Sponsored by:

oh brother, PSS-9's...

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 02:18 AM
os993
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 258 Posts
Default oh brother, PSS-9's...

So I finally got around to shipping my rear PSS-9's back to Bilstein for repair (the rear adjustment **** basically froze, so I don't know where my rears are set and obviously can't adjust them).

Lifetime warranty, right? That's right, and workiing with Bilstein was actually very good - friendly, and helpful.

So I send my rears, after talking to Bilstein before hand and making sure they are ok for me to send them, then I get a call today that "PSS9's are discontinued and we cannot service them because we don't have any of the parts we need"!! Say what??? What about supporting a lifetime warranty?? Plus PSS9's only were discontinued 3-4yrs ago. Again, say what??

Ok, so the nice guy at Bilstein says that "we can send you PSS10's to replace your rear PSS9's and the we will make an exception and break a full kit to send you the rears". Ok I say, but what about the mis-match with having 8yr old PSS9's in the front and new PSS10's in the rear? Also, perhaps I can purchase the front PSS10's, considering you will just shelve them (and send me the rears only).

In any event, stay tuned. I have to say Bilstein has been very good and nice to work with - from all levels. They are expediting my fix and they are pro-active. I cannot say enough good so far about the support (except for this strange situation that I am trying to work out). If I can get out of this by paying some fair $ for the fronts, the I will have a new PSS10 set-up. Again, not my choice, but their choice, so I will work this as best as I can.

Stay tuned...
Old 02-15-2012, 02:28 AM
gonzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I don't know what to think of this right now. But as I too have pss-9s, I will be watching this thread closely. Good luck!!!
Old 02-15-2012, 10:49 AM
NP993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have 10-year-old PSS9's that should be rebuilt soon....subscribing.
Old 02-15-2012, 10:59 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

I will say it's almost unfathomable that Bilstein isn't making any parts for these dampers, but I have faith that Bilstein will do the right thing. I do think Bilstein needs to be really careful how it handles this situation, for if enough PSS-9 owners are left in the lurch, this obsolescence can affect future sales of PSS-10's and other Bilstein shocks. I suppose a third party vendor can service the shocks to some extent, but if Bilstein is the only source for the fragile adjustment mechanisms, many owners could be left with non-adjustable suspensions.

Bilstein, are you listening?
Old 02-15-2012, 11:20 AM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

I thought it was common practice to maintain an inventory of A and B stock for warranty and replacement purposes. I know Becker does that. After some long period of time, they are able to start selling B stock, which were initially reserved for service replacement.

surprised if Bilstein doesn't have an inventory of B stock for the same purpose.
Old 02-15-2012, 11:32 AM
os993
Rennlist Member

The kicker in all of this is I am sending defective shocks for "lifetime warranty" repair. How can you claim "lifetime warranty" and already be unable to service a fairly new line of shocks (PSS9's are not 20yr old models, for crying out loud!!)??

In any event - stay tuned.
Old 02-15-2012, 11:46 AM
element
Pro

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

lifetime = marketing :P
Old 02-15-2012, 01:33 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

I'd be very, very careful. Bilstein knows your address and can come and adjust your lifetime according to their parts inventory

Seriously, though, I have heard of this issue with both Bilstein and Koni (latter experienced by me directly). I am sure parts are available in Europe and probably not available in US. So it's easier and cheaper for them to swap a pair of rear struts to PSS10 and do the same for somebody't fronts down the road.

I, personally, have very low trust in all these lifetime warranties. What happened at Koni is that they eventually sold me a new set of shocks for 50% off. Off their MSRP, mind you, which ended up just slightly less than buying a brand new set on the street. Oh, and, of course, the new set came with "lifetime warranty" again.
Old 02-15-2012, 01:38 PM
CorrdoBrit
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I thought companies were legally obliged to make spares available for rebuilds etc for a period of 7 years after production ceases, lifetime or no lifetime warranty. If the PSS-9's were discontinued only 4 years ago they fall far short of that obligation.
Old 02-15-2012, 01:49 PM
os993
Rennlist Member

Update: Working with Bilstein and their management, they "agreed" to sell me the front PSS10's at "cost" and will ship me the rears free (part of the lifetime warranty replacement).

I am more $ out of pocket than I hoped for (front PSS10's are not cheap!), and this is really a strange way that Bilstein must deal with this issue. I asked them what they will do when another PSS9 customer sends defective shocks (ie should be covered under warranty) and he confirmed that "that is an ongoing problem".

Supposedly, they are better stocked with PSS10 parts for future "lifetime warranty" stuff. Interesting.

So, I will now have a brand new PSS10 setup (not the worst thing in life), but my out of pocket $$ is way higher than I originally estimated.

Also, FYI, my shop replaced my rear lower toe-link control arms (I think I'm saying this right). Around $350 per side and supposedly these are so shot, the alignment shop could not (would not) do any alignment with these shot control arms (too much play). They stated this is a common wear-out part on 993's (my car is a '95 with 135k miles).

In the end, I'll have a nice updated suspension system.
Old 02-15-2012, 02:11 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Interesting. I have PSS9's on the Turbo. How long should these reasonably last? Thanks.

OS993, are you doing the Walrod bushings during this update?
Old 02-15-2012, 02:36 PM
TravisB
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow...I was this --><-- close to picking up a set of ratty PSS9's to have rebuilt a week or two ago. Very glad I didn't!
Old 02-15-2012, 02:47 PM
gonzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by os993
Update: Working with Bilstein and their management, they "agreed" to sell me the front PSS10's at "cost" and will ship me the rears free (part of the lifetime warranty replacement).
This begs the question... how much is their "cost?"

Originally Posted by TravisB
Wow...I was this --><-- close to picking up a set of ratty PSS9's to have rebuilt a week or two ago. Very glad I didn't!
Lucky. I think their "lifetime warranty" only applies to the original purchaser.
Old 02-15-2012, 03:08 PM
Cemoto
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 74 Posts

The lifetime of a fruitfly is three days. These "Lifetime" warranties never seem to specify the definition of a "Lifetime".
Old 02-15-2012, 04:00 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

Travis, there are a number of companies rebuilding and re-valving Bilsteins besides Bilstein itself. Take a look at FatCat Motorsports. They are well known and loved in Miata world (and the guy actually knows what he's doing with valving, unlike Bilstein itself).

Ask him if he can rebuild your PSS9s. I'd be surprised if he can't.

Quick Reply: oh brother, PSS-9's...