993 Forum 1995-1998

Fog lights off

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2012, 12:12 AM
x50type
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Fog lights off

My 2 fog lights are rarely used - but when i tried them this evening with dipped beams on they didn't come on. All my other lights are fine.

Fuse #14 is good, relay R31 looks good when i open it. Dashboard fog light switch
lights when pulled out but goes out when pushed in.

With the dipped beams on i can hold the relay contact closed and both fogs come on whether the dashboard switch is pushed in or out.

I tried a different relay in R31 socket, still no fogs.

Dashboard switch connection behind dash appears fine [not loose or off].

What else can i try?

PS How does the fog light switch come out? I unscrewed the locking ring but can't back out the switch because i can't get the illuminated plastic **** off to push the switch back in then take it out thro' the radio aperture.
Old 02-19-2012, 09:22 AM
Garth S
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Any chance that you've installed a aftermarket HID kit in the H1 low beams?

Maybe entirely unrelated, but I had a somewhat similar issue with fogs not firing; however, in my case, they serve as DRL's ..... Relay 32 becomes involved ..
Old 02-19-2012, 02:11 PM
x50type
Three Wheelin'

Thanks Garth.

I do have HID's in the low beams, they have worked fine for 3 years - and they work fine now, no problem with them at all.

The fogs also work fine if i manually close the relay R31.

I have managed to remove and dis-assemble the fog light switch on the dash - typical Porsche complication! Probably i have twisted the handle a bit and it is not making the contacts it should, so the relay is not energising!

I may have to buy a new switch if all else fails.

Last edited by x50type; 06-22-2012 at 04:54 PM.
Old 02-19-2012, 04:02 PM
Garth S
Rennlist Member

Switch contacts look good .... if you get the genie back in the bottle, it will probably work

Is that a bridging resistor - or diode? Might be worth a check with the meter.
Cheers, G
Old 02-19-2012, 04:50 PM
x50type
Three Wheelin'

Get the genie back in the bottle - aye, there's the rub!

I have already lost a tiny spring and ball - hopefully one of each will suffice......

it looks like a simple resistor.

Old 02-24-2012, 02:08 AM
csertich
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hope this isn't too long. As delivered my cars foglights worked intermittently. They stopped working and I took it to a good Indie shop I trust. The diagnosis was a bad connection at the fuse box and that I needed a new fuse box. ? Well, I did it. This is a guy to trust. Foglights worked for about 2 months and stopped working. The second time they stopped working, I noticed that my backuplights did not work. I took it to another shop. I had already changed out the relay. But they told me they got a new relay and all was well. That was true for about two weeks. Had fogs and backup lights. They would intermittently stop working. I found that if I pulled the relay you mentioned, and would re-seat it ln occasion, I could get my lights back and back up lights back. But that would only last a few days and I could do it again but I long ago gave up on this. MY car has fogs that do not work and I have no backup lights. Really ticks me off.
So that was a lot of help huh?
chuck

Curious, do your backup lights work when the fogs are inop?

I'm sorry. I have searched for a solution (but have never found it).

chuck
Old 02-24-2012, 08:38 AM
Garth S
Rennlist Member

Chuck,
As the second CE panel didn't get the job done, odds are that the first panel is OK ..... and the real problem may lie in one of the main harness connectors that plug onto the pins protruding on the bottom side of the CE ( fuse box). Specifically, each wire that enters a harness connector has a crimped connector that has spring tabs that lock it into the connector.

Sometimes, one of these little @#&%$ works loose ..... and leads to an intermittent contact.

Lift the CE panel and detach the plug under R31/32 and check that each wire end is snapped in at the same level/none are burned/etc ...... you may find the Gremlin ...
Old 02-24-2012, 11:53 AM
x50type
Three Wheelin'

Chuck

you said - Curious, do your backup lights work when the fogs are inop?

Yes, my backup lights work fine........

Just to make sure i have ordered a new fog light switch from Porsche and a new relay. Considering how complex the switch is i was surprised to see it is only about $45 and the relay about $20 - i expected $100 plus.

I disassembled the FL switch socket [see photo]. The 4 sockets are loose and can come out of their locations easily, they can be moved to other combinations because there are 6 holes not 4. I may have got the wrong sequence because the FL's still don't work. I will see what happens with the new switch and relay when i get them in about 2 weeks time from the fatherland.

I will also check the fuse board.

Old 03-01-2012, 02:12 AM
csertich
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Great input. Thank you!

Thanks much Garth for your thoughts. Gives me a place to start troubleshooting. Helps a lot. I really appreciate your input.
chuck

Originally Posted by Garth S
Chuck,
As the second CE panel didn't get the job done, odds are that the first panel is OK ..... and the real problem may lie in one of the main harness connectors that plug onto the pins protruding on the bottom side of the CE ( fuse box). Specifically, each wire that enters a harness connector has a crimped connector that has spring tabs that lock it into the connector.

Sometimes, one of these little @#&%$ works loose ..... and leads to an intermittent contact.

Lift the CE panel and detach the plug under R31/32 and check that each wire end is snapped in at the same level/none are burned/etc ...... you may find the Gremlin ...
Old 06-13-2015, 07:29 PM
71-3.0-911
Rennlist Member

Received 718 Likes on 487 Posts

I have had intermittent fog light operation since I bought my car about 2 years ago. I tried the usual relay and fuse in the frunk fuse that everyone lists as the culprit and even replaced both the relay and fuse. Then, by chance I noticed that there was a second relay listed for U.S. + Japan vehicles that was in the row closest to the front. Circled in the first picture. That fixed my problem for good. Fog lights now work without fail. Relay 34 was the culprit.
Name:  bd462b36-5cdf-47d5-a0a7-57a39933ddcc_zpsvkl4wgnv.jpg
Views: 2070
Size:  460.8 KB

Name:  image2_zpsjinhegyd.jpg
Views: 2008
Size:  369.3 KB
Old 12-19-2017, 12:14 PM
tmc
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I know this is an old thread, so I am adding this to help those who find it via search. I checked the fuse, relay 01, and the dash switch - nothing. I then found this thread. But note that the relay in question is not cheap. I found that if you remove the relay and just jumper pin 30 to 87 (from the bottom of the relay) (or the copper pins) via a spade lug jumper in the fuse box, your fogs will be fixed. The cabin switch will turn them on and off.

​​Tom

Last edited by tmc; 12-19-2017 at 09:07 PM.

Quick Reply: Fog lights off