Sponsored by:

Gear Oil for 993 C4S

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2012, 09:33 PM
Georj
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gear Oil for 993 C4S

I am ready to do 60K service on my 1997 C4S. After doing extensive research on this forum I was all set to order Mobil Delvac 75W90 gear oil for the manual tranny/rear diff and front diff. Then I went to the Mobil website and I see the following Q&A.

Question:
Which Gear Oil Brand is Best for Porsches with Limited Slip Transaxles?
For Porsches with limited slip transaxles, I've heard that Mobil 1 Synthetic Gear Lube LS 75W-90 is too slippery for the synchros and that Mobil Delvac Synthetic Gear Oil 75W-90 is the preferred lube. What's your opinion?
-- Stan Simm, Winston-Salem, NC

Answer:
Mobil 1 Synthetic Gear Lube LS is specifically designed for limited slip differentials. It contains a nominal amount of friction modifier to satisfy the needs of many applications. Mobil Delvac Synthetic Gear Oil 75W-90 is not a limited slip gear oil.

So now I am consfused. Will Delvac work properly in my differential?

Any 993 C4s using Delvac?

There is lot of discussion on this topic but I will appreciate any latest feedback especially for C4s.

George
Old 02-06-2012, 11:00 PM
adamvandenbos
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I use Mobil1 Delvac 75w90 Gear Oil.
Old 02-06-2012, 11:12 PM
e9stibi
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by adamvandenbos
I use Mobil1 Delvac 75w90 Gear Oil.
+2
Old 02-06-2012, 11:15 PM
kjr914
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Personally, I would have to assume the Mobil 1 website has the proper answer.

Possibly the people using the "Delvac" version are either:
1. non-LSD
2. Didn't know there was a difference and used it by accident
3. Using it knowingly for some reason
4. Confused. There is info out there that seems to imply it, or a version of it, is LSD compatible....

This site I saw recommended by several RLers in a thread:
http://www.lufteknic.com/Merchant2/m...ode=lubricants
Mobil Delvac 75W-90 gear lube (1 gallon)

The replacement for the Mobilube 75W-90 SHC gear lube. Delvac has been market name used in USA towards the semi/fleet maintenance market segment. Hard to find in gallon containers, but we stock it.

Original fill in 996/997 GT3/Cup cars, and GT3Rs. Works well in all 901, 915, G50, G96 gearboxes. Used extensively in Porsche Motorsport products in every grueling test there can be LeMans, Sebring, Daytona, etc. We also use it in our service department in all street and race cars. Works in cars with or without (LSD) limited slip differentials.

Great lube, surpasses all others in research and development.

Mobil Delvac 75W-90 is a fully synthetic drivetrain lubricant engineered to meet the most demanding extended drain and OEM warranty requirements. These products are designed for use in heavy duty drivetrains that require gear lubricants with excellent load-carrying capability and where extreme pressures and shock loading are expected. The state-of-the-art technology in Mobil Delvac 75W-90 delivers unequalled performance for low and high temperature applications, including outstanding oxidation stability, wear protection, corrosion resistance, improved shear stability, extended service capability, and excellent fuel economy.

meets or exceeds the following industry requirements:
API GL-5
API MT-1
SAE J2360

This is NOT the same formula that is available in mass market auto parts stores in quart bottles.

Sold in 1 gallon containers.

Still confused? Me too. Luckily, I didn't use the Delvac version...

Last edited by kjr914; 02-06-2012 at 11:17 PM. Reason: kurrekt uh spelin misteak.
Old 02-06-2012, 11:44 PM
earossi
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Well, if it is confusing to you, I guess that it is confusing to a few others out there whose business it is to build up racing transmissions that all have LSD of some form or another. I just purchased a Motorsports transmission from a prominent shop in New York. I also discussed this transmission with a prominent Porsche shop owner on the West coast. I asked both of the shop owners, independently, what lube should be run in my new transmission. Both, without hesitation, said Mobil Delvac. One of the gentlemen suggested that he had heard good things about Redline 75W90LS lube. So, it appears that in the world of Porsche race cars, Delvac appears to be the first or second choice of lubricant.

I believe that when you read about the formulations of both lubricants, both state that they do not contain friction modifiers.
Old 02-06-2012, 11:44 PM
earossi
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Well, if it is confusing to you, I guess that it is confusing to a few others out there whose business it is to build up racing transmissions that all have LSD of some form or another. I just purchased a Motorsports transmission from a prominent shop in New York. I also discussed this transmission with a prominent Porsche shop owner on the West coast. I asked both of the shop owners, independently, what lube should be run in my new transmission. Both, without hesitation, said Mobil Delvac. One of the gentlemen suggested that he had heard good things about Redline 75W90LS lube. So, it appears that in the world of Porsche race cars, Delvac appears to be the first or second choice of lubricant.

I believe that when you read about the formulations of both lubricants, both state that they do not contain friction modifiers.
Old 02-07-2012, 12:12 AM
trophy
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

A number of Limited Differential builders/ re-manufacturers list Delvac as one of the compatible LSD oils. we have put it in a friends GT3 with rebuilt LSD and works very very well.
Old 02-07-2012, 12:35 AM
ChaseN
Three Wheelin'

I'd take M1's consumer website advice with a grain of salt - if you went on there saying you had a '97 911, and needed to know which engine oil to use, they'd just as likely send you in the direction of their latest 0w-30 "high mileage" "high ZDDP (now with over 700ppm!!)" oil...

And yeah, one more recommendation for Delvac in your G64...
Old 02-07-2012, 11:32 PM
Georj
Intermediate

First of all I want to thank everyone who replied to my post. You guys helped me with the decision to go with Mobil Delvac 75w90. This morning I called Lufteknic to place the order. But before ordering I spoke with one of the technicians there. I asked him how come Mobil on their website are saying this is not for LSD while Lufteknic says it is for both. He explained it very well. Here is his explanation.

He said in 993 the gear and rear differential share the same oil, which we know. So whatever you put is going to be a compromise. If you put LSD grade oil, you will have great LSD but hard shifting and if you put non LSD oil, the LSD may not be operating at the optimum level but you will have smooth shifting. He said many times it comes down to personal choice. In all their work at Lufteknic, he said they use Delvac and have not had any problems.

Based on the feedback from this forum and Lufteknic, I went ahead and ordered Delvac. But there is one little issue. Delvac only comes in one gallon jugs. I need 4.6 Qts (1.6 gallons) to do the front and rear diffs. So I had to order two gallons. After I am done I will be stuck with little over 3 Qts of Delvac. If anyone here is interested, contact me. Since the cap would be open I don’t think I can ship it. It would have to picked up. I am in Fremont, CA.

Quick Reply: Gear Oil for 993 C4S