Sponsored by:

RS side skirt woes.

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 01:42 PM
ryano
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RS side skirt woes.

Well I am about ready to throw in the towel and use some polyurethane adhesive.
http://www.ellsworth.com/display/pro...41&Tab=Vendors

I dont know what else to do. One side fit great with the 3M double sided tape but the other seems to not care if there is tape or anything else attached and I cant get it to stay no matter what.

I got the OEM skirts from a fellow 'lister and of course the tabs were missing (like most used ones). Any other thoughts? I cant figure out the zip tie approach others have used... and want it to look tight. Since that area is covered by the stock trim is it a big deal if i used adhesive even if down the road i wanted to remove them off the car?

heres the pic of the one good side!
Attached Images  
Old 02-07-2012, 02:09 PM
gonzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

What's the other side look like?
Old 02-07-2012, 02:15 PM
David Danhof
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ryan, you are welcome to take a look at how I fastened my RS skirts w/ the zip tie approach. Keep in mind my car is not a concour candidate, primarily a track toy so the asthetics are below your standard from what I determine after seeing your car. However, the zip ties work well and are basically invisible if you use black.
Old 02-07-2012, 02:24 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

+1 Zip Ties! you can fix almost anything with them.

I have the GT3Tek skirts and initially installed them without any drilling, but after about a year, the adhesive dried out. A few months ago I put a single screw near the top of the skirt inside the rear wheel well just in front of the tire to hold it. I guess in retrospect, I could have also used a small black ziptie. In either case, the hole was necessary.
Old 02-07-2012, 04:39 PM
9934USC
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought new RS skirts from Gert and my tabs broke while trying to install. I ended up laying down a very thin black silicone bead and then taping the skirts for 24 hours. I was very disappointed about the broken tabs, but the final install looks good. Hopefully the fix will hold but I felt like the oem skirts were a waste of money for how easily they broke.
Old 02-07-2012, 05:10 PM
ryano
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by gonzilla
What's the other side look like?
I have the stock skirt off and showing off my oil lines

Originally Posted by David Danhof
Ryan, you are welcome to take a look at how I fastened my RS skirts w/ the zip tie approach. Keep in mind my car is not a concour candidate, primarily a track toy so the asthetics are below your standard from what I determine after seeing your car. However, the zip ties work well and are basically invisible if you use black.
What are you attaching the zip ties too though? I dont see anything other than the oil lines to attach?

Originally Posted by Kika
+1 Zip Ties! you can fix almost anything with them.

I have the GT3Tek skirts and initially installed them without any drilling, but after about a year, the adhesive dried out. A few months ago I put a single screw near the top of the skirt inside the rear wheel well just in front of the tire to hold it. I guess in retrospect, I could have also used a small black ziptie. In either case, the hole was necessary.
I put a small hole in the fender as well and the back actually fit great. its the middle that is a problem

Originally Posted by llabrot
I bought new RS skirts from Gert and my tabs broke while trying to install. I ended up laying down a very thin black silicone bead and then taping the skirts for 24 hours. I was very disappointed about the broken tabs, but the final install looks good. Hopefully the fix will hold but I felt like the oem skirts were a waste of money for how easily they broke.
They are POS designs. If they just added the heavy clips at the corners of the skirts like the normal sides they would fit great. If Gt3Tek had the correct texture on theirs I would have bought aftermarket for sure.
Old 02-07-2012, 05:35 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

in addition to zip ties, I am a big fan of 2 part epoxy. how about fabricating a new tab using 2 part epoxy? you could easily build it up, make it wider than OEM, but narrow enough to fit into the body.

if need be, the epoxy can be sanded/filed to fit.

can be painted too.
Old 02-07-2012, 05:44 PM
axl911
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I used a strip of metal attached to where the pastic nut goes to push the skirt up. Can take a pic of it later today. It seemed to work well but you will need new plastic nuts.
Old 02-07-2012, 06:05 PM
ryano
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Kika
in addition to zip ties, I am a big fan of 2 part epoxy. how about fabricating a new tab using 2 part epoxy? you could easily build it up, make it wider than OEM, but narrow enough to fit into the body.

if need be, the epoxy can be sanded/filed to fit.

where can you get new tabs?

can be painted too.
Originally Posted by axl911
I used a strip of metal attached to where the pastic nut goes to push the skirt up. Can take a pic of it later today. It seemed to work well but you will need new plastic nuts.
this sounds pretty good. can you get plastic nuts at homedepot? (i never looked)
Old 02-07-2012, 09:35 PM
CalvinC4S
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I suggest the Sikaflex, there really is no need to remove them after they are on.
Old 02-07-2012, 09:41 PM
Jeff96-993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CalvinC4S
I suggest the Sikaflex, there really is no need to remove them after they are on.
You'd still have to remove for an oil change, do you not? Or do the RS skirts have access to the tank filter like the Turbo's do?
Old 02-07-2012, 09:44 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff96-993
You'd still have to remove for an oil change, do you not? Or do the RS skirts have access to the tank filter like the Turbo's do?
You do? I've never touched the horrible fitting ones that came on the yellow car, and I've never given oil changes a second thought.
Old 02-07-2012, 11:59 PM
CalvinC4S
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jeff96-993
They have the door like the turbo.
Old 02-08-2012, 12:30 AM
ryano
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by CalvinC4S
if i were to ever sell the car though.... thats what i am concerned about. i want to be able to reverse all mods. plus the edge of the skirts is VERY thin.... a bead of sika will ooze out on the side I am sure.
Old 02-08-2012, 03:25 PM
axl911
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Here is a pic of what I did to hold up the RS skirt. I did it on all 4 nuts. It works fairly well.

Last edited by axl911; 04-04-2014 at 11:35 AM.

Quick Reply: RS side skirt woes.