Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

OT: Visiting San Fran and Monterey... and I like food as well as cars.

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2012, 11:53 AM
sanyata
Rennlist Member

Received 459 Likes on 251 Posts

Trattoria Contadina, 1800 Mason, SF
Lemon Grass Thai, Hwy 1, Moss Landing
Old 02-20-2012, 12:58 PM
fullbooker
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In SF, why not Taddich Grill? How about Beetle Nut?
And Passion Fish in Pacific Grove.

Phil
Old 02-20-2012, 03:07 PM
WBYonder
Drifting

Received 86 Likes on 68 Posts

In Carmel, I've eaten at:

Villiage Corner, nice casual, good pasta, nice atmosphere.
Hog's Breath, casual, decent bar-type food.
Mission Ranch (Clint Eastwood's place) Nice view, good food

Carmel Valley:

Baja Cantina, Good ribs, classic hangout
Iolis' Pizzeria, excellent pizza eat in or take out. Been there several times and will go back.

Monterey:

Compagno's Market and Deli, awesome sandwiches, cakes. A deli like I grew up with back in NY. Good food, good people, a lot of love for those who have served our nation. It's hard to get better than this.
Old 02-20-2012, 04:21 PM
Mike M.
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Another vouch for House of Prime Rib. This place is always consistent on service and food quality, and it's an SF staple. The price is actually not bad considering portions (and martinis) are generous, and anything above a House cut that's finished, you may get an extra petite cut for no charge. If you're in and around the North Beach or Wharf area and want something fancy, Gary Danko's is another nice choice. Both of these spots you'll want to reserve well in advance just in case depending on group.

For non steak, one of my wife's favs is Crustacean's for the garlic crab and noodles. For other less formal spots, we like the House in North Beach (get the seabass, lychee ice tea, gets crowded quick) or San Tung in the Sunset (dry fried chicken and dumplings a must, peanut noodles are decent)

For sweets, there's some stuff in the Mission (some areas a bit more hipster nowadays), including breads/pastries from Tartine and Humphry Slocombe for ice cream. They offer one of my favorite all time ice cream flavors, "secret breakfast" (whiskey and corn flakes, don't bash it till you try it). They are known for their occasional off the wall flavors (prosciutto ice cream?) along with other staples like "Jesus Juice" or Viet Cofee. Tartine and Humphry are in pretty close proximity if you need a sweet tooth fix.

I would even say if timed accordingly for a casual setting, another idea is to try one of the food truck round ups around the bay. One of our family friends owns Chairman Bao, a food truck specializing in pork belly buns, which is one of the several that show up at these type of gtg's.

Mountain House is nice, and Bella Vista is not too far from it as well. One rec is to request window seating at dusk, and you may watch the lights turn on around the bay as the sun sets. It's also a nice drive along Skyline as previously mentioned.

For stuff along the way toward Monterey, Phil's Fish Market and Restaurant in Mossdale Landing should be on the list (bit more casual). They are known for their fresh Cioppino, fresh seafood overall, and price to portion ratio and service are pretty good. Order some artichoke app's if you like, as Castroville is next door (artichoke capital of the world). For a little nicer/formal stuff, the Sardine Factory in Monterey is a decent spot (we like to sit in the captain's room, or for large groups, the cellar downstairs). Their abalone bisque I believe was served at Reagan's inauguration, or something like that.

For seafood chowder, SF's Fisherman's Wharf has the touristy stuff (i.e. Boudin Bakery/Factory), but the preferred chowders at least for our family's palette tend to migrate to Old Fisherman's Grotto at Monterey's wharf by Cannery Row, Phil's in Mossdale Landing, and Sam's ChowderHouse in Half Moon Bay (off Highway 1 if you go South along the ocean/scenic route from SF).

If you stay down in the Monterey area, I'd also vouch for Katy's Place in Carmel - great eggs benedict and proper way to start the day.

For Napa we don't frequent up there too much with the kids, but numerous options, some previously conveyed, would include French Laundry, Auberge du Soleil, and perhaps Morimoto's. Anticipate any of these to be $$$ and advanced reservations are a must most of the time, especially FL.
Old 02-20-2012, 04:26 PM
Ash
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

for serious croissants or other baked stuff your waistline will thank you for:
-Tartine in the Mission
-another vote for Delfina (Mission or in Pacifici Heights on California)
-Umami or Super Duper (if you need a burger fix...although you can't argue with In N Out either)

-for coffee: Philz - several locations (Southbeach SF, 24th St-SF, Palo Alto)

If you're in the East bay
- Wood Tavern
- Southie (best sandwiches on the planet)
- Commis
- Bocanova or newly opened Haven - if you want a waterfront lunch/dinner at Jack London Square

finally - for more write-ups/ suggestions....check out Eater SF
http://sf.eater.com/
Old 02-20-2012, 05:37 PM
cal7380
Intermediate

Casanova
Fifth Ave. between San Carlos & Mission
Carmel
Old 02-21-2012, 02:26 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 79 Likes on 60 Posts

If you get as far south as Cambria, the Sea Chest on Moonstone Beach is one of my favorites as well.
Old 02-21-2012, 03:58 PM
hal m
Rennlist Member

My all-time favorite restaurant is Gary Danko - See http://www.garydanko.com/

Need to make a reservation exactly 60 days in advance for a decent weekend dining hour. If you get there around 4:30 on Saturday evening you can get on line to eat at the bar which is awful fun since you can converse with other drunken folks while still having access to full menu. Bring some extra credit cards as this place is $$$$ but worth every penny. I like it better than French Laundry as the food is more accessible and real as opposed to someone trying to impress you with the weirdest stuff on a plate.

Big Sur Bakery on Hwy 1 is very good and awesome views. Big Sur is my favorite place on earth. Sierra Mar at Post Ranch Inn and The Restaurant at Ventana Inn are also incredible but much more expensive
Old 02-23-2012, 02:14 PM
SinVancouver
Instructor

Thanks Hal... I was curious about Danko we ate there almost 10 years ago and it was amazing.. was curious to know if it was still on its game..

This is my new favorite thread.. getting so hungry.. cant wait to get down there..

Thanks everyone!!!

S
Old 02-24-2012, 12:08 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts

If you go to Monterey, it is my opinion that a trip down to Big Sur (not that far) for lunch at Nepenthe is a must. The scenery just doesn't get any better than that. Food isn't bad either, but it really is about the view you won't see anywhere else.
Old 02-24-2012, 12:36 AM
il pirata
Banned

Received 166 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
If you go to Monterey, it is my opinion that a trip down to Big Sur (not that far) for lunch at Nepenthe is a must. The scenery just doesn't get any better than that. Food isn't bad either, but it really is about the view you won't see anywhere else.
+1

Of course if you are trying to hit the curves do not look anywhere other than the road.

What a great list of restaurants from everyone! The old Sf guy needs a road trip.

If you drive from SF to Monterey I would vote on driving down 1 and stop in Pescadero at Duarte's...been in the same family since day 1 and very good food.
Old 02-24-2012, 04:53 PM
hal m
Rennlist Member

I think Duarte's is way over-rated

If you are around Petaluma, right off 101 is an amazing bakery for breakfast or lunch. Their breads are killer. See http://www.dellafattoria.com/ A lot easier logistically than Tartine in the Mission
Old 02-24-2012, 05:04 PM
inkatouring
Three Wheelin'

Received 59 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by hal m
A lot easier logistically than Tartine in the Mission
Parking is so bad around Tartine and Delfina that a 45 minute drive up to Petaluma takes me about the same amount of time....

Going to A.Q. tonight and will report back.
Old 02-25-2012, 01:17 AM
FGL28
Anjin San
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Parman
Cantinetta Luca on Dolores St. in Carmel.
+993
The last time I ate there was during Rennsport. Nit was fantastic.
Katy's for breakfast in Carmel

Originally Posted by sanyata
Trattoria Contadina, 1800 Mason, SF
Lemon Grass Thai, Hwy 1, Moss Landing
dude are you following me? those are 2 of my favorite restaurants.

Phil's Fish House in Moss Landing is good.

Monterey Fish House in Monterey.

Last edited by FGL28; 02-25-2012 at 01:18 AM. Reason: STUPID IPAD
Old 02-25-2012, 01:06 PM
inkatouring
Three Wheelin'

Received 59 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by inkatouring
Going to A.Q. tonight and will report back.
Happy to report that my foodanista friends found A.Q. up to their lofty standards. Last time we all went out was to Coi, which they loved but I waited for the food through all 11 courses (and had to have a bowl of cereal when I got home). At A.Q., one of them said "remember that oyster at Coi?" and I said "THE oyster. THE oyster. That was the problem with Coi was THE oyster, not the oysterS."

I found A.Q. to be every bit as tantilizing as Coi in terms of taste but with portions that actually fed someone, one of my goals in going out to eat. And the people watching was fantastic; the hostess was unbelievably cute and every bit as curvy as my c4s! There's your Porsche content.

Quick Reply: OT: Visiting San Fran and Monterey... and I like food as well as cars.