Sponsored by:

Diff between a TBD and a LSD?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2013, 05:07 PM
vincer77
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by race911
Well, you're not braking only in a straight line if you're out there on the ragged edge. So figure in the sideways weight transfer, and it will be pretty clear that a mere bias adjustment rearward can make things incredibly tricky.

On point 2, braking that hard into a corner on the street? Let's put it this way, say I'm running to my capability in the yellow car on track (~2:00-1 at Thunderhill), if I dial it back say 4 seconds/lap (passenger pace) I'm probably in the mental state of being able to carry on a conversation, text, eat, whatever. Comparing that to aggressive street driving would probably equate to a 2:20 lap. And at that point you aren't even coming close to anything the car is capable of, braking and cornering-wise.
I am just reporting what I feel. Maybe I have sensitive "seat of pants."

Originally Posted by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
Aside from what Ken offered, a properly set up Guard LSD eliminates that rear-end wiggle under hard braking, even on the street.

I'm assuming that your rear alignment settings: static & kinematic toe, are perfect.
I have had the alignment with kinematic toe done by a reputable local shop. When I replaced tires recently, they had very even wear and the tech said that meant my alignment was good. With that said, could I still have an alignment problem?
Old 02-06-2013, 05:14 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 524 Likes on 346 Posts
Smile Adjust the under-steer out...

Originally Posted by evoderby
Do you steer with the wheel or with the throttle??
...with your adjustable sway bars. If it starts to push...just back off the gas a bit, until you can make an adjustment. I have not done it in so long that, haven't need to...so either I have it right or my LSD (ZF with Guard disks) is no longer working....

If my car were to understeer (Maybe it does a bit and I drive around it), I'd try to dial it out with the rear bar, set it a little softer as I recall. The stiffer the rear bar the more over-steer...so the reciprocal seems logical.

I'd never give away my trailing throttle braking...even if I have to rebuild the LSD...it costs <$1,000 to rebuild it as I recall. The Weissach LSA on the 993 seems to love a clutch pack LSD....that's what the big boys use.
Old 02-06-2013, 05:26 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by vincer77
I have had the alignment with kinematic toe done by a reputable local shop. When I replaced tires recently, they had very even wear and the tech said that meant my alignment was good. With that said, could I still have an alignment problem?
I don't want to drive this off topic so further questions/discussions should be done in a separate post, however I hope your alignment shop used the Factory or Autometric tool to set Kinematic toe. If they didn't have that tool, there is a good chance that its not correct, given your comments about car behavior. .
Old 02-06-2013, 07:34 PM
Paul902
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
Yep, your LSD should be providing significantly more stability under braking than without it. It really allows you to brake later into the corner and inspires confidence in carrying that much more speed.
Originally Posted by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
Aside from what Ken offered, a properly set up Guard LSD eliminates that rear-end wiggle under hard braking, even on the street.
Totally agree.

Quick Reply: Diff between a TBD and a LSD?