Sponsored by:

Rear toe control arm, seriously?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 03:43 PM
Aatos
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Victory!

Jacking up the engine wasn't quite enough so I ended up making a tiny dimple on the exchanger...

Looks like bushes are fine and the joints are tight, it's just the boots that are torn. I need to see if I can replace those with some generic boots.

Installation check: Looks like the arms are symmetric so left / right and topside / underside orientation doesn't matter?
Old 02-16-2012, 03:46 PM
Aatos
Racer

Oh and I think that geolab has found that the infamous RS bush factory does control arm rebuilds .
Old 02-16-2012, 04:04 PM
911Dave
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

What's the safest way to dent the heat exchanger? Round end of a ball peen hammer?
Old 02-16-2012, 05:20 PM
element
Pro

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

interesting that you needed to dent.. My engine didnt move that much with my new RS motor mounts.. when pulling the bolt out you should have been able to pull it at an angle with the shape of the hole it goes through. Will need to check next time that part of the car is apart - just got my alignment yesterday, so there's nooooo way im taking apart

Glad it worked out though!

phil.
Old 02-17-2012, 07:18 AM
geolab
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Aatos
Oh and I think that geolab has found that the infamous RS bush factory does control arm rebuilds .
that was a year ago
https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...-bushings.html

I am into a project to mod the bushing connection, not ball solid, but mini adjutable.
The reason is that , for example , with your pictured toe arms above, we can see that the right one in the picture is not straight in the middle. (is it the passenger side? quite frequently, I have seen the passenger side slightly bent on 993's, curious)
I am practically sure that, if you were to re-use these specific arms, the person who is going to tune the kinematic toe, is going to suffer to align the arms at 1.0 scale. Ask me how I know.
As for arms, already have the total RS suspension brand new still in boxes mothballed with front, rear, side panel, and every rubber in 85 shores
Old 02-21-2012, 03:45 AM
Aatos
Racer

Finding replacement boots is proving to be tricky.

The boot is a bit special because there is a washer on the upper end. This makes the top hole diameter unusually large. I guess Ferdinand decided to use a washer in order to improve the boot longetivity because of the large travel the control arm makes. Hence I'm inclined not to use a standard boot without the the washer.

I'm enquiring whether the mystery factory could provide me just the boots but I'm not holding my breath...
Old 02-21-2012, 10:03 PM
Mercedesben
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tc

Mine were bad and I got the tarret replacement parts from fd.

Quick Reply: Rear toe control arm, seriously?