Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it wrong to buy a 993 for a DD...and park it outside?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 12:27 PM
CorrdoBrit
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Personally, I feel something thats more 'handmade' than robot made justifies special consideration, but maybe thats just me.
The money side is another thing and worth protecting if possible. I bought my car to drive, but if I ever have to sell, my hope is that I can recoup a major part of the outlay. In that sense its also an investment. If I bought a beater 993 my feelings might be different.
Old 02-09-2012, 12:29 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
If you go only by monetary value, ok (depending on the model of 996).
What else should we go with?

Emotion? Then it's not even a contest between 996 TT vs. N/A 993.

And obviously comparing same models (C2 vs C2, C2S vs. C2S, TT vs. TT, RS vs. RS etc.) and IMO it's really not even a contest.
Old 02-09-2012, 12:40 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,425 Likes on 825 Posts

Originally Posted by CorrdoBrit
Personally, I feel something thats more 'handmade' than robot made justifies special consideration, but maybe thats just me.
The money side is another thing and worth protecting if possible. I bought my car to drive, but if I ever have to sell, my hope is that I can recoup a major part of the outlay. In that sense its also an investment. If I bought a beater 993 my feelings might be different.
well, without getting into the details of whether its handmade or not, I'm sure some people feel that way, but I don't.

I guess since so many 993 owners/seekers are so **** and expect perfection of condition, it probably makes more sense to put it in the garage since they'd have you think any less is sacrilege.

Originally Posted by Flying Finn
What else should we go with?

Emotion? Then it's not even a contest between 996 TT vs. N/A 993.

And obviously comparing same models (C2 vs C2, C2S vs. C2S, TT vs. TT, RS vs. RS etc.) and IMO it's really not even a contest.
Emotion is very personal. I don't really care either way. I keep my 993 in the garage because I drive my benz daily and its just easier that way. If it was the other way around, i'd leave the 933 outside.
Old 02-09-2012, 12:45 PM
Harry L
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Benton
I think a win/win would be to find a high-mileage 993 as the DD. You don't have to worry about keeping it cherry because it isn't a cherry car.
I don't want to take us off topic, but I have seen many cherry high-mileage 911s - 993s included - and many rough low-mileage cars. But I agree with the basic point that a "beater" 993 might be the way to go - recognizing that "beater" means different things to different people.
Old 02-09-2012, 01:08 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 562 Likes on 200 Posts

My RSA was left outside in the Georgia sun for a year and a half before I got it. The black single stage paint on the hood and roof started to crack, all the rubber seals dried up, the dash cracked as well. Glad it didn't have a sunroof otherwise it would've probably leaked and completely ruined the interior.

With proper maintenance and less sun none of those things would've happened. If your driveway is only partially in the sun, or your office has a covered lot you won't have those issues. Also if you get a lighter color car such as silver or white it will be less likely to have paint problems.
Old 02-09-2012, 01:10 PM
CorrdoBrit
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

To me a beater is an example that shows the knocks from a hard life on the road and proudly bears the scars of a few encounters in the parking lot. The paint finish may not be as bright or shiny as it used to be. In other words it exhibits the petina of a car that's 14-17 years old. Mechanically sound and maintained but a little rough around the edges. Beater doesn't mean abused or neglected.
Old 02-09-2012, 01:13 PM
Benton
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We're getting into semantics now. Seems to me you should go with your gut!
Old 02-09-2012, 01:34 PM
helmet993
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Benton

I think a win/win would be to find a high-mileage 993 as the DD. You don't have to worry about keeping it cherry because it isn't a cherry car.
Yes that would exactly be the plan!
Old 02-09-2012, 01:57 PM
Phil
Phlat Black Guru
Rennlist
Lifetime Member
- Times 2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Geez.......really??????? its a car!! it will not melt, it will not be offended, it will not be lonely, it wont harbor any resentment towards you, it wont be upset with you, it wont cry throughout the night, it wont get sun burned, it wont catch a cold........ actually it wont know the difference........because ITS A CAR........

Really its just a car...........
Old 02-09-2012, 02:03 PM
helmet993
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Phil
Geez.......really??????? its a car!! it will not melt, it will not be offended, it will not be lonely, it wont harbor any resentment towards you, it wont be upset with you, it wont cry throughout the night, it wont get sun burned, it wont catch a cold........ actually it wont know the difference........because ITS A CAR........

Really its just a car...........
No way! News to me!

Do you park yours outside?
Old 02-09-2012, 02:04 PM
blake
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Get a lift if you have the ceiling height. $2-3k max. You can put your DD under your 993. The wife's 996TT can have its own bay, and her SUV can stay outside. To me, this is a no-brainer.

I struggled with the same issue as I have a one car garage, a one car driveway and 4 cars. I did not have the ceiling height for a lift, so that was not a possibility. Our solution was initially to keep one of the Pcars in the garage, the SUV in the driveway, and the other Porsches in local storage. We did this for a while and I rotated Porsches every few months in the summer. Eventually, I decided to rent a garage at the local race track and now keep two Porsches there all the time, rotating cars to the home garage during the summer. The track is an hour drive away, so it is a bit of a PITA - but worth it!

My life's goal is now a four car garage with four lifts... someday...

Let us know what you choose to do...

Thanks,
-Blake
Old 02-09-2012, 04:45 PM
Floodj
Rennlist Member

Sure no problem keep it ouside.

Mine just finished three years without a garage with no major issues. Keep a good coat of wax on it.
Old 02-09-2012, 06:16 PM
1985mb
Instructor

If it's going to cause a lot of angst, may as well get something other than a 993 for a DD. After all, it's not just the sun but also bird droppings that can really affect paint. If one tended to be paranoid about these things, there's also hail, falling tree limbs and other low-probability events to worry about. How about a Golf TDi?
Old 02-09-2012, 07:47 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Perhaps some window tint can help save the interior from the wrath of the ultra-violet ray? A car cover doesn't work well with a dirty, outside-kept car.
Old 02-10-2012, 08:06 PM
vincer77
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by nile13
I used 2 993 cabs as DDs and park them outside. For the last 8 years now. I deeply don't care if it's "wrong" in anyone's opinion. They are cars.
And explains the wear on your tops.

Quick Reply: Is it wrong to buy a 993 for a DD...and park it outside?