Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thoughts on WHICH racing shells for dual use?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 01:14 AM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Thoughts on WHICH racing shells for dual use?

I've seen tons of posts on pros & cons. Net net on comfort is it seems doable if you are of average build and can clear your head and all that, and you aren't commuting 75 mi each way.

I can't afford the badass 997 GT2 tilting carbon fiber mamma jamma seats, but thinking of going with a shell instead of the Sport Toplines I have now. I still slide around a bit too much on the track, even with a 6 pt.

Want to go leather, as I feel I'll rip the other fabrics and somehow the leather makes the racing seat seem more street to me.

So Q is, any one have thoughts impressions on Recaro vs. Sparco vs. OMP vs. whatever else I'm missing? The Evo or Evo 2 plus seemed to fit a tad better, but the Pole Positions look awfully nice as well.

If I take the pads out of various seats I don't have a height issue on any of them, but the PP I would have to take the pads out. The others I think I can keep in, but taking them out gets a little deeper in the shell and probably provides more lateral hold anyway.

So, any pros/cons, dos/don'ts? Dual use street/track, wife factor.
Old 02-23-2012, 09:58 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 500 Likes on 321 Posts

Do OMP and Sparco offer leather shell seats? If not, I guess you can rule them out, right? That would pretty much leave Recaro GT3 shell seats or Pole Positions as your only options. I DE'd and raced on the GT3 seats for quite a few years. They're very effective on the track and look good for the street. Also, they're an easily attainable commodity. The PP's might be too tight and the holes positioned too far below your shoulders to be right for you. Finally, seat choice is such a personal thing. What works for fifty of us might not work well for you.
Old 02-23-2012, 10:57 AM
Kein_Ersatz
Rennlist Member

Received 276 Likes on 186 Posts

http://www.rotteccarbon.com/seat.php But not certified.
Old 02-23-2012, 11:31 AM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You almost "have" to try many seats to insure you get a fit. No on-line advice from a single soul will help you there.

Best thing would be to go to a Club Race or NASA event nearest you, perhaps asociated with a DE you'd like to attend...almost everybody will be more than glad to let you sit and try. When you do, sit there for five minutes, not a brief in and out.
Old 02-23-2012, 11:46 AM
Benton
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Find some Pole Positions to try out. I have SPGs in the race car, and they are pretty tight for dual use. I'm a pretty skinny 5'10" 165 lbs, 32" waist, and the SPG is a snug fit. I've tossed around the idea of putting them in the 993 while the race car is out of commission, but I'm probably the only one that wouldn't mind driving with them on a consistent basis. Like Mark said, though, if you are a tall guy, the PP harness holes may be too low.

The PP & GT3 seats have slightly lower sides at the thighs, as well as being slightly wider IIRC. Knowing "how big-a-boy" you are will help in at least giving some recommendations, but the butt test is the only way to truly know. Especially when you would be dropping that much $$ on a pair of seats.
Old 02-23-2012, 11:55 AM
Nollie
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Benton
Find some Pole Positions to try out. I have SPGs in the race car, and they are pretty tight for dual use. I'm a pretty skinny 5'10" 165 lbs, 32" waist, and the SPG is a snug fit. I've tossed around the idea of putting them in the 993 while the race car is out of commission, but I'm probably the only one that wouldn't mind driving with them on a consistent basis. Like Mark said, though, if you are a tall guy, the PP harness holes may be too low.
I have SPGs in my 993 and I like driving around with them. Of course I have 32" waist as well. I joke with my wife I have to stay skinny so I can drive my car. I've thought of recovering them in leather to make them more "street" like JPS is saying but I dislike where the shoulder hole are... now if I could get an SPG with the SPG XL holes I'd be happy.
Old 02-23-2012, 12:29 PM
Benton
Drifting

Any pics Dan? I'd be curious to see the SPG shape in a 993 since all you usually see is the PP or GT3 shape.
Old 02-23-2012, 04:50 PM
Nollie
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Benton
Any pics Dan? I'd be curious to see the SPG shape in a 993 since all you usually see is the PP or GT3 shape.
Best I could find at this point is:

I'd snap some more but my car is visiting Rothsport for a few minor changes
Old 02-23-2012, 07:55 PM
e9stibi
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

I vote for 996 Euro GT3 in leather for dual use. I am very happy with them in my C4S.
Old 02-23-2012, 08:01 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Received 196 Likes on 117 Posts

X2 on the 996 Euro GT3 seats.

If I can fit my enormous derriere in them, you're golden for a dual purpose car.

Signed,

Self-loathing Fattie.

Old 02-23-2012, 09:00 PM
ppressle
Rennlist Member

x3 on the Euro gt3 seats for me, but you need to sit in them to know for your body type.
Old 02-23-2012, 10:30 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts

My daily driver has a Profi XL and its VERY comfortable for me (6' & 225 lbs).
Old 02-24-2012, 11:01 PM
camlob
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

These are SPG's from Recaro Japan. For Asian builds, so you gotta be slim to fit in I weigh 155lbs.

Old 02-25-2012, 09:25 AM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I never warmed up to the 996 GT3 seats, but always liked the aesthetics of the Recaro Pole Position. Pretty much the RS seats in ROW. So when I built a dual-use 964 I tried a variety of seats and ended up with pole positions. The SPG was just too tight. The PP looked great in the car, felt great, were comfortable for driving to the track, etc. Price is reasonable given what you are getting too. To do it over again, I would have gotten them in leather - great "OEM look".
Attached Images  
Old 02-26-2012, 06:01 PM
V
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Recaro PPs seem like a great seat. For tall people the harness holes end up being too low on your back, even with the seat cushion removed. So if you are tall, your options are severly compromised. Only the euro GT3 seats mentioned above will work (not considering XL versions of Recaro/Sparco). I didn't like the GT3 seat at all before but I have grown to like it. I think it looks kind of cool now . Remember the "euro GT3 seats" were an option for the 993 during the later years (through the tequipment programme), so the GT3 seat is definately "period correct". The version for the 993 even had a 993.XXX. part number.

Quick Reply: Thoughts on WHICH racing shells for dual use?