Sponsored by:

Help Please! Parasitic Battery Drain

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 09:40 PM
FLYT993
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 59 Posts
Default Help Please! Parasitic Battery Drain

wondering if the board can recommend a shop in the LA/SoCal area to troubleshoot a battery that dies within a day or two. Already researched the issue here, cycled the door locks, windows, check dome lights, hood, engine lid...and even had Robin pull the CCU and the battery still drains to zero within a day. i'm tired of disconnecting the negative cable every time i take her out and put her away. can anyone recommend a good shop (relatively close to Pasadena) that won't charge $150/hr for 6 hours of troubleshooting before the eff'ing culprit is located ? thanks in advance.
Old 02-28-2012, 10:12 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 680 Likes on 474 Posts

Originally Posted by FLYT993
Can anyone recommend a good shop that won't charge $150/hr for 6 hours of troubleshooting before the eff'ing culprit is located ?
Anybody that knows what they are doing should be able to pinpoint the issue within fifteen minutes, that is if they know how to trouble shoot instead of replace parts till the problem goes away.

Last edited by IXLR8; 02-29-2012 at 03:28 PM.
Old 02-28-2012, 10:36 PM
mongrelcat
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had a situation like this and the shop (reknown in the area) found it very quickly, but they also commented that in some cases a resolution for such issues could take hours or even days of troubleshooting.
Old 02-28-2012, 10:57 PM
FLYT993
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by IXLR8
Anybody that knows what they are doing should be able to pinpoint the issue within fifteen minutes, that is if they know how to trouble shoot instead or replace parts till the problem goes away.
well said, my sentiments exactly. hopefully someone relatively local can chime in with a "rennlist" referral, those are worth their weight in gold.
Old 02-28-2012, 11:38 PM
shadow993
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Ok ...just an idea. Mine will drain if I have the dome light in anything, but off.

If it is on the door...it will not be on, but will drain my battery.

Just a thought.
Old 02-28-2012, 11:54 PM
keithgreer
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Which part of So Cal do you live? There are a few down in Orange County.
Old 02-29-2012, 12:02 AM
FLYT993
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by keithgreer
Which part of So Cal do you live? There are a few down in Orange County.
keith, OC is close, i live in the inland empire. thanks.
Old 02-29-2012, 12:05 AM
keithgreer
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

I live in Laguna Beach. I work with an Indy named Frank's Motor Cars. Their hourly rate is much more reasonable. They have a Porsche expert there that was at Newport Porsche for a long time. I bet they could diagnose it. You might call Dario (the manager) and mention my name (Keith Greer) and talk to him on the phone about it before you drive out. His number is 949-494-9420.
Old 02-29-2012, 12:23 AM
FLYT993
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by keithgreer
I live in Laguna Beach. I work with an Indy named Frank's Motor Cars. Their hourly rate is much more reasonable. They have a Porsche expert there that was at Newport Porsche for a long time. I bet they could diagnose it. You might call Dario (the manager) and mention my name (Keith Greer) and talk to him on the phone about it before you drive out. His number is 949-494-9420.
keith, thanks for the help i have to quote chris w. here... "is this a great place or what?"
Old 02-29-2012, 09:38 AM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 415 Likes on 233 Posts

What is your alternator's output?

Andreas
Old 02-29-2012, 09:59 AM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Received 340 Likes on 238 Posts

Dan,

If I remember correctly from my testing the current draw for a static car is about 60 ma. That was with all dome, engine and trunk lights off, ignition off and Driveblock set. Just as if you were parking the car locked up in your driveway.

If you can test this yourself and are in the ballpark for current draw, you may want to look at the battery or alternator as Andreas suggested. Your post didn't say if you have already eliminated these possibilities.

If you've got a fully charged and healthy battery that is a lot of current draw to go dead in a day or two. But if you've got Robin on the job you've probably eliminated the battery and alternator - no one knows more about the 993.
Old 02-29-2012, 03:00 PM
FLYT993
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AOW162435
What is your alternator's output?

Andreas
andreas, it checks above 13.5V (my meter isn't that sophisticated, it shows the values in "ranges") after i shut it down. 6-8 hours later the meter shows 7.5V and flashes a yellow" indicator saying it's low. exasperating...thanks!
Old 02-29-2012, 03:13 PM
FLYT993
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mike cap
Dan,

If I remember correctly from my testing the current draw for a static car is about 60 ma. That was with all dome, engine and trunk lights off, ignition off and Driveblock set. Just as if you were parking the car locked up in your driveway.

If you can test this yourself and are in the ballpark for current draw, you may want to look at the battery or alternator as Andreas suggested. Your post didn't say if you have already eliminated these possibilities.

If you've got a fully charged and healthy battery that is a lot of current draw to go dead in a day or two. But if you've got Robin on the job you've probably eliminated the battery and alternator - no one knows more about the 993.
mike, the battery and the alternator were the first things i eliminated. i installed a new battery and it was drained of all life the next day, which clued me into that fact that i have something more ominous going on. i had the alternator checked too and it's fine. and that is where the battle began...in terms of me cycling door locks, windows, hood and engine lid lights, i pulled the fuse for the dome lights to eliminate them. moreover, i thought for sure it was the CCU based on other RL member's comments; robin helped me remove it, and i was going to send out, but just wanted to verify that IT was the demon i've been searching for. no luck. it's sitting on my back seat and the battery is still cycling to zero in less than two days. the car used to be able to sit at least a week before it would die...so the last couple of months have been exasperating.

i'm not a DIY, neither the knowledge nor the tools, so i'm trying to leverage the collective (immense) wisdom and good will of our 993 community. thanks for your help.

--dan
Old 02-29-2012, 03:24 PM
techman1
Burning Brakes

Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

Strange thought:
Never considered a thermal scanner. After the car has been sitting, draining the battery, do you think one of those thermal scanners (the fancy one with the imaging) would show a warm spot?

Another thought is use the cheap harbor freight IR scanner, and see if you could find any fuses or relays warmer than the others? It is pretty sensitive, and that big a drain should show up warm.
Old 02-29-2012, 03:25 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 680 Likes on 474 Posts

my meter isn't that sophisticated
Get yourself a digital multimeter and be done with the guessing. You can get this one at Walmart for $12. I keep one in my roadside repair kit.

I'm not a DIY.
Dan, find a local RLer that knows what they are doing. They can do some simple tests in a matter of minutes.

Although unlikely, just because you installed a new battery does not mean it can't be a dud. With the engine running, your battery voltage should be 14.0 to 14.4V, provided the battery is health and fully charged. An on-board voltmeter is a handy device.

Quick Reply: Help Please! Parasitic Battery Drain