Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Shocked by recent 996 pricing

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2012, 11:54 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

996 turbos are an absolute bargain for the engine/performance you get... have been enough to tempt some of us 993 types lately... i know because i have received PMs from the silent supporters
Old 03-04-2012, 12:15 AM
Ish993
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[quote=parsonii;9329042]why are you being a hater dan? the front view of this car looks great

"Oh, this is the worst looking porsche (hat) I ever saw! You buy a porsche (hat) like this, I'll bet you get a free bowl of soup, huh? Oh, it looks good on you, though."

Sorry, but I just can't love those lights and the flattening of the body curves. I bet if someone designed a conversion / mod kit to replace the lights it would be a big seller
Old 03-04-2012, 12:34 AM
number9ine
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

The reality is that there are many more examples of the 996 on the market than the 993. I personally like the 996, give me a mk1 aerokit car and I'll be a happy camper. The turbo's not my style, but lots of raves for the 996 GT3 as well. And fer chrissakes, they're just HEADLAMPS. The later Turbo-style headlamps are a little more derivative, but the GT1-style units through 2001 are nice. Shame that so many cried "but it looks like a Boxster." Who gives a ****? A Boxster looks pretty nice to me.

Yes, your 993s are nice. So's my 997 C2S. So's my wife's Boxster. So was my Boxster S. So's my friend's 996 C4S. So's my other friend's 996 C2. All fun cars, all unique, all special in their own right. Haters gonna hate, especially here in the 993 section.
Old 03-04-2012, 12:47 AM
Falcondrivr
Race Car

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by number9ine
The reality is that there are many more examples of the 996 on the market than the 993. I personally like the 996, give me a mk1 aerokit car and I'll be a happy camper. The turbo's not my style, but lots of raves for the 996 GT3 as well. And fer chrissakes, they're just HEADLAMPS. The later Turbo-style headlamps are a little more derivative, but the GT1-style units through 2001 are nice. Shame that so many cried "but it looks like a Boxster." Who gives a ****? A Boxster looks pretty nice to me.

Yes, your 993s are nice. So's my 997 C2S. So's my wife's Boxster. So was my Boxster S. So's my friend's 996 C4S. So's my other friend's 996 C2. All fun cars, all unique, all special in their own right. Haters gonna hate, especially here in the 993 section.
Which is exactly why most of us aren't hatin'. It's called supply and demand. 996s perform better than 993s. (sorry guys, it's true) However, the supply of 996, and soon 997s, is huge. I think I read somewhere that 1 year of 996 production equaled all the 993s for all years. I'm sure it's true for 997s. All foreign cars depreciate like rocks. I'm also a Range Rover fan. Go price one of those...Fabulous cars for pennys. It's a good thing!
Old 03-04-2012, 01:04 AM
number9ine
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Falcondrivr
Which is exactly why most of us aren't hatin'. It's called supply and demand. 996s perform better than 993s. (sorry guys, it's true) However, the supply of 996, and soon 997s, is huge. I think I read somewhere that 1 year of 996 production equaled all the 993s for all years. I'm sure it's true for 997s. All foreign cars depreciate like rocks. I'm also a Range Rover fan. Go price one of those...Fabulous cars for pennys. It's a good thing!
Amen. I'd love a RR as a track support vehicle.

The 997s are a little more pleasing to the purist's eye, but their sales volume is even higher than 996. My C2S is anything but rare, and the prices are in the mid forties or less for early examples. Mine goes like stink, sounds great, looks great, and is built like a tank. Feels a little more visceral than a 996, a little less than a 993. Let's also keep in mind that "volume" is relative. I don't really want attention when I drive, but my 997 gets looks, thumbs-up, and people asking questions wherever I go. By the numbers, it's still a lot more special than every family car and SUV, and even most sports cars.
Old 03-04-2012, 03:56 AM
TEUTONIC
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by parsonii
unloved and unwanted by porsche snobs .... but god i love this car. it the super car bargain of our times. buy one and mod it and see what this beautiful gt1 metzger block can do.

Mezger not Metzger. I think English speakers hear the German Z and hear a T in it. The 996TT is a amazing Porsche.
Old 03-04-2012, 09:26 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by number9ine
Amen. I'd love a RR as a track support vehicle.

The 997s are a little more pleasing to the purist's eye, but their sales volume is even higher than 996. My C2S is anything but rare, and the prices are in the mid forties or less for early examples. Mine goes like stink, sounds great, looks great, and is built like a tank. Feels a little more visceral than a 996, a little less than a 993. Let's also keep in mind that "volume" is relative. I don't really want attention when I drive, but my 997 gets looks, thumbs-up, and people asking questions wherever I go. By the numbers, it's still a lot more special than every family car and SUV, and even most sports cars.
Depends where you live I suppose. But where I am, there is a 997 on the road every few minutes. I love the look and performance of them, and nothing but good things to say about them. But if I bought one, it would be as a daily driver, not sure that it would feel as "special" as a weekend 993, or any other air cooled Porsche for that matter. Just too many of them to feel unique. More drive it every day GT type of car. That's not hating by the way, just saying....

Quick Reply: Shocked by recent 996 pricing