Sponsored by:

These are neat "jack" stands!

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 01:02 AM
jpoint
Burning Brakes

Received 357 Likes on 218 Posts

Originally Posted by IXLR8
What are they made from; stamped steel, stamped aluminum or cast aluminum?
They are cast with Almag 535 - an aluminum and magnesium alloy.
RL price is $279 plus shipping.

Last edited by jpoint; 03-05-2012 at 03:11 PM.
Old 03-05-2012, 09:46 AM
zechunique
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Complements on the design! I have imagined that in my mind, but never took it any further. I salute your accomplishment!

Have you done any experiments loading them up to failure, to verify weight capacity, etc.?

I really like the design and the simplicity of use. Great work!
Old 03-05-2012, 11:55 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 697 Likes on 482 Posts

Originally Posted by zechunique
Complements on the design!
+1...very smart, but at $279 a pair, still far too pricey in my opinion. As for comparing them to the ESCO price-wise...well the ESCO is a $30 stand in my opinion, considering the construction.

Have you done any experiments loading them up to failure, to verify weight capacity, etc.?
Out of curiosity, I too would like to know. Depending on the type of casting, some types would worry me.
Old 03-05-2012, 12:03 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

Complements on the design! I have imagined that in my mind, but never took it any further. I salute your accomplishment!

If the Flying Lizard team is using them, they should be fine for our cars. Tools really go through the ringer on race teams.

Originally Posted by jpoint
They are cast with Almag 535 - an aluminum and magnesium allow.
RL price is $279 plus shipping.
For all 4? If so, how do we order?
Old 03-05-2012, 12:07 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 697 Likes on 482 Posts

Originally Posted by Stealth 993
For all 4? If so, how do we order?
That would be reasonable, but I doubt it is for all 4.
Old 03-05-2012, 02:55 PM
jpoint
Burning Brakes

Received 357 Likes on 218 Posts

They have not been crushed, but they have been tested. One was tested in Kansas City by a very large jack and jack stand manufacturer/importer at 6000 lbs. I don't know the equipment they used - but they detected no deflection at 6000 lbs. Another was tested at Packer Engineering. Their equipment measures deflection as small as 4000 units per inch (deflection is change that reverts back to original dimension when the load is released vs. deformation - which would be a permenant bend or change in shape). At 10,100 lbs. they measured .098" total deflection (just under 1/10th of an inch) and NO deformation or bending.

In each case the load was applied to a single jack stand using the standard pad. I rate them at 4000 lbs. because I want margin of error for any change from one stand to the next. They are made one at a time and finished by hand. For what its worth - industry standard for jack stands is they are rated in pairs - so a 2 ton pair of stands is rated for that weight on the pair. ANSI standard requires an individual stand in the pair support 1.5 times the total rated load. Worth a look when you're shopping for stands that have no ANSI rating. NEVER overload a jack stand - not even these.

Sorry - but $279 is the pair price. I can make all kinds of arguments about how that is not that much money when you consider damage to your car or person from a jack stand slip (apparently 90+ % of jack stand "failures" are the result of the car slipping off the stand - not the stand actually coming apart). I can also talk about it in terms of the cost of brake pads burned up in two days at the track or a single Hoosier which also has a short life. In the end - I know its hard to consider that kind of money for something that sells for $30/pair. This is a new product that solves a problem for some and works well when you're away from a smooth cement floor (some of the design is aimed at addressing the issues of jacking on a paddock road where floor jacks don't always want to roll and relocate as the car is lifted).

Either way - thanks for the interest and the comments good or bad.

BTW - I am not aware that the Flying Lizard Team is using these stands or has even heard of them. If they are interested or curious - that would be great - and I'd welcome the inquiry. But I don't want anyone to be mislead and I certainly don't want to make any claims that are not accurate regarding use or endorsement. To my knowledge Flying Lizard is not using JackPoint Jackstands.
Thanks

Last edited by jpoint; 03-05-2012 at 03:15 PM.

Quick Reply: These are neat "jack" stands!