Sponsored by:

OT: Acura NSX Super Bowl ad with Jerry

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2012, 03:25 PM
dcdude
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default OT: Acura NSX Super Bowl ad with Jerry

Although Elton John was strong and I was in the kitchen during the Clint Eastwood thing, this was far and away the best ad. Apparently there is still at last one car guy left at Rubin Postaer and Assoiates (Honda's ad agency), because not everyone knows (like we do) that Jerry really is this much of a gearhead freak:

Last edited by dcdude; 02-06-2012 at 07:03 PM.
Old 02-06-2012, 04:15 PM
doublecabmel
Three Wheelin'

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

We all know Seinfeld is a huge Porsche fan. I wonder what he thinks about Honda
Old 02-06-2012, 04:48 PM
porscheralph
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 15 Posts

I am amazed that Porsche missed this kind of an opportunity!!!! The new Porsche is just being released - Jerry is Porsche collector, and they let HONDA steal the show with the new NSX???? The NSX is a beauty and will challenge Porsche for sure. Porsche marketing really missed the boat and I bet they are beating their heads against the wall this morning.
Old 02-06-2012, 04:53 PM
adamvandenbos
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default NSX

Originally Posted by doublecabmel
Don't think its about being a Honda fan per say, but a NSX fan. Most gear-heads love the Motorsport History and design of the NSX. I'm one of them

http://www.rsportscars.com/acura/2005-acura-nsx/
Old 02-06-2012, 05:00 PM
brucec59
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by porscheralph
I am amazed that Porsche missed this kind of an opportunity!!!! The new Porsche is just being released - Jerry is Porsche collector, and they let HONDA steal the show with the new NSX???? The NSX is a beauty and will challenge Porsche for sure. Porsche marketing really missed the boat and I bet they are beating their heads against the wall this morning.
+1

I was laughing at the end, then I thought, "Wait. Honda?!?"
Old 02-06-2012, 05:07 PM
dcdude
Drifting

This was a "brand halo" investment spend on the part of American Honda. There's no real ROI on NSX. I don't think PCNA could have afforded to do this. Jerry has to be very expensive, plus the cost of Jay plus high production value and ex$pensive Super Bowl media.

Is there even any 2012 911 television advertising? I expect that if PCNA is putting up that kinda cash it would be behind Panamera and Cayenne in order to pay the bills. Even then, I expect that they would need budget approval from the VW parent, who decided to put the bucks behind the new Beetle, which is a higher volume model than any Porsche, I expect:

Old 02-06-2012, 05:20 PM
M Fig
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

I liked the commercial. Most of the people who were watching the game with me had no idea that Jerry was a car nut...I had to explain it to them. More of them knew about Jay but I don't think any of them knew Jerry was...

anyone have any stats on the new NSX? I used to have one back in the 90's...great cars. Not as an all around daily driver but fun weekend cruiser.
Old 02-06-2012, 05:37 PM
tonypai
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jerry was involved with the last major Porsche ad campaign for the Panamera. He supplied several of the cars for the shooting of the "Generations" commercial and was on set for the filming.

Jerry has a good relationship with Porsche and he'd do just about anything they would ask, include do a commercial for free if SAG would let him. It's not a cost issue, they don't want to exploit their relationship.

Nevertheless, I was surprised to see Jerry in a Honda commercial. Next time I see my advertising buddy I'll be sure to ask him about it.
Old 02-06-2012, 05:40 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by M Fig
anyone have any stats on the new NSX? I used to have one back in the 90's...great cars. Not as an all around daily driver but fun weekend cruiser.
Latest magazines are reporting a mid-mounted V6 with about 310HP. Also 2 electric motors to drive the front wheels... adds another 100 HP. So this will be an AWD hybrid. The same hardware (but with the V6 up front and electrics in the rear) will be used on their future sedans. Great looking car.
Old 02-06-2012, 06:46 PM
axl911
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Front end looks like a Civic.

Back end looks like an Audi.

Engine will be underpowered.

Critics will claim it has no soul.

and

Honda will delay then cancel it.

.... Those will be the facts of life.
Old 02-06-2012, 07:03 PM
RS man
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Another opportunity missed, WTF are the guys at Honda doing! Sounds good, looks bad and it appears underpowered....
Old 02-06-2012, 09:41 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by doublecabmel
I think that he thinks their money is a nice shade of green.

Honda is not faring well, and is pulling out all of the stops on this one, it would seem. They don't build bad cars, they just have no innovation these days.
Old 02-06-2012, 10:05 PM
doberdog

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

The new hybrid system will be in the new RL coming later this year. The V6 will power the rear wheels and the two electric motors will power the fronts. Due to regenerative braking technology Acura claims that the front motors will be able to apply negative force on the inside wheel to aid in cornering. This takes their SH-AWD system to a new level.
Old 02-06-2012, 10:16 PM
chaoscreature
Burning Brakes

310 HP gas powered + an additional 100HP front wheel assist? 400hp doesn't sound too shabby. It's easy to get wrapped up in the BIG numbers but how many people here have tons of fun with a measly 275 HP?

I loved the old NSX (no, I have never driven one only admired them at a distance) and if the new one gets the same type of attention and quality as the 95ish ones than I think it will become another collector car.
If they cheap out on the NSX it will be a real bummer (remember Fords new Thunderbird?) and it will flop.

Does anyone know what the price point is going to be? They were expensive back in the day...
Old 02-06-2012, 10:34 PM
speedy88
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I own a 1997 NSX before. It is one of the car I really regret selling. People can say they are underpowered, looks like a Ferrari, etc... but all the pluses other don't see.

1. NSX is about engineering. Light, energy efficient, above average performance and highly technical. They will NEVER claim it is the fastest or quickest car, it not what Honda is trying to achieve. My '97 stat 0-60MPH 4.9 seconds.

2. Have you check the maintenance on a Ferrari likely?

3. Besides our 993, what other somewhat mass produced vehicle you know holds it value so well. I sold my 1997 with 6K miles on it for $50K 5 years ago. If the car has 20-30K miles on it now, it will easily get $45-50K for it now.

4. Easy to drive. Everything is effortless except for the rear visibility and entry.

5. Easy to maintain, clutch and tires are probably the most expensive items. Clutch $2,400 and tires ~$1,200.

Yes, it is a Honda, but is a very nice Honda! :-)

Quick Reply: OT: Acura NSX Super Bowl ad with Jerry