Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

What's the verdict on drilling/removing the crash bars?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2012, 11:22 AM
daltvater
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Viggo
It's funny how reducing weight almost always becomes a tradeoff where you either have to give up safety or comfort. Giving up safety is not a good idea, hence my post. I'm guessing the best "compromise" would be drilling a few holes in them, just like Bill V did. If it's worth it...
What if these carbon fiber units proved to be just as safe as the aluminum? Hard to believe they could be. We need an engineer to chime in here!
Old 02-19-2012, 12:09 PM
chaoscreature
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Daltvater,

Do you still have:
A/C
Carpets
Underlayment
Stereo
Dashboard
Stock seats
Passenger seat
back seats
door panels
glass in doors
stock exhaust
undercoating
Steel undercarriage panels

There are many places to shave weight from the car without getting into the safety bits.
I am an engineer, but I have not done any sort of analysis on the crash bar, but I seriously doubt our friends at Porsche would install a 30lb bar of aluminum in the back without a good reason. It probably helps to distrbute the load of an impact to both of the frame rails and their respective crumple zones. Otherwise a straight on impact with something narrow would just go tearing through the sheet metal. Just a guess.
Old 02-20-2012, 01:15 AM
daltvater
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chaoscreature
Daltvater,

Do you still have:
A/C
Carpets
Underlayment
Stereo
Dashboard
Stock seats
Passenger seat
back seats
door panels
glass in doors
stock exhaust
undercoating
Steel undercarriage panels

There are many places to shave weight from the car without getting into the safety bits.
I am an engineer, but I have not done any sort of analysis on the crash bar, but I seriously doubt our friends at Porsche would install a 30lb bar of aluminum in the back without a good reason. It probably helps to distrbute the load of an impact to both of the frame rails and their respective crumple zones. Otherwise a straight on impact with something narrow would just go tearing through the sheet metal. Just a guess.
I'm down to 2820 with a half tank of gas and the car is still a fairly comfortable daily driver. (wife would disagree)

Neat video of a Boxster crash. It looks like you can see the crash bar take a hit at 18 seconds.

Not interested in removing my crash bars unless I knew the CF units were safe. If produced correctly could they have the ability be stronger than aluminum? I just noticed Cargraphic calls the units "bumper carrier" I'm guessing that means they were not designed for strength.

Last edited by daltvater; 02-20-2012 at 01:39 AM.
Old 02-20-2012, 01:41 AM
NP993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by daltvater
I'm down to 2820 with a half tank of gas and the car is still a fairly comfortable daily driver.
Same for me, although a couple dozen pounds heavier. Would really dig being able to drop 35 more pounds. I wonder what the engineers would say about replacing the aluminum bars by filling up the behind-the-bumper area with crash foam? Would probably be easy to buy a few pieces of foam off any old car at a junkyard and trim it to fit. It weighs nothing but obviously provides tremendous impact absorption.
Old 02-20-2012, 07:47 AM
evoderby
Pro

Going for carbon beams also loses the tow points front and rear. This can of course be addressed in alternative ways (CUP tow eyes) but can be rather inconvenient.....

RUF just used to trim away vertical sections of the beam as a means to lighten it. When looking at a standard 944 bumper beam there seems to be ample room to do so whilst keeping OEM integrity:

http://teilecar.com/?449,porsche-944...-beam&sLang=en
Old 02-20-2012, 04:05 PM
V
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds good but what do you mean by "trim away vertical sections of the beam"?
Old 02-20-2012, 04:28 PM
evoderby
Pro

Easy, have a look at the photo in the link and you'll get the idea....
Old 02-21-2012, 04:34 PM
MDamen
Pro

The bumpers and impact absorbers are made to work together to meet the federal standards in place at the time the car was manufactured. Removing or altering any part of that system makes it less safe. Substituing foam or carbon fiber for an aluminum beam would need a lot of data to say it is just as safe. It still may not be un-safe, but you can't make that statement without analyzing the modified design in light of its intended operating conditions. If you plan to use the car on the street, you would be hard pressed to say that using anything other than the federal standards are safe. On the track, you could point to your sanctioning body's rulebook to say their standards result in a safe car.
Old 02-21-2012, 04:44 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

Coupla cans of this will do the trick in lieu of bumper foam:
Attached Images  
Old 02-21-2012, 04:48 PM
NP993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I was thinking about drilling access holes in the bumper covers and just spraying in a dozen cans of Fix-A-Flat.
Old 02-21-2012, 04:49 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

Lightening from the ground up?
Old 02-21-2012, 07:07 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by race911
I'm taking it you mean with the support removed. If so, you know this from working in the industry, or a specific fact situation?

I've been involved with two severe wrecks concerning customers, one Porsche and one not, one with a fatality. Both extremely modified cars. Way beyond what we're talking here on a crash support. The fatality was settled for the policy limit, the other did not have a passenger involved. I never got word there was much to do about the cars being modified. (I worked on both cars, but did not do the modifications.) Granted, this was in the '80s and mid-'90s.
Ok as usual you are correct. Nice to hear how good those highly modified cars protected the occupants.
Old 02-21-2012, 07:32 PM
axl911
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Don't know much about what would be the result of a major impact without the bar. But for a 5mph, it would result in an expensive repair as now the dented tub sheetmetal would have to be cut and re-welded in...in addition to the other damages.

Plus, what happens when the insurance adjuster sees the bar that is supposed to protect the tub for these minor fender bender missing?

Definitely NOT worth the 20lbs saving.
Old 02-21-2012, 08:25 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jimq
Ok as usual you are correct. Nice to hear how good those highly modified cars protected the occupants.
Am I? I merely asked if you had specific knowledge based on working in the industry. All I did was relay a couple of incidents that went horribly wrong, both of which I'd heard about because I was involved several layers removed. Not to mention we're talking about 15 and 25 years ago. Lots can change, and I'm always interested in keeping current.

If you want to the details of how I remember each car deviated from as-delivered, I'll try my best to recollect. Briefly, one was a 930 that had a poor seat installation/competition belt install; the other was a first gen Z28 (back when they weren't worth anything) that had a replacement subframe which was substandard. To what extent, I don't know as I'm not a muscle car expert. But I can work my way around a V-8, which is all I'd done to that car. Both were triple digit crashes, and I'm not sure what could have made a difference other than we know the Z28 came apart. The 930, as with 99+% of 930 crashes, was driver error. I harvested a good engine out of it though!

Now that I think about it, my cousin (the one with the Ford GT) was almost killed about 3 years ago when his lifelong buddy took him for a joyride in a heavily modified (Hennessey?) Viper that he'd had for about a week. I know it came from one of the tuner shops. I think they left the pavement well over 100mph; and as I heard the story, this was purely inexperienced driver error. Severe back injury, broken pelvis, etc. etc. Not the easiest thing for a guy in his mid-60's to recover from. I can certainly ask if anything insurance-wise came from that.
Old 02-22-2012, 12:37 AM
MDamen
Pro

I think the insurance companies are interested in determining who is at fault for the accident. If it is driver of the modified car who is at fault, they would also be responsible for contributing to the damage and the insurance company has to pay anyway. If the other driver is at fault, but the damage to you or your vehicle was greater because you disabled a safety device, the insurance company might determine you should bear some of the financial responsibility, depending on state law.

The accidents quoted seem to be the fault of the driver of the modified car. I wonder if there are any cases out there where someone removes the bumper supports, gets in a slow speed accident where they are not at fault, but sustains significant damage due to their modifications. Would the other driver's insurance call foul because your car should have sustained minimal damage?

Quick Reply: What's the verdict on drilling/removing the crash bars?