass.
Old 03-07-2012, 01:28 PM
jnoble79
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by element
your idle will also need to re-learn, so don't worry when it stalls coming down to idle when you first drive it.

phil.

---Good to know about the idle. I was wondering why that was suddenly occurring. And now that I think about it, only occurs after using the disconnect. And corrects itself after about 3-4 minutes.

re: type of disconnect. I purchased one from Pelican. PEL-GE-BCOS-01

Quick Reply: Battery Cut Off Switch