Help needed,Targa Roof

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 03:53 AM
Q8drill
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help needed,Targa Roof

Gents,

My Targa roof is jammed at the partial close position I need information on how to remove the tracks without removing the whole top, I searched Mike J website but does not show the tracks removal,

Cheers
Ahmad
Old 02-21-2012, 04:36 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

Hey Ahmad,

Did you get your parts? If you did, what did you get? (cables, ends, ??).

Why are you removing the tracks? (and by tracks you mean the black aluminum drain rails on each side of the roof where the roof supports slide on?). Is that to replace the cables? Marc can help more than I here.

I think you need to remove the rolled-up shade, visor, side trim (the two long black strips running down each side of the roof - they pull off towards the center of the roof), then the main roof panel. ONce that is all out, you can get access to the tracks.

Please make sure you are really careful when taking the roof apart, and follow exactly the instructions, and track all the parts. Its easy to bugger up the mechanism, and that will just cost you more money. Is there a Porsche dealership or factory trained mechanic you can get to help you (maybe you can pay him on the side so you do not have to pay the overhead of the shop)?

Do you have the Targa supplement to the 993 Shop Manual? It covers on how to remove the trim, visor, large glass panel, etc. Its vague as all Porsche manuals are, but at least it's something.

I may not be able to help that much, I am relying on memory since I sold the Targa last year so I also do not have a reference roof I can go and look at anymore.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 02-21-2012, 05:10 PM
Q8drill
Advanced

Mike,
Today I cut the cables with a cutter at the bottom of tracks, I found out that the cables were stuck inside the metal guides at the plate where the motors at, 2 tubes or guides have to be replaced. So that why the track were stuck and not moving, cables were rusted and stuck inside the guides at the motors plate.
Now the plate is out, I will try to weld new brass tubes to the mounting plate then install new cables. I know you would think that I should buy a new guides plate but I want to try welding new brass tubes what they use in A/C components.
I will send some pictures later.

Cheers
Ahmad
Old 02-21-2012, 06:00 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

So the cables were bound up with rust inside the tubes? That is a bit weird, has the car been subjected to a lot of water or rain over the years? the water is supposed to drain out the little drains at the bottom of the channel not through the cable guides.

Certainly try replacing the tubes - that is not much different than the way it's done from the factory. Tight spot for welding.

I have not seen any manuals that describe this sort of detail, so you are doing the right thing by figuring it out yourself.

Best of luck!

Cheers,

Mike
Old 02-21-2012, 11:43 PM
Q8drill
Advanced

Mike,
The little drains at the bottom of channels are plugged with pollins and dust so the water got inside these cable guides somehow.
I had to drill the dirt inside these small hoses or drains.
I will weld 2 new copper tubes today and take pictures to show how it was done.

Cheers
Ahmad
Old 02-22-2012, 03:41 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Ok, I see. I remember I tested the drains on my Targa and they worked fine - but it sounds like a good periodic inspection item for someone.

Pictures would be great!

Cheers,

Mike
Old 03-01-2012, 12:38 PM
Q8drill
Advanced

Mike,
Today I received the roof repair kit, This kit is the updated kit, My car had the metal gate guides, it's strange, my car was built in Jan. 1996.
I inserted the new cable and related machanisim inside the tracks, just had to pull the tracks inward to insert the cable, Yes cables can be replaced without removing the tracks, I will install the motors and synchronize them. It's piece of cake.
Cheers,
Ahmad
Old 03-01-2012, 01:41 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Excellent news Ahmad! Lets us know how the synronization work goes - its just picky work sometimes to make sure you get the alignment right, and the microswitches triggering at the right times..

Cheers,

Mike
Old 03-01-2012, 04:03 PM
Q8drill
Advanced

Mike,
I'm trying to use the old style axle plates by cutting the pin but it's not working, I started shaving them to work but still tight to engage the guide plate, Do I need to buy a new style axle plates.
Thanks
Ahmad
Old 03-01-2012, 04:38 PM
stairmasterman911
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 6 Posts

ahmad, i am buying a '96 targa as we speak. would love it if you document with some photos your work. are you a mechanic/technician? you sound handier than us normal schmoes.
Old 03-01-2012, 07:18 PM
shadow993
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by stairmasterman911
ahmad, i am buying a '96 targa as we speak. would love it if you document with some photos your work. are you a mechanic/technician? you sound handier than us normal schmoes.
+993
Old 03-01-2012, 07:49 PM
boursachi
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ahmad, I was at Rima the other day and they told me you passed by! I was angry at them for not being able to help! Sorry about that my man.
I am glad you are figuring it out, but to be honest I am not entirely sure I follow what you are referring to because fortunately I never had to look there.

Say, I would love a chance to come by and see your car and the work you are doing. It will be great to meet you as well. Win win for me, let me know if you are open to doing that sir.

-Ali
Old 03-01-2012, 09:08 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Q8drill
Mike,
I'm trying to use the old style axle plates by cutting the pin but it's not working, I started shaving them to work but still tight to engage the guide plate, Do I need to buy a new style axle plates.
Thanks
Ahmad
You mean the pins in the new kit are a larger diameter than the bushings in the guide plate?

Not sure how much help I can be here - i actually did not want to pay for new axle plates, so I made new ones by having a local foundry pour new ones, and then machined them down to what I wanted - seemed to last fine. When I put the new roof on, that was all replaced.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 03-02-2012, 04:46 PM
Q8drill
Advanced

Mike,
I mean the old axle plates would not fit when I installed the roof repair kit #27
I might have to buy new style axle plates.

Cheers
Ahmad
Old 03-02-2012, 05:03 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Can you just drill it out to fit?

Quick Reply: Help needed,Targa Roof