Sponsored by:

Help Please! Parasitic Battery Drain

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 06:11 PM
BobbyT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

Precision Motion, 2805 Chicago Ave., Riverside, CA 92507 (951) 784-0425, is a good independent Porsche shop. Ask for Donny Kravig, the owner.
Old 02-29-2012, 06:16 PM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 458 Likes on 286 Posts

Alex is right...Just get a DMM. Disconnect the neg. battery terminal and connect one of the DMM's leads to the Neg. lead and the other to the Neg. battery terminal. You now have the DMM in series. Allow the DMM to be outside the trunk, then close the trunk on the leads and wait for the trunk light to go out after supposedly 15 sec. If your current draw is more than 35-50 milliamps, something's not shutting off. Open the fuse box near the passenger side cowl and start pulling fuses one at a time in a logical manner, closing the trunk each time. If that fuse doesn't eliminate the drain, replace it and go to the next one. Keep this up until you find the one that stops the drain. Now you have a general idea where to look for a solution. I'm betting on a) a sound system amp that's not shutting down or b) the microswitch under the trunk latch needs adjusting or replacement.
Old 02-29-2012, 07:03 PM
FLYT993
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by IXLR8
Get yourself a digital multimeter and be done with the guessing. You can get this one at Walmart for $12. I keep one in my roadside repair kit.

Dan, find a local RLer that knows what they are doing. They can do some simple tests in a matter of minutes.

Although unlikely, just because you installed a new battery does not mean it can't be a dud. With the engine running, your battery voltage should be 14.0 to 14.4V, provided the battery is health and fully charged. An on-board voltmeter is a handy device.
alex, thanks. i'll be stopping by Walmart on the way home this evening

Originally Posted by NC TRACKRAT
Alex is right...Just get a DMM. Disconnect the neg. battery terminal and connect one of the DMM's leads to the Neg. lead and the other to the Neg. battery terminal. You now have the DMM in series. Allow the DMM to be outside the trunk, then close the trunk on the leads and wait for the trunk light to go out after supposedly 15 sec. If your current draw is more than 35-50 milliamps, something's not shutting off. Open the fuse box near the passenger side cowl and start pulling fuses one at a time in a logical manner, closing the trunk each time. If that fuse doesn't eliminate the drain, replace it and go to the next one. Keep this up until you find the one that stops the drain. Now you have a general idea where to look for a solution. I'm betting on a) a sound system amp that's not shutting down or b) the microswitch under the trunk latch needs adjusting or replacement.
thanks for the advice! will give this a try.
Old 02-29-2012, 07:07 PM
FLYT993
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BobbyT
Precision Motion, 2805 Chicago Ave., Riverside, CA 92507 (951) 784-0425, is a good independent Porsche shop. Ask for Donny Kravig, the owner.

thanks bobbyT, having these alternatives in my back pocket will be great if the other suggestions don't work out.
Old 02-29-2012, 07:23 PM
NP993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Do what NC Trackrat says -- it's really, really easy. And there's basically no way to damage your car if you screw it up, unlike many other jobs.
Old 02-29-2012, 09:52 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 680 Likes on 474 Posts

Originally Posted by FLYT993
thanks for the advice! will give this a try.
Dan, since you're not a DIYer, just a couple of tips.

To measure current, the red lead plugs into DC 10A (left) and the black lead plugs into COM (center).

Since you do not know how much the current drain is, set the rotary selector to DC 10A. You start high so as not to blow a fuse. If the reading is less than 0.2A, then you can switch the selector to 200 mA (you also need to plug the red lead into V Ω mA (right).

The above applies to the meter I pictured. Note, the 10A setting does not have a fuse, but it is limited...see note on meter.

Ask if you are in doubt.
Old 03-01-2012, 11:45 AM
Lorenfb
Race Car

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts

"Disconnect the neg. battery terminal and connect one of the DMM's leads to the Neg."

Ideally the best way to measure a draw, especially on cars with a lot of
electronics, is to:

1. Connect one of the meter leads to the chassis ground. With a digital
meter it doesn't matter which one.
2. Loosen the negative lead while still allowing it to make connection
to the battery post.
3. Place the other meter lead on the center of the negative post.
4. Now carefully remove the negative battery cable from the post.
The meter will now 'carry' and measure the draw current.

This method will prevent a surge current from damaging the meter and
not cause some electronics to draw their normal operating current
after application of the battery voltage and prior to their 'sleep' mode,
i.e. 'off' state.
Old 03-01-2012, 09:14 PM
FLYT993
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by IXLR8
Dan, since you're not a DIYer, just a couple of tips.

To measure current, the red lead plugs into DC 10A (left) and the black lead plugs into COM (center).

Since you do not know how much the current drain is, set the rotary selector to DC 10A. You start high so as not to blow a fuse. If the reading is less than 0.2A, then you can switch the selector to 200 mA (you also need to plug the red lead into V Ω mA (right).

The above applies to the meter I pictured. Note, the 10A setting does not have a fuse, but it is limited...see note on meter.

Ask if you are in doubt.
Originally Posted by Lorenfb
"Disconnect the neg. battery terminal and connect one of the DMM's leads to the Neg."

Ideally the best way to measure a draw, especially on cars with a lot of
electronics, is to:

1. Connect one of the meter leads to the chassis ground. With a digital
meter it doesn't matter which one.
2. Loosen the negative lead while still allowing it to make connection
to the battery post.
3. Place the other meter lead on the center of the negative post.
4. Now carefully remove the negative battery cable from the post.
The meter will now 'carry' and measure the draw current.

This method will prevent a surge current from damaging the meter and
not cause some electronics to draw their normal operating current
after application of the battery voltage and prior to their 'sleep' mode,
i.e. 'off' state.
alex, loren, you guys and this board are great and i really appreciate the help, because i bought the DMM yesterday and promptly freaked out. i hit robin and told him the damn thing looks like something off the space shuttle to me, and i have no idea how to use it, so he's agreed to "school" me over the weekend. i'll report back what we find. really appreciate the support and help from everyone who's given me some pointers. if you own a porsche, this community is indispensable.

Quick Reply: Help Please! Parasitic Battery Drain