Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Audi r8? Thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 03:07 AM
vanguard
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got the chance to drive the V10 through Mulholland/PCH1 a few months ago during an Audi test drive event. I loved the gated-shifter, the sound of the v10 soundtrack, and how balanced the car was. What I didn't like was the sticker price. You would think a $150K car would come with customizable settings (ie shock dampening, throttle maps, gear change speeds) than just the ordinary "sport" mode. So instead Audi added technology where I didn't want it. I could feel the eerie "torque-vectoring" when the computer was trying to sort things out for me. I was never sure if and when the car was going to adjust the angles for me.

CONS: The seats were way too big (I was constantly sliding around, it didnt have inflatable seat bladders to hold you in place), the shifter was too high up (although it looks like the new 991 is like this), the clutch pedal was too far to the right which cramped my legs
PROS: Amazingly balanced, no body roll, great interior, drop dead looks.

I feel its like the euro version of the NSX (the V8 at least). Great looking, great handling, but not very fast around the track (a BOSS 302 is faster around Laguna Seca). So depending on what you are looking for (like a great looking GT cruiser that drives the car for you like the TT RS), it may fit the bill.
Old 02-07-2012, 04:59 PM
2Many Cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A very nice looking car but you do see them around (at least in this area) so if you're looking for exclusivity I'm not sure how exclusive they'll be once production ends after however many years they choose to make them. Having owned a couple of mid-engined cars there is nothing quite like them in the handling department so if that's what matters most you won't find any front/rear engined substitutes that are quite the same feel. I love the R8 but if you can take a higher servicing cost/risk there are lots of alternatives at a similar purchase price point that are pretty interesting (at least in my book) - like Ferrari 550/575, Aston Vanquish or DB9, etc. Always fun to contemplate even if you never pull the trigger.
Old 02-07-2012, 06:10 PM
Greg964
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I drove the R8 4.2L at the Audi Driving Experience at Pocono Speedway and was very impressed. If I was in the market for a $100k sports or exotic car I would seriously consider one. I had an RS4 as a daily driver for 3 years and loved it. In fact I wish I kept it.

Quick Reply: Audi r8? Thoughts?