Sponsored by:

944 S2 on the way

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2012, 08:49 AM
ABCar
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 944 S2 on the way

I have been looking for a quite a while for a good daily driver in an effort to keep the mileage and wear down on my 993. I have always loved the 944 and after a lot of searching and missed opportunites finally found a very nice 89 944S2 with 61k miles.

After owning a 996 tt I decided that I did not want a turbo but a NA car with plenty of torque. The S2 has all the good looks and upgrades of the last 944 turbos but with a 3.0 litre...the biggest 4C in a production car at that time.

This was a car I wanted in my 20s and the appeal has remained. After a thorough PPI by Chris Musante in CT the report was as I hoped...near perfect except for some needed maintanence (motor mounts, heater flap, shocks, sunroof issue, and other misc stuff we Porsche owners know and expect). The leak down was perfect too.

So, here goes, another journey. Although I wanted this car for a dd that I would not care about as much as my 993 I suspect that I will be very proud to own and drive this car. I will no doubt put the time and energy into making it a Posrshce that is nicely set up for driving and enjoying to the fullest. Very excited for sure!

Here are a couple of seller's picts...will post proper pictures when it arrives.
Attached Images   
Old 03-04-2012, 09:54 AM
LimeyBoy
Rennlist Member

Received 208 Likes on 124 Posts

Nice. I feel the need for a 944 every now and then. From the photos and description it looks in very good condition and almost too nice to be a DD through winter - but life is too short and you'll have a sweet DD - enjoy it.
Old 03-04-2012, 10:12 AM
swmic

Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts

Looks very clean! Should make a nice stable mate with the 993.

I have a 95 968 cab that shares the garage with the 993. Looking forward to the warmer weather so I can put the top down.
Old 03-04-2012, 10:25 AM
ABCar
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LimeyBoy
Nice. I feel the need for a 944 every now and then. From the photos and description it looks in very good condition and almost too nice to be a DD through winter - but life is too short and you'll have a sweet DD - enjoy it.
"Good Intentions"...I am keeping our other cars intact and unsold...because I probably won't be able to dip it in the salt. The car was not much more or less than the cost of the upgrades I have done on my 993 so having it as an additional car (salted or unsalted) won't be of great consequence. I will see next November if I feel the need to store it or just drive it. What part of Michigan are you in?
Old 03-04-2012, 10:30 AM
Falcondrivr
Race Car

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

The 944 is incredibly balanced. I was instructing in one last weekend and was blown away by how well they go around corners.
Old 03-04-2012, 11:17 AM
LimeyBoy
Rennlist Member

Received 208 Likes on 124 Posts

I am in south Ypsilanti
Old 03-04-2012, 11:18 AM
Nurburger
Rennlist Member

Received 661 Likes on 276 Posts

Looks very nice Andy. Is that an aftermarket exhaust?

Originally Posted by Falcondrivr
The 944 is incredibly balanced. I was instructing in one last weekend and was blown away by how well they go around corners.
The rear transaxle does provide an incredible balance & with a few simple suspension upgrades, they handle as well as anything else I've driven.

The driving position and outward visibility is also superb.

Trending Topics

Old 03-04-2012, 11:31 AM
ofd
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love the 944 S2. It was my first P car and loved every second it was mine.
These and the 968 were and still are one of the best handling cars Porsche ever built.
Only the marketing people keep the power out so it would not be able to eat the 911. Same today with the Cayman.
I'd say put some snows on it and have a real fun winter
Old 03-04-2012, 04:03 PM
slickster85
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good luck Andy! Car looked great, glad is passed the PPI.
Old 03-04-2012, 04:30 PM
SeattleAllroad
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice find. I'm a big fan of the 944S2. And, as mentioned earlier in this thread as a platform the 944 is a very well balanced car. Good examples are getting harder and harder to find.
Old 03-04-2012, 05:12 PM
ABCar
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by slickster85
Good luck Andy! Car looked great, glad is passed the PPI.
Greg, thank you SO MUCH for going to check out the car for me...The mechanic addressed some of the issues you noted and still assured me of a good car. If you ever need a hand let me know...I will be there. I will send you pictures and a report.
Originally Posted by SeattleAllroad
Nice find. I'm a big fan of the 944S2. And, as mentioned earlier in this thread as a platform the 944 is a very well balanced car. Good examples are getting harder and harder to find.
Agreed. Hey did you ever get your hardbacks painted and put back together?
Old 03-04-2012, 05:18 PM
ABCar
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LimeyBoy
I am in south Ypsilanti
Kalamazoo...maybe Ill see you at one of the events this year. Also, I am planning on going to Porsche 2 Oxford in Ohio (late July). It would be fun to get some guys together and head down there with our cars.

Originally Posted by Nurburger
Looks very nice Andy. Is that an aftermarket exhaust?

The driving position and outward visibility is also superb.
Nick, It is supposedly stock...the PPI indicated no mods. (I get to slide down my own slope, again!)

The rear transaxle does provide an incredible balance & with a few simple suspension upgrades, they handle as well as anything else I've driven.
I will be contacting you about upgrades when the time comes.
Old 03-04-2012, 06:47 PM
JimGinKC
Rennlist Member

congrats! I have a S2 cab that's my daily driver, and its a fantastic car. I'm sure you'll enjoy commuting in yours.
Old 03-04-2012, 06:55 PM
tkrtape12
Three Wheelin'

I drove an S2 for about 2 months while my turbo was having new turbo put on and what a difference I really liked it completely diferent mannerisms from my turbo.. A delight to drive, best part is my best friend ending up buying it so hopefully this summer I'll have the best of both worlds.... Really nice find congrats
Old 03-04-2012, 09:57 PM
SeattleAllroad
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I didn't get my seatback project completed. Got busy with new job, house hunting and potentially selling the 993 to get a GT3.

Quick Reply: 944 S2 on the way