Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Windshield Replacement -- Radio Reception

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2012 | 06:20 PM
zellamsee
Burning Brakes

Default Windshield Replacement -- Radio Reception

I recently replaced the windshield on my 1996 993 coupe (the original windshield unfortunately cracked, when hit by a stone on the freeway). A shop here in Northern California did a nice job with the replacement -- apart from the some minor excess glue (inside) that needs to be trimmed, the new OEM windshield was installed properly -- straight in, no to little creaks, no leaks (I recently drove the car in heavy rain) and the new outside rubber trim looks perfect. The original windshield was produced by Sigla. The replacement by Pilkington.

However, I swear my radio reception now isn't as good as it was with the original windshield. I seem to have some additional static. I would say that the reception is perhaps 80%/85% of where it was originally.

-- Any thoughts as to why?

-- It appears that with the new glass, the internal antenna runs up (center) from the base, and then wraps around the windshield on the passenger side only. I am pretty sure that with the original glass, the internal antenna wrapped up and then down both sides. Perhaps this explains the weaker reception?

-- Could it be that the shop that replaced the glass didn't properly attach the antenna (wire) at the base? Or, if that were the case, would the reception just be horrible or non-existent?
Old 02-20-2012 | 06:23 PM
keithgreer
Racer

It might be. I just had my windshield replaced and they have to be very careful to attach it again. There is a tiny wire that protrudes on the passenger side down towards the bottom. It connects to a wire there which leads to the stereo. It looks similar to the wire that connects the rear window defroster. When they put in the inner window seal they may have unconnected it.
Old 02-20-2012 | 07:09 PM
zellamsee
Burning Brakes

Thanks. I now see what appears to be a plug of sorts, on the passenger side towards the bottom (as you indicate). I can't tell if it is plugged in or not -- I may take it back to the shop, to have them lift up the outer window seal, to make sure it is connected.
Old 02-20-2012 | 07:12 PM
keithgreer
Racer

Yep, thats it. There isn't much slack in there and its hard to plug back in. They might have to fiddle with the interior window seal.
Old 02-20-2012 | 11:50 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Yup, antenna wire is tricky and easy to miss, and also break. But poor reception is the immediate result of it not being installed.

Quick Reply: Windshield Replacement -- Radio Reception